Vanity Fair September 2018 : Michelle Williams by Collier Schorr

zzzyao76

Reaction score
michelle-williams-09-18-cover.jpg

vanityfair

It could’ve been quite a stunning cover, if only her facial expression wasn’t that harsh as in this shot.

Does the editor of this magazine know what Vanity Fair is? It's history? What it's always been?
This cover is DIRE. Michelle Williams is a wonderful actress, but she looks stiff and bored here,
which seems to be Collier Schorr's signature style.

VF was one of the first magazines I ever subscribed to, but this sad new era is not fueling my dreams and desires.

Okay I love this.

I feel the vulnerability. Some may dislike her facial expression, but its giving me a lot of emotions. Coupled by the text. I love it!

Yes Mon, but for September?? Crikey! My prayers have been answered and it's not another unflattering close-up, but this is far too severe for any magazine cover. Add to that the fake-looking backdrop and Zara styling.

This woman's got absolutely no business running a magazine like VF. Sales are down, staff are getting sacked left right and centre, and she puts an indie actress on arguably the most hyped issue of the year. And I say that as a massive Michelle Williams fan. Also, that coverline better not allude to Heath Ledger again.

The only justification for this head-scratching choice is that LV must've come through with a cheque. Indeed she's probably in head to toe LV on this cover.

She looks very very stern in this photo. Quite happy to see her, and actually very interested to read the interview. I like the styling and the colours ... it's really just her intense facial expression that's not working for me.

She looks like a displeased teacher with a bad back, so I guess it's the September 'back to school' issue.

I'm not sure if I love the cover (or only like it) but the full editorial is amazing.

She looks like a german boy, angry that his parents abandoned him at some dreary boarding school. Not good.

they want to look more real, after that photoshop disaster

"I never gave up on love" accompanied with basically a frown. Couldn't they have found a shot with her smiling? Ugh.

I love the retro style but her pose reminds me that:
tumblr_pc442roMuM1rh7m9yo1_1280.jpg

monsieurrobot @ tumblr

she seems a pretty weak choice for Sep issue

I like her but I'm so tired of her being shot & styled like a cowboy or a tomboy.

I've found all the new Vanity Fair covers to be almost right. There are always good elements, or at least you can see the idea of what they were going for, but they've all fallen a little bit short. I do like that they're attempting a more modern take on celebrity portraiture but I don't think they should abandon glitz and glamour altogether.

This is one of those covers that I think would work if it had more text - I'm kind of missing the typical VF style of splashing the star's name in huge writing in the lower middle section of the cover.

This is just bad photography in my eyes. You have a beautiful, down to earth actress who can be very photogenic in front of the right lens and in nearly every photo her face doesn't match what's going on with the body. You, as a photographer, must be able to capture moments where everything comes together, and that's what sets a good photographer apart from the rest for me. Otherwise we'd all be photographers.

The styling is all over the place and the posing completely try hard. I'm a big fan of Samira's styling but what's with the same sweater in different colors, same swimsuit from different angles and same ugly Everlast shorts in two shots.

Despite the repetitive use of garments these images and styling choices do not mesh nor unify any of the disparate stylistic themes. Willy Wonka come-hither secretary vibes on the cover, stark Jansson-esque sporty swim concept, Brokeback Mountain tomboy and concerned boxer in the ring engulfed by ginormous gloves and shorts. And Chloe Sevingy thriftstore kitch for NYLON c early 2000s for good measure.

VF needs to step it up on their visual story telling, editorial-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjmiddleton
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->