US Vogue April 2008 : Gisele Bündchen & LeBron James by Annie Leibovitz

I believe I've said it before and I'll say it again.I hate this cover.

Even Sienna's sickly looking January 2006 cover with her in the puke green Chloe dress was more tolerable.

I don't know, you could fill twenty workshops talking about the unfair representation of women as being a thin as a toothpick, as Gisi is on that cover, and how that negatively impacts on American womanhood. You could talk the talk forever.

Everything in fashion is an affront to fair play, it's just that our eyes have accepted most of it, but black people on the cover of US Vogue is still news, no matter what they're doing.

who is that guy?

Anna looks like she could be one of the witches from that Roald Dahl book.

^And Gawker continues what it does best...gathering the most amusing media content from all over! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm black and I really don't get the controversy. Both of them look pretty horrid on the cover, it was just not a great selection. The King Kong reference isn't nice at all either...

Same here. I'm black, and I didn't get a racial undertone at all. Just a horrible cover, for both!

And yes, I go to a NBA game once a week, I've seen Lebron play. That's the face and stance he's done plenty of times after dunking, for ex. It would be different if I'd never seen him with that face or that stance before, then maybe I'd wonder why they made him do that.

I mean, some people will see "racism" in anything.

i missed the april issue.any good articles? what was that "you are not what you eat" article all about?any new info?

i missed the april issue.any good articles? what was that "you are not what you eat" article all about?any new info?

Jeffrey's Steingarten's articles are always interesting as he's a wonderful writer...there was a lot about weight in this issue...which of course we won't be discussing here.

:flower:

Caroline #1 is boring... Caroline #2 is repetitive... Caroline #3 is over-exposed...
Raquel is v. pretty
BRYAN CLAY IS HOT!!!

Apparently, this issue was a flop (picture me shocked. Not:(

The issue sold 350,000 copies on the newsstand, according to ABC Rapid Report, well below last year's first-half average of 452,207. It's Vogue's worst-selling April issue since 2001; the month is usually an above-average one for sales thanks to the annual "Shape Issue."

Does anyone have scans of the "Pride of the Nation" edit with the feamle athletes? I did a search in the thread but couldn't find anything. Thanks. :smile:

Photo Annie Leibovitz
Editor Tonne Goodman
Models LeBron James, Gisele Bündchen
Hair Garren
Makeup Gucci Westman
Grooming Kevin" KB" Brown

vogue archive

Last edited:
Perfect Ten
Photo Mario Testino
Editor Tonne Goodman
Models Bryan Clay, Raquel Zimmermann
Hair Christiaan
Makeup Gucci Westman

vogue archive

Dream Team Pt. 1
Photo Annie Leibovitz
Editor Tonne Goodman
By Robert Sullivan
Cast Gisele Bündchen, LeBron James, Michael Phelps, Caroline Trentini, Apolo Anton Ohno, Doutzen Kroes, Jared Rome, Raquel Zimmermann, Shaun White, Daria Werbowy
Hair Garren, Didier Malige, Christiaan
Makeup Gucci Westman, Brigitte Reiss-Andersen

Pride of the Nation
Photo Annie Leibovitz
Editor Phyllis Posnick
Athletes Allyson Felix, Kate Ziegler, Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin, Chellsie Memmel, Alicia Sacramone, Jennifer Nichols, Ronda Rousey
Hair Tim Rogers
Makeup Carla White

vogue archive

Supreme Fitness, A Mind of Her Own
Photo Jonathan Becker
Editor Alexandra Kotur
By Eve MacSweeney
Subject Jill Scott
Hair Chuck Amos
Makeup Rudy Calvo

vogue archive

Users who are viewing this thread