Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2011 - *Please see first post before posting* - #5

Discussion in 'The ETC's of the Modeling World' started by tFS Thread Manager, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dream angel

dream angel New Member

^ LOL! I don't think its a huge deal, I mean you can't really see anything. Plus those robs are really slippery. Remember this video of Candice from last year where she complains about it sliding at the end lol.

http://youtu.be/o5G61fJhf5g

2. Gabriel29

Gabriel29 New Member

What exactly is this viewing party event? Is it open to the public? Can we go?

3. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Active Member

I don't think we can...that's why i said I wanna go! They make these things impossible to go to. Like I'm sure people would pay for tickets to the VSFS, but they don't sell them to the public.

4. vivaglam

vivaglam New Member

Lindsay was promoting the show this morning during the Thanksgiving Day parade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Zann

Zann New Member

Poor Lily A looked horrible during her promo for the NFL. They showed a clip during her walk during Pink! And it was baddddd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. models_vlada

models_vlada New Member

I agree, i don't know if in America is a sensitive topic, but i don't get why there has to be a Black Model or Asian, i think they should put the 6 angels that they think will represent VS better despite of their race.... following to the Chanel initial topic, i would love if she got replaced by Joan Smalls, or maaaaaybe Lais.

7. Nefertiti87

Nefertiti87 New Member

Hey guys :)
    I was wandering if the "VS people" have some employees who read forums like this and research what the fans like or dislike in the shows.
    Do they care what we fans think? Can discussions like this change anything in the next shows?

8. happycanadian

happycanadian Active Member

yes - but you're European, models_vlada. and you're coming from a Eurocentric perspective. Victoria's Secret isn't PRADA. it's not an Italian company,where it would make sense to have someone who looks like an Italian nationalist fronting the campaign. VS is mass-market American. they have to appeal to everyone and be able to capture what the best of "Americana" looks like. and it doesn't necessarily have a particular face. it's a "melting pot" - a blend of everything and everyone. and that's why it's important for there to be a black Angel. because African Americans make up a large part of the buying population and they need representation. VS has always had an african american contract girl (Tyra, Oluchi, Selita, Emanuela, Chanel) and i'm pretty certain that, especially right now, they can find plenty of black models who can represent the brand perfectly.

9. nrllaless

nrllaless New Member

This is for sure the ideal situation, but often the case, when left in the hands of those who are part of the majority group, and aren't, idk if 'aware' would be the right word, that the models representative of the brand should be diverse in all aspects - personality, looks, physical appearance, etc - you end up with a roster of Angels who all look the same.

Most times the only way you'll get diversity is if they go out of the way to have a 'black' angel, 'asian' angel, etc. Again, it's unfortunate that labels like these have to be applied in order to get diversity, but that's sometimes the only way you'll get it.

10. models_vlada

models_vlada New Member

Sounds quite logical, since Vs is a Big Brand with a well-defined marketing strategy, and it has to represent all of the possible buyers. Anyway i'm still not liking Chanel though. ahahaha :lol:

11. Zann

Zann New Member

It's rumored that some of the VS people read this thread. I don't know if it's legit or not but I think last year or the year before that it was said that they read it.

I think it would be critical for them to at least get some kind of feedback. I am sure they get feedback from CBS as far as ratings go but I am not sure if they ever get feedback from viewers watching the show and their opinions on technical issues and models. They might have letters sent to them but you never know if it gets read by the higher ups.

It would be neat if they did read this thread. Clearly we are all here because we enjoy the vsfs or we enjoy our fav model getting the job but I think VS should at least know how we feel when they mess something up (i.e MUSIC)

12. agee

agee Active Member

If they showed the clip where she swung the bag and then danced at the end of the runway, I thought that was great.

13. Juliax

Juliax New Member

1.Europe and Russia in particular is a huge melting pot as well. Not just USA.
    2. You can not appeal to everyone.

If VS Angels are great, it's not the most important what skin color or nationality they have. IMO of course.

14. tlg00

tlg00 New Member

All of the footage that I've seen of Lily's Pink walk looks good, in the shots that they've been showing in the pre-released footage and in the bootleg video too. It's her ballet walk that looks like it might be a little stiff in one of the tapings. Her Pink walk is fine.

Yes, they read these threads. A day or two after I posted the runway lingerie vs catalogue lingerie pictures, VS put more runway pictures online than what they originally had, including almost exact pictures of Flavia and Anais's outfits.

On the left are the runway pictures I posted of the matching outfits. On the right are pictures that VS put online a day or two later.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

source on left pictures - Flavia's runway, wireimage.com; Anais's outfit - getty via nothingless
    source on right pictures - victoriassecret.com

They also put other matching runway pictures online like Lindsay's superhero outfit and Alessandra's Spanish outfit. Now either I'm psychic (hardly or I'd be a multimillionaire) or I did some of their work for them.

Also back in March when someone (on Twitter like that's the most accurate source in the world) claimed no one went to Lily's Toronto launch, people in one of the VS threads believed it 1000% percent because they didn't like Lily and wanted to believe the worst. VS posted pictures online of some of her line-up a few days later. I think that was deliberate on VS's part because they hadn't been posting crowd pictures before, and the VS picture pretty much shut down that argument.

Someone visiting might take a couple of things into consideration, but remember that a world exists outside of the TFS. For every complainer about something, there's probably multiple others who like it. It's also important to realize that there are some people in here that will never be happy. They will find something to complain about regardless. The show hasn't even aired and people are complaining or declaring it a fail. Would you take someone who clearly isn't even giving it a chance seriously?

#674 tlg00, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by moderator nbradshaw: Nov 25, 2011
  15. agee

agee Active Member

You cannot appeal to everyone at the individual level, but you can segment your market to appeal to different demographic groups whether that is based on ethnicity, look, region, age or lifestyle. As someone stated VS is a mass-market company and their goal is to sell to as many customers as possible, and part of that is having representatives who are relatable to their desired market segments. Re the statement "if VS Angels are great..." there are quite a few factors that go into what constitutes a "great" Angel including awareness and relatable-ness by the market. And speaking specifically about Chanel Iman, 95 % of the people on tFS can hate her living guts but she is one of the best known and most popular models with the under-twenty five crowd in the US, and note that I stated the "under-twenty five crowd" and not the " under-twenty five black crowd."

By the way I think that if VS is going to have 10-12 Angels then they should actually strive to have two or three models of color (Asian, Latino, Black, mixed race). I don't think, nor have I ever thought, that they should start randomly giving out Angel contracts to a model simply because she fits a certain demographic, but if models of color are not being sent VS' way by the agencies, then VS should absolutely get on the phone and make a request that more diverse models be sent to their castings, this is not something that they should be passive about. And if there were a Russian equivalent of VS and they had ten or so Angels who were all fair-haired and fair-skinned Muscovites, I would assert the same thing about their Angels being more representative of the Russian population.

16. tlg00

tlg00 New Member

That's so true about Chanel being known even if people choose not to acknowledge it. If 2011 follows the 2010 path, then Chanel will be trending the night of the show on Twitter. She was the only angel who managed to trend last year.

17. Sam12

Sam12 New Member

I don't think there are too many alternatives for VS when it comes to great black angel material, so they kind of just have to go with the one who is semi famous. They are always trying to get the next Tyra. They tried it with Selita and failed, gave Emanuela a chance, Oluchi was thrown into the mix at one point, but it lead to nowhere. I feel like Chanel is a filler, until they find the next girl. Jasmine is just starting out. If Lais can improve her english then maybe she has some potential, but at this point only Joan is there that has that needed presence, but she has just begun with them. I always wondered as to why they never tried Jourdan or Chrishell??

#677 Sam12, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by moderator larryjr49: Nov 25, 2011
  18. agee

agee Active Member

Chrishell and Jourdan have both worked for VS so they have been "tried," as has Arlenis who IMO is, of the ones who has done significant work for VS, the one I see as having Angel potential. Has VS produced a great Angel for VS, regardless of race, since Adriana and Ale were made Angels? IMO other than Candice they have not. I am not prepared to state that none of the Angels who were anointed in the past couple of years may not come into her own a few years into their Angeldom like Alessandra did, but right now IMO they don't have anyone on their roster who is "great angel material" other than Adriana, Alessandra and Candice.

#678 agee, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by moderator wendla: Nov 25, 2011
  19. KKfan

KKfan New Member

There is no one who is great Angel material other than Adriana, Alessandra and Candice, i think the only other person who could make it big is Erin, i love the girl but i dont actually know why...

Lily is THE BEST in print but not on the runway, i WISH they would bring Izabel (she will always remain an angel in my heart) and KK back to Angeldom they were the real 'bitches' and they own a runway when they step on it...

I dont understand why Jourdan hasnt walked in the show yet, imo she definately has angel potential, a lot more than Erin, Lily, Lindsay and Chanel...

20. Lovemusic22

Lovemusic22 New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.