Vogue Netherlands April 2019 : Imaan Hammam by Bibi Borthwick

Others are stepping it up, but Dutch Vogue will just stay with this ridiculous art direction. So the cover image isn't exactly suited for a cover (the shade, the composition, the cropping), but that wasn't enough. They had to load on that atrocious font.

None of the shots hold much promise. The third one looks terribly awkward, it should've just been Imaan, sorry. This fella of hers has no presence, she's doing all the work.

I like the cover mainly because it's Imaan, but I agree the font and size of Modern Love are awful, and her boyfriend is invisible, he's just there. I like that there seems to be very little Photoshop.

What is she really selling on that cover? Her armpit?

+ the color yellow is devouring the image. NAGL.

What exactly makes their love “modern” as the cover implies?

The actual talent that was left at V. Nl. is gone and/or fired. Prepare for even more mediocrity in the future. The EIC isn't interested in fashion, a lifestyle magazine is what she really aspires.

EDT: the guy in the pics is her boyfriend.

In a world where magazines are dying, be like Vogue Netherlands. Fearless..
HAHAHA

Armpits never really seem to work on a cover - people find reasons to feel uncomfortable about the sight of them, and the only alternative is to airbrush them into being an unnaturally flat surface, and people don't like that either.

Modern love featuring a heterosexual couple. Same Old Love you mean
So she needs to be polysexual or something to be modern?
I like the image, but the cover line really could've been smaller, for example, downsized and placed in lower left corner.

So she needs to be polysexual or something to be modern?
Mon is by no means saying Imaan needs be polysexual to be modern. It’s not even about Imaan, but it’s about the fact that Vogue chooses to label it as a modern kind of love with that cover line. You can say a lot of things about the love depicted in the editorial, but not that it’s modern. And that’s not bad at all. There’s nothing wrong with the kind of love depicted in that ed, but just don’t call it “modern” when it isn’t.

Imaan is gorgeous but the way they cropped the cover makes her armpit look HUGE.
Unremarkable editorial, the lighting is so flat. Thought for a moment it would be more dynamic in b&w and then realized the next to last picture is b&w.

Mon is by no means saying Imaan needs be polysexual to be modern. It’s not even about Imaan, but it’s about the fact that Vogue chooses to label it as a modern kind of love with that cover line. You can say a lot of things about the love depicted in the editorial, but not that it’s modern. And that’s not bad at all. There’s nothing wrong with the kind of love depicted in that ed, but just don’t call it “modern” when it isn’t.

The coverline applies to the entire issue, not just the coverstory.
There's a portfolio featuring 7 "diverse" couples. An article on the rise of divorce. etc.
And even if Imaan's cover story was the only part of the issue related to love, maybe it's possible to look past what we see (a heterosexual relationship) and think what makes it modern? Maybe they have/had to be long distance? Maybe Imaan's religion? I don't know, but the tagline doesn't shock me.

The coverline applies to the entire issue, not just the coverstory.
There's a portfolio featuring 7 "diverse" couples. An article on the rise of divorce. etc.
And even if Imaan's cover story was the only part of the issue related to love, maybe it's possible to look past what we see (a heterosexual relationship) and think what makes it modern? Maybe they have/had to be long distance? Maybe Imaan's religion? I don't know, but the tagline doesn't shock me.
I’m not shocked either, just annoyed. But now that I know more about the contents of the issue, that cover line makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification :flower:

They did her wrong with this cover, and her boyfriend adds nothing to the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikishuki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->