W Magazine November 2017 : Margot Robbie by Craig McDean

Björk x Tim Walker = Whimsy overdose!!

Björk x Tim Walker = Whimsy overdose!!

General question unrelated: how do I make special characters appear normal and not messed up like in Bjork's name?

^
She is so beyond this world that her name can’t be spelt in proper English lol.

I used to be a big Melanie Ward fan but her work has not impressed me in a long time. Maybe it's because she's a freelancer now so It's like she just styles clothes instead of constructing stories.

Agree, she is no longer cool now...that 90's cool...:doh:

She’s so one-dimensional. Is she capable of appearing in anything beyond the surreal, fairy princess alien trope????? For someone who’s supposedly so experimental with her sound— she sure is predictable with her image.

(Is Hungry for Sugarpill Matthew? The face design has his trademark smeared all over it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
She’s so one-dimensional. Is she capable of appearing in anything beyond the surreal, fairy princess alien trope????? For someone who’s supposedly so experimental with her sound— she sure is predictable with her image.

(Is Hungry for Sugarpill Matthew? The face design has his trademark smeared all over it.)

Maybe she''ll go through her "Music" phase in a couple of years, cowboy hats and all :rolleyes: If she was inconsistent with her image you would probably also criticize her for that...

Maybe she''ll go through her "Music" phase in a couple of years, cowboy hats and all :rolleyes: If she was inconsistent with her image you would probably also criticize her for that...

Yeah Bjork is not a celebrity I need a reinvention from. Why would she when she's so unique? She's not a popstar, she doesn't need a new "era" per album.

Who said anything about reinvention…? Such a tired catchphrase for the lazy.

This is a story for a fashion magazine— not promo for a new album. It’s a very short-term investment, experiment; a one-off story can easily be created and be done with. Models are given new personas, characters and stories all the time to play with moving from the surreal of Nick Knight direction to the classic and timeless mood of Peter Lindhberg.

(Why would anyone criticize a creative individual— which she supposedly is, for trying new looks and directions in high fashion? The presuppositions some conjure up to diminish and dismiss others who dare to poo poo their idols is hilariously defensive.)

Tim Walker pretty much always delivers for me. I'm just such a sucker for his vision of whimsy and fantasy. And Bjork is a flawless muse for this style. She's fabulous here - what a joyful editorial!

I adore Björk and there are a lot of shootings Tim Walker did that I love but I really don't like this one.

This is a story for a fashion magazine— not promo for a new album. It’s a very short-term investment, experiment; a one-off story can easily be created and be done with. Models are given new personas, characters and stories all the time to play with moving from the surreal of Nick Knight direction to the classic and timeless mood of Peter Lindhberg.

(Why would anyone criticize a creative individual— which she supposedly is, for trying new looks and directions in high fashion? The presuppositions some conjure up to diminish and dismiss others who dare to poo poo their idols is hilariously defensive.)

For me it read like criticism for the sake of it, since there's nothing wrong about having a consistent image and the selling point is to have her inhabit those fantasy landscapes. Not a crazy fan of her or anything just because I disagree with your criticism of her. As a matter of fact I don't even like the pictures. Your last paragraph is a perfect example of how to contradict oneself. Hilariously defensive? Presuppositions? Diminish and dismiss others?...

^^^ Not the least contradictory. I’m not bothered at the least if you roll your eyes at me, mock me, dismiss me, diminish me, pull out the “reinvention” strawman when I never even said anything remotely suggesting it LOL… Why would I criticize her had she tried a new look when that’s what I would encourage of her, as you had assumed I would? That’s why I posted it’s a presupposition on your part.

Anyway, she does possess a distinctive face. I’d just prefer to see her step out of her comfort zone and just try something different, for a high fashion editorial; maybe in Thom Browne and Chanel as a grand dame. Maybe even channeling Shirley MacLaine’s Funny Girl in 60s-inspired couture splendour. Maybe even darkly androgynous, or darkly seductive... Work with Lindbergh for something romantic and cinematic; Meisel for some flair, or even Klein or Baron for something naughty and dark, rather than Walker who will no doubt do the predictable surreal, messy dreamy theatre-kid trope cuz that’s all he knows now.

I hope that makes my point clearer rather than it being critical just for the sake of it.

Bad to the Bone
Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Melanie Ward
Make-up: Mark Carrasquillo for Nars at Streeters
Hair: Duffy at Streeters

5lxUoXBu_o.jpg

qFzfKDXc_o.jpg

hEpy2ckd_o.jpg

M2lj7Cwl_o.jpg

vs4Hy2WT_o.jpg

u0x1ZNdK_o.jpg

IzhLjP3K_o.jpg

4xRO1UFL_o.jpg

yBjeQ4Xr_o.jpg

wmagazine.com

There is a Terry Richardson editorial in this issue (damn it, W! Don't use him!) It looks so much like Mert and Marcus's nightlife/club scene ed for W that was not too long ago... Also a feature on Riccardo Tisci and Nike

^^^ Not the least contradictory. I’m not bothered at the least if you roll your eyes at me, mock me, dismiss me, diminish me, pull out the “reinvention” strawman when I never even said anything remotely suggesting it LOL… Why would I criticize her had she tried a new look when that’s what I would encourage of her, as you had assumed I would? That’s why I posted it’s a presupposition on your part.

Anyway, she does possess a distinctive face. I’d just prefer to see her step out of her comfort zone and just try something different, for a high fashion editorial; maybe in Thom Browne and Chanel as a grand dame. Maybe even channeling Shirley MacLaine’s Funny Girl in 60s-inspired couture splendour. Maybe even darkly androgynous, or darkly seductive... Work with Lindbergh for something romantic and cinematic; Meisel for some flair, or even Klein or Baron for something naughty and dark, rather than Walker who will no doubt do the predictable surreal, messy dreamy theatre-kid trope cuz that’s all he knows now.

I hope that makes my point clearer rather than it being critical just for the sake of it.

Was ready to start scratching because the mere idea of coming after Bjork makes no sense to me, BUT....you're bringing up a valid point. I think they way we see her in fashion magazines is very restricted. She's been working with different photographers (Knight, I&V, Walker etc etc), but the end result end up looking the same. Having too much agency can also be a problem.

REVEL REBELS
Photographer: Terry Richardson
Stylist: Clare Richardson
Hair: Esther Langham
Make-Up: Frank B.
Models: Cuba Tornado Scott, Lili Sumner, Casey Legler, Grace Elizabeth, Grace Hartzel, Hiandra Martinez, Veronika Vilim, Achok Majak, Kiki Willems, Dylan Christensen & Frank Nadolny

W Magazine Digital Edition

My apology, guys, somehow I overlooked this one which goes between the 2nd and the 3rd image in the editorial:

W Magazine Digital Edition

Oh for God's sake, W. Terry?! I done with this hypocrisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->