US Vogue September 2018 : Beyoncé by Tyler Mitchell

And if we reach the point of being inclusive - if we're all represented in a way that we're happy with, what would fashion be about then?

For me, the problem about fashion lately is not inclusion but mediocrity. And the sad thing is that people in the industry try to hide their mediocrity with inclusion...
So we have those boring editorials, collections and campaigns but at the same time, those very intellectual non-sense show notes or texts to go with it.

I don't know if we should be represented in a way we're happy with but it's important to show a fair representation of the world. Fashion still has to be exclusive but exclusive in taste...
With the idea of going mass, the taste level has dropped drastically.

People in the industry believe in a naive way that being inclusive will save their businesses or increase the numbers of their readers. No, creativity will do that. But if you're inclusive enough, the cachet and the value will be raised.

The 90's were a very diverse era compared to the late part of the 00's but the creativity was at it fullest.

And the sad thing is that people in the industry try to hide their mediocrity with inclusion....

Where? I have seen more non-inclusive mediocre works than the other way around. But I don't see people complaining about the lack of diversity, they only complain about mediocrity. Diversity should be celebrated not questioned... Just saying...

Last edited:
What industry or respective magazine isn't addressing or at least acknowledging the lack of racial or gender diversity within their given field. Tech and design industries comes to mind.

As far as inclusion and diversity within the dying art and business of the print publication. It's too little too late to save or revive the the industry. Perhaps this new found inclusion will expand the parameters of the current targeted audience and put them under one roof, in this case shared ad or editorial space in the pages of a magazine.

Even the day when flipping through a fashion magazine and a Black, Indian or Asian model on the pages becomes a non-event, and the messages celebrate diversity, self-acceptance still won't become the new media message norm.

Our newly enlightened selves will still be lacking in some respect. How else will (e-) commerce sell services or move material goods?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where? I have seen more non-inclusive mediocre works than the other way around. But I don't see people complaining about the lack of diversity, they only complain about mediocrity. Diversity should be celebrated not questioned... Just saying...

Inclusivity is a bit used as a marketing tool when it should be something more genuine. I would love to see editors and brands put more thoughts on their products, on the creativity rather than explaining how they are inclusive, if that make sense.
Just be diverse and show diversity in your work, we don't need to see a text, or a lackluster editorial or collection being used in the conversation as part of a narrative..

I had that problem for example with that cover and story Edward did for Vogue Uk where they were all dressed in military green. A lackluster thing ed but supported by that beautiful text and thing. No, show me beautiful people, beautiful styling, beautiful photography...

But as you said, and this is the most important...Diversity should always be celebrated.

Last edited:
Moderator's Note: Please stay on topic. This thread is about the content of the September 2018 issue. Any off topic or inflammatory posts or their responses may be deleted and members may be censured. Please see the pinned rules for this forum here.

American vogue covers are The most boring and un-inspiring of any of the vogues out there so this cover is no worse than any of the others that have come before

I don't get it why the september issues used the "spring" background on the editorials. Look foward to the rest of the content.

It seems the digital version is out and according to people who had it from weibo.com, this issue has 614 pages.

Coat Check
Photographer: Daniel Jackson
Stylist: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Garren
Make-up: Susie Sobol
Set Design: Paul Preiss
Models: Imaan Hammam, Fei Fei Sun, Ellen Rosa, Hoyeon Jung, Abby Champion, Grace Elizabeth & Yasmin Wijnaldum

US Vogue Digital Edition

She's Electric
Photographer: Angelo Pennetta
Stylist: Alex Harrington
Hair: Akki
Make-up: Fara Homidi
Set Design: Andy Harman
Model: Vittoria Ceretti

US Vogue Digital Edition

For me, the problem about fashion lately is not inclusion but mediocrity. And the sad thing is that people in the industry try to hide their mediocrity with inclusion...
So we have those boring editorials, collections and campaigns but at the same time, those very intellectual non-sense show notes or texts to go with it.

I don't know if we should be represented in a way we're happy with but it's important to show a fair representation of the world. Fashion still has to be exclusive but exclusive in taste...
With the idea of going mass, the taste level has dropped drastically.

People in the industry believe in a naive way that being inclusive will save their businesses or increase the numbers of their readers. No, creativity will do that. But if you're inclusive enough, the cachet and the value will be raised.

The 90's were a very diverse era compared to the late part of the 00's but the creativity was at it fullest.

Why do you keep trying to relate the matter of diversity with quality of fashion images?

^^
I'm just stating what i'm seeing accross the industry. In this case fashion magazine...But i guess what i'm trying to say is not as clear as i think it is.

Nevertheless, this is a good issue, a very good issue.
All those eds are exactly what i think US Vogue needed. It's almost perfect for me...And that last Vittoria story is so fun! I love it and i'm surprise to see something like that on American Vogue.

It's weird, we can notice a change but everything looks quite familiar. Less celebrities and more models & designers...This is all perfect!
Bravo!

Daniel Jackson is perfect for US Vogue :heart::heart::heart: Love his editorial.

Really? I like the edit but it could be Demarchelier or Sims. Everyone morphs into the same person at US Vogue.

awww... Angelo Pennetta trying really hard to be Martin Parr.

Hedi cleans up well. :shifty:

The number of editorials is kind of lacking for a September blockbuster. Meisel inspiration and composition aside, the mood of Jansson's and Jackson's editorials feels like the good old days of US Vogue, where you actually felt excited to see the more out there pieces from the F/W collections in a dreamy scenario vs July's/August's realistic and literal interpretations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->