US Harper’s Bazaar September 2018 : Bruce & Jessica Springsteen by Mario Sorrenti

Quoting a famous philosopher from Drag Race:

"We all make choices, but that (Mark Seliger editorial) was a choice."

Glenda has no taste and anyone who did I.e. Brana Wolf has been replaced by people like Joanna Hilman who are equally as tasteless as Glenda.
I don’t understand, Brana still in the masthead...

^^^ She’s Melanie Ward… I’m sure her position and contract with Condé Nast and Bazaar is a lot more lenient than the lowly commoners’.

Maybe I’m being way too kind to Glenda but I suspect she knows she can’t compete with the brand of influence Anna has with both Hollywood and fashion, and she knows that she doesn’t have the remotest chance with the InstaKidz. So her demographic is the Victoria Secret’s coveting, Michael Kors’ MK carrying, and outlet mall shopping reader. This is inspirational and aspirational to that demographic. Glenda seems to know her place in the market, and unfortunately that place is cheap, shallow, garish and basic.

If Liz and Fabien set the template for HF presentation that’s of the highest standards, and still accessible to the masses— as inspiration as it was aspiration, Glenda and whoever her “art director” here is, has succeeded in setting the template for the lowest of the low standards in HF presentation— one that is all about celebrities wearing brand names, with nothing else. Even the most soulless of PR pressbook InStyle, is doing that sort of thing with better finesse.

(The pay/perks must be incredible for Carine to stay and be associated with this mess.)

So I made a Sunday pilgrimage into town to get a few things, this magazine included, only to see the cover price has gone up to £7.50!

That is a shocking amount of money to pay for Bruce Springsteen on the front of a fashion magazine. Needless to say, I didn't.

I know this is about two months old by this point - but this is still the craziest thing I've seen a major title do for some time. In a world where magazines are trying to stem the tide of falling newsstand sales, who would think it makes sense to have Bruce Springsteen as the leading light on your September issue?

^UGH, now I almost regret buying this for £7.50 today!

You're absolutely right, though. Bruce Springsteen on the cover of a fashion magazine is a downright joke... and I did only buy this purely based off the fact that I've bought American Harper's Bazaar religiously for years. The magazine definitely looked outta place alongside the likes of Vogue, Allure and InStyle.

I was definitely in two minds, because no matter how bland the editorials are, there's a certain elegance in the design of the front sections, which I'm always attracted to... it's like a glossy catalogue of conventional glamour.

I'm surprised they didn't put Kim Kardashian on the front (again), especially considering her husband and kids are on the subscribers cover. It's not as if Bruce has a L'Oreal contract in the pipeline, or is a notable style icon for women. The only fashion-related item I can imagine him selling to Bazaar readers is laundry detergent for dirty jeans.

Seems bazaar has such low standards now lol.

Now? They've been doing this for waaay longer, easily more than 20 years! Paris & Nicole with their pooches on the cover, and on the inside, shopping at the mall, Karl Lagerfeld's vampire edits, Kim Kardashian, this magazine is pure (sic) American cheese! At least at times there was a sense of playfulness in their tacky.........like the Simpsons meets Linda Evangelista, or Sesame Street edit - the kind of stories that would only work for them, but now it's just sad. Who needs a Mary & Elizabeth cosplay which looks like it was taken off old reruns of The Turdors. Who needs another Ralph Lauren edit (who btw looks like an elderly Alfred E Neumann here.) Or an activist edit, US Bazaar-style. Or another hollow glamour shoot with zero substance with the Crazy Rich Asians cast?

I'm only impressed with Tom Pecheaux's edit. My God, always knew the man is a master with the brush, but he not only knows how to perfect beauty, but also how to sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->