Vogue Italia December 2017 : The Celebration Issue by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by gunsnroses, Dec 4, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

M&M are so lost, it's not even funny anymore.

2. thatsfierce

thatsfierce Active Member

M&M editorial is terrible, from most part of the casting to everything. Joan looks terrible in that afwul wig, and they're all trying SO hard, I hated it.
    Loved the Zee Nunes editorial, btw.

3. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

Ashley's ed reminds me of Shana Zadrikc by Meisel

4. liv4beauty

liv4beauty Member

Yes! I totally see Shana.

Ashley’s editorial is my favorite.

5. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

Seems rather typical M&M to me, reminds of the edit they did not too long ago for W. And I'm just now noticing the picture of Bella's hair in Aube face, why did they prove that?

#85 TheoG, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited by moderator Ms.Padalecki_91: Dec 6, 2017
  6. artemovartem

artemovartem Active Member

7. KissMiss

KissMiss Active Member

I mean the line-up for the main editorial is quite tired now... except one or two models...

8. TREVOFASHIONISTO

TREVOFASHIONISTO Active Member

the main editorial is so fun! like a night in Paris

9. twilightsafari

twilightsafari New Member

Love this! so decadent. M+M get a lot of undeserved hate here, this is energetic, fun and well executed. So what, they've done similar before, most photographers and artists spend their careers reinterpreting the same or similar themes. if they do it so well, who's complaining!

10. GivenchyAddict

Agree ! i love the decadence of this shoot. not groundbreaking but fits their theme : celebration !

Plus, Ashley Graham + George Cortina = always amazing !!!

11. pollyanna90

pollyanna90 Member

I love the group cover the most. The others aren't necessary. Nevertheless It's great seeing girls from the late 2000s/early 2010s being in the spotlight. They're also the stars of the editorial, especially Jamie and Joan. They are amazing in it. Also lovely seeing Issa Lish back in VI. She's definitely underrated

#91 pollyanna90, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited by moderator greenlady: Dec 6, 2017
  12. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Don't you just get the sense with most magazines these days like...what purpose does any of this serve? What do any of these editorials say about anything? Especially collectively? Ugh.

13. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

The main ed looks like a fashion story of VP under Carine. It's amazing, but some pics are quite impressive. Mariacarla eating that red cake it's so shocking! This is the most polemic ed under the new EIC, followed by some pics of the age issue. Love you VI

14. jeremydante

jeremydante Active Member

OHMYGOD! Why weren't any of the Lily Aldridge shots made into covers? Waaaaay better than the group cover. Natalia is the obvious standout. This didn't need to be a cover series.

15. fluxxx

fluxxx Active Member

agree..she's not a great or my favorite model but she deff steals the show from the editorial. She looks stunning!

16. MON

MON Well-Known Member

This is just a rehash of everything I’ve seen from them. The problem with Vogue Italia is that I feel like they’re torn with wanting to commercialize the magazine, but at the same time wanting to keep the identity Franca’s Vogue. And there goes identity issue. It seems like the commercial thing is doing well in Italy, while they want to keep the edgy Franca VI to cater to the International market. Let’s be honest VI made a mark worldwide with their controversial and out of this world covers. Like why buy Vogue Italia when it just looks like your local Vogue.

My wish for them is to find an identity and direction. Yes, I admit that some issues look good INDIVIDUALLY. My biggest issue is that when I put them side by side, it looks so disconnected. I see gimmick more than an actual identity.

17. [Piece Of Me]

[Piece Of Me] Active Member

The cover and main editorial are trashy and campy and I am totally on board. I couldn't care less about all the critism M&M are receiving, I love their work and still think they deliver. Great to see Lea T. back in an editorial as well.

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with you more, Mon! The charm behind Franca's issues was that while each and every edition had profoundly day & night edits, there was still a coherent flow. You'd get your Patti Smith x Klein, an oversaturated Hiett edit, a bit of Aldrige's living dolls rounded out by the highlight - Meisel. There was a flow. As you correctly point out here, Farneti's disconnect is evident. He wants to appease the masses with fandom fodder such as M&M, Natasha, Irina, Natalia yet still pass the magazine off as a narrative-driven indie. Look at the cover edit and tell me what comes through most - the cast or the story? Now look at July, which had an equally polarising model, and see how the theme took precedence over the cast. Obviously this highlights M&M's inferiority as storytellers more than anything, but isn't it the job of an EIC to be able to spot that? He does come from GQ after all, so I suppose we should go easy on him.

19. Vitamine W

Vitamine W Active Member

Lol wut?:shock:

20. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Must admit that the solo shot of Lily Aldridge from Mert & Marcus' cover story, sitting on top of the table wearing Halpern completely does it for me too, and I'm all for Natasha Poly being involved too. :heart:

I'm also here for Ashley Graham by Nathaniel Goldberg. She looks sensational, the photos are just a breath of fresh air and the overall shoot is just utterly stunning!