Vogue Czechoslovakia September 2018 : Karolina Kurkova by Branislav Simoncik

Royal-Galliano

völlig losgelöst
Reaction score
4CDD02C5-53CE-4F1D-9C06-C1729EE98951.jpeg
Source: FB (Josef Bouska)

They’re channeling the look of Olga Havlova, the first first lady of post-Communist Czechoslovakia and the letters on her back are actually one of her husband’s experimental poems from his dissident’s years.

Last edited:
So this is it? It's a bit underwhelming.

I’m very underwhelmed, I originally thought this was a supplement cover before reading the description/explanation! When using a model like KK surely you’d use more than just her back?

The worst part is that Olga Havlová was in no way a fashionista, she had no interest in fashion or luxury.

Honestly, I find the cover disrespectful to her legacy.

Since it is Vogue Czechoslovakia, I belive they went for an icon from the times they were a unique country. Olga Havlova was the last first lady of Czechoslovak Republic before the dissolution of the Czech and Slovak Federative Republic in 1992.

You guys were going to hate it regardless of what it looked like. This entire thread is absurd.

But it's trite, so....
And anyway, if it happened to be a great cover, many would've praised it. It's when you factor in that this is their first edition, what they hope readers will buy into. I'm all for setting a tone, but what is this even?

You guys were going to hate it regardless of what it looked like. This entire thread is absurd.

That’s not the case at all! I think most of us expected a little bit more than Karolina Kurkova’s back! It looks like a supplement cover from Vogue Ukraine or some other art style magazine! It has no individual identity!

It's not horrible, expected a stronger debut cover, possibly in person it looks better.

I found the idea of the cover fascinating but one must be intrigued by the image first before reading the detailed explanation as to why a cover came to fruition. After all, a magazine cover needs to be able to show an image first and foremost, not a subtext.

You know what, let me make this clear. I am one with magazines whenever they want to emulate the former glory of Vogue Italia. The unconventional cover shots? If propeurly executed, I’d take it.

But what I cannot accept is for these magazines to use that route as license for laziness. That is beyond reprehensible. This is to no exception.

You are introducing the “CS” fashion to the world. And this is what you’ll give? It looks like a backstage shot where Karolina was midway changing. Tragic.

And no, weren’t gonna bash it to begin with. First issues are always highly-anticipated as it always gives people a look of what to expect. People are almost always fair when it comes to inaugural issues. So please don’t discredit comments.

Okay... I mean whatever... it’s not even a nice shot...

It just feels that smaller editions are trying to resurrect Vogue Italia that no longer exists... Ukraine is doing great job most of the time (although the recent stuff and especially that the Queen EII Lara one are quite bad)... Why do we even need Vogue Czech Republic? I am not being snobby and I am all for great new talent but none of the new editions seem to be doing enough to justify their existence in the climate when the bigger editions are struggling with a lack of vision and “pedestrianism of Vogue”...

Not everybody can be Man Ray. This is pretentious, boring and just plain ugly

It's Branislav, he makes a career out of being "inspired" by other photographers, specially Meisel.

As I expected, this is Vogue Portugal's new twin sister. You cannot distinguish the two. That's what you get when you share most of the creative team. Condé Nast lost all control over the Vogue name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"