US Vogue April 2008 : Gisele Bündchen & LeBron James by Annie Leibovitz

Raquel Zimmermann
"Perfect Ten"
Ph. Mario Testino
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman

Faith, a boquet of cyber roses for you.:flower:

I'm not the biggest Testino fan but this editorial is pure poetry in pictures. I'm in awe...there's a symmetry here that seems so natural and graceful. Raquel and Bryan Clay are just flowing...:heart:

Could someone explain to me the appeal or the reasoning behind having one person in three different editorials in one magazine? Especially when that model is in that magazine every month.

I mean, I get that Anna likes Caroline, but isn't this a bit ridiculous? It's almost like Caroline knows some dirty secret that Anna doesn't want getting out or something. There are many great models, why now change it up at least once in a while.

ETA: I love that Perfect Ten ed though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the flow of the fabric and movement in Raquel's edit :wub:
Thank you for posting :flower:

The Caroline+Phelps ed is still the best, love tat avatar of urs hfgl...thx for the cool scans Faith!!!

There seems to be quite a lot of controversy in the media over the use of LeBron and as already mentioned the king kong connotations. I like the concept of using athletes but it just seems like a gimmick to me.

There seems to be quite a lot of controversy in the media over the use of LeBron and as already mentioned the king kong connotations. I like the concept of using athletes but it just seems like a gimmick to me.

I was about to say. Am i the only one who finds the cover offensive?

voguekingkong031708.jpg

LeBron James seems to be embodying ugly stereotypes about black men: The wild, savage, white-woman-obsessed beast.

I wonder wtf Annie Leibovitz or Vogue where thinking.

^ I don't find it offensive at all I think the comparison to king kong is pretty offensive

i dunno I just thought that he was making that face to portray like his game face you know that he's tough and what not... I think people are reading WAY into it.

I mean I don't like this cover and most of the editorials were pretty dry for me... it's def an unflattering photo of both LeBron and Gisele but I think that whole king kong scenario is a bit ridiculous sorry I think people need to just accept it for what it is... and if Lebron and Gisele are okay with it then I dont see why others are making a big deal out of nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I don't find it offensive at all I think the comparison to king kong is pretty offensive

i dunno I just thought that he was making that face to portray like his game face you know that he's tough and what not... I think people are reading WAY into it.

I mean I don't like this cover and most of the editorials were pretty dry for me... it's def an unflattering photo of both LeBron and Gisele but I think that whole king kong scenario is a bit ridiculous sorry I think people need to just accept it for what it is... and if Lebron and Gisele are okay with it then I dont see why others are making a big deal out of nothing.

That's what I was wondering. I certainly didn't think that when I saw the cover but it is a comment that has been discussed in the media and I thought it was interesting that it had been echoed here. I think maybe because it's US Vogue which is notoriously WASPish , as is fashion (look at the fuss over Prada and Jourdan Dunn) an issue of race will always arise no matter how someone who isn't white is portrayed in the magazine. People are always going to have an issue with it because often I think Vogue is either trying to please or placate commentators and perhaps doesn't directly engage with the issue of representation like they should.

On a side note I love Raquel's editorial she is perfect for it.

That's what I was wondering. I certainly didn't think that when I saw the cover but it is a comment that has been discussed in the media and I thought it was interesting that it had been echoed here. I think maybe because it's US Vogue which is notoriously WASPish , as is fashion (look at the fuss over Prada and Jourdan Dunn) an issue of race will always arise no matter how someone who isn't white is portrayed in the magazine. People are always going to have an issue with it because often I think Vogue is either trying to please or placate commentators and perhaps doesn't directly engage with the issue of representation like they should.

On a side note I love Raquel's editorial she is perfect for it.

Same here, i didnt think of anything at first until i read an article about this and then it did make sense.

I dont think anyone is puilling the race card here but either way you look at it, it is a good and reasonable observation.

Also, i find it pretty odd to see the first african american male on the cover of Vogue portrayed like this.

^ good point... both of you
Perhaps Vogue is trying WAY too hard it just comes off badly :(

but yea... I just am still so disappointed in the ed's :( I mean it's different but :( so blah it's def lacking

Thanks a lot for the scans, Faith! This issue is quite good, actually. And I have to admit that Caroline Trentini is growing on me: she is very beautiful, has a killer body and it's not her fault that Anna Wintour has her jumping around all the time. And, totally off the topic, Faith, do you happen to have Vogue Living with Rachel Weisz on the cover? If you do, can you scan Caroline's ed? Thanks in advance.

^This was a store-bought issue, so Vogue Living wasn't included :flower: It should come with my subscription copy, though...

I really like this issue, even if just for the editorials. :smile: I love the athletes mixed in, it just has a beautiful symmetry to it. :smile: It was informative as well!
As for the cover-- I didn't think it was offensive-- but I certainly did think it was new! I don't believe I've ever thought of Lebron James being on the cover of US Women's Vogue, but that's fine. :smile:

^^^ That's strange, I didn't get Vogue Living either. :(

It's at my store though, I may just pick it up. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->