US Vogue February 2018 : Serena Williams by Mario Testino

LOL @ the predictable surprise that Anna’s Vogue is so pedestrian.

Time and time again, her Vogue isn’t the top-seller because it’s the epitome of visionary HF-dreammaking. It’s a top-seller because the hausfrau in Ohio, the girl working at the Marshalls outlet in Florida, and the sophomore and her mum in Idaho all can relate to the accessible “People Magazine” aesthetic. Anna’s Vogue is an entry-level to the fashion world. And as much as I may be against her aesthetic and direction at every turn, she knows exactly what she’s doing, and this cover is doing its job selling to the masses. She’s the Hollywood blockbuster of fashion publications: Accessible, safe and formulaic, but with big names.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope they styled her differently. I mean, I get it, they’re trying to achieve the natural look, but come on, all three covers look the same.

First cover, hair blown to the left. One piece
Second cover, hair blown to the right. Body con dress
Third cover, hair blown to the left, body con dress

Vogue makes Vanity Fair look like they’re trying. At keast VF styled her differently (hair, styling)

I... LOVE this!! Absolutely love this!

To me, it feels VERY US Vogue. It IS basically People magazine meets fashion. And I think this cover works perfectly well for that. I'd legit buy it (if I didn't already have a subscription.)

This ain't Vogue Italia, Vogue UK, Paris, even China. This is US Vogue and it is generic and clean and safe AF. But this is still such a great cover :wub:

I just hope they styled her differently. I mean, I get it, they’re trying to achieve the natural look, but come on, all three covers look the same.

First cover, hair blown to the left. One piece
Second cover, hair blown to the right. Body con dress
Third cover, hair blown to the left, body con dress

Vogue makes Vanity Fair look like they’re trying. At keast VF styled her differently (hair, styling)

Do you remember her last cover? Chaka Khan hair, bodycon dress. She got an edit after that - same recipe. Now this.

This is straight up a People cover. Not People meets fashion. Don't hate it though because it's very US Vogue.

Also, see I told you. This magazine has a limited selection of WOC. Lupita Jan, Serena Feb. Don’t let 2017 fool you. There are so many WOC out there who are killing it, and Serena gets the cover because she got a child and she’s a favorite. Yup.

my other post got deleted :smile:rolleyes:smile: because i didn't add anything 'substantive' so i'll try again.

lol. this is a funny post.

I don't like it. She's so boring as well. Hopefully the contents are good.

If I saw this on the newsstand I'd assume it was some trashy tabloid cover like OK! or People. Hopefully Anna steps it up for the March issue because 2018 isn't off to a great start for US Vogue.

I actually think Serena herself looks wonderful on the cover. I do have a problem with how she's holding the child. Seems so cold and distant, as if it were an accessory or an afterthought. Makes for an awkward composition too. That last shot of them two where she's wearing a navy dress would've been a better cover. It looks much more intimate.

I actually think Serena herself looks wonderful on the cover. I do have a problem with how she's holding the child. Seems so cold and distant, as if it were an accessory or an afterthought. Makes for an awkward composition too. That last shot of them two where she's wearing a navy dress would've been a better cover. It looks much more intimate.

I was afraid to be the first to say the child looks like a prop she has no connection with. She looks like a bodybuilder demonstrating her physical prowess by showing us how she can hold a baby with no effort.

In the context of Vogue US, that is clearly just a lifestyle magazine, it’s quite a fresh happy image of Serena, i like it, sans baby it would be quite a nice cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I do agree with the comments about it looking like a People cover, I still really like it! Serena looks beautiful in the shots

I love all the red, and the sight of a true champion on the cover - but I have absolutely no interest in babies or any sort of celebrity pyjama party celebrating the fact.

That said, one of the premier sportswomen in the world adjusting to additional roles as a wife and mother probably makes for a far more interesting read than most of the promotional blurb that get churned out in the magazine.

I think that Anna realized that 50 SOG it's a terrible franchise, and that's the reason that we don't see Dakota here. I don't know if Serena is Vogue material, but I want to hug her! She looks adorable, and her child maybe is the first baby to appear on the cover of American Vogue (take that Kaia :lol: but still love you)

I personally love the cover. I don't know why people on here always seem to forget that American Vogue is a commercial magazine and this is something that I imagine it's audience will respond very positively toward. Serena looks beautiful and the shot with her family is lovely!

When I saw this, I couldn't believe it. Is Anna's vision so limited now she's running the same people on covers every month? Should we expect Jennifer Lawrence to get the March 2018 cover and if not her Gigi Hadid? Anna is stuck in a bad rut where being innovative is nonexistent.

I think this is stunning. I love literally everything about it, from Serena's gorgeous smile, to that flawlessly sculpted Versace, to the red lip and Whitney-circa-1988-hair, to Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr's adorable face and balled up fist.

It's perfectly executed, in my opinion. And, frankly, Serena Williams is literally the greatest female athlete in modern history. She is an inspiration for millions and millions of people across the globe, she's well-liked by her peers within her industry and she's always maintained a relationship with Vogue and people within the fashion industry.

Serena Williams will always be Vogue worthy and, in fact, Vogue is honoured and elevated by having her.

Despite it being so pedestrian it makes my eyes glaze over... I lowkey like the cover. That Versace dress is working wonders on her. I just wish the baby was looking at the camera

Completely agree with the cover looking more suited to a magazine like Vanity Fair, People or US Weekly but I like it. As much as his work has arguably been on a decline lately, I always like to see Mario Testino shooting for American Vogue and I love how fresh this cover feels for February.

boring is worse than ugly in my opinion. so i rather a hideous yet bold cover than a lifeless look from People magazine

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->