US Vogue November 15, 1958 : Monique Chevalier by Richard Rutledge

Clairol
Photo Unknown
Model Sunny Harnett

Maidenform Blue Horizon
Photo Unknown
Model Unknown

vogue archive

So exciting to see Louise's work in Vogue!
Yes it is! This was her first shoot for Vogue. After 22 years at Harper's Bazaar she quit them when the new art director Henry Wolf asked to look through her viewfinder whilst she was shooting. She simply said 'No!" and walked out the door.
You just don't do that to an illustrious artist with 86 Harper's covers, 600 colour pages and over 2000 black and white pages.
But since Carmel Snow and Brodovitch both left she knew it was time to move.
She only stayed at Vogue for two years before retiring completely.
Truth be told, Harper's Bazaar was the leading magazine until this time and I dearly wish we had access to to their archives!

Christian Dior Miss Dior
Illustrator René Gruau

This ad by René Gruau is just stunning.
I have a whole new admiration for these illustrators since you started posting their work. Thank you so much!

Yes it is! This was her first shoot for Vogue. After 22 years at Harper's Bazaar she quit them when the new art director Henry Wolf asked to look through her viewfinder whilst she was shooting. She simply said 'No!" and walked out the door.
You just don't do that to an illustrious artist with 86 Harper's covers, 600 colour pages and over 2000 black and white pages.
But since Carmel Snow and Brodovitch both left she knew it was time to move.
She only stayed at Vogue for two years before retiring completely.
Truth be told, Harper's Bazaar was the leading magazine until this time and I dearly wish we had access to to their archives!
Didn't know that about Louise. Thank you for sharing @Jacek !
Oh and what I'd give to have access to the Bazaar archive. I keep hoping they make an announcement regarding an archive.

QUOTE="justaguy, post: 30875428, member: 129353"]Didn't know that about Louise. Thank you for sharing @Jacek !
Oh and what I'd give to have access to the Bazaar archive. I keep hoping they make an announcement regarding an archive.[/QUOTE]

A company called ProQuest owns the rights to Vogue and Harper's archives and they licence these out to universities, libraries, fashion schools etc. for a great deal of money. I think the Vogue one is around $20,000 per year and the Harper's one about $14,000. Anyone can access it if they pay the licence. Got cash?

The Getty Institute here in LA has access to the Harper's archive but we can only access it to look - can't download anything which is super frustrating! But it's part of the licensing terms. Here in Los Angeles the library system pays for the Vogue archive but not the Harper's one - I have tried to find the reason and spent hours calling and emailing but no-one knows anything.

ProQuest also has a British fashion magazine database which includes most of the great British magazines including Harper's and Queen (but not British Vogue) and I would loooove to access that as well. Can't find anywhere in LA that subscribes. Don't know where you live but maybe you could call your head librarian and see who in the area has access? The librarian here told me who has access to the Vogue and Harper's archives in LA. I've written to Porquest proquest.com but they are in the business of selling the databases so don't really care unless you have $20 grand a year to spend. I am making a documentary on 70s fashion photography www.artbedamned.com so have been researching all this for years. If I can help in anyway let me know.

QUOTE="justaguy, post: 30875428, member: 129353"]Didn't know that about Louise. Thank you for sharing @Jacek !
Oh and what I'd give to have access to the Bazaar archive. I keep hoping they make an announcement regarding an archive.

A company called ProQuest owns the rights to Vogue and Harper's archives and they licence these out to universities, libraries, fashion schools etc. for a great deal of money. I think the Vogue one is around $20,000 per year and the Harper's one about $14,000. Anyone can access it if they pay the licence. Got cash?

The Getty Institute here in LA has access to the Harper's archive but we can only access it to look - can't download anything which is super frustrating! But it's part of the licensing terms. Here in Los Angeles the library system pays for the Vogue archive but not the Harper's one - I have tried to find the reason and spent hours calling and emailing but no-one knows anything.

ProQuest also has a British fashion magazine database which includes most of the great British magazines including Harper's and Queen (but not British Vogue) and I would loooove to access that as well. Can't find anywhere in LA that subscribes. Don't know where you live but maybe you could call your head librarian and see who in the area has access? The librarian here told me who has access to the Vogue and Harper's archives in LA. I've written to Porquest proquest.com but they are in the business of selling the databases so don't really care unless you have $20 grand a year to spend. I am making a documentary on 70s fashion photography www.artbedamned.com so have been researching all this for years. If I can help in anyway let me know.[/QUOTE]
What a beautiful site. Did you create it?

Jack Winter
Mary Hilem, Monique Chevalier, Unknown
20 (30).jpeg

Talbott
Suzy Parker
48 (21).jpeg

Martex
Isabella Albonico
50 (18).jpeg

du Maurier
Sara Thom
74 (16).jpeg