W Volume #1 2018 by Juergen Teller

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Jan 4, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. MON

MON Well-Known Member

My goodness, Edward Enninful allowed UK VOGUE to reprint a cover?? Is this the first reprint in how many years?

The fact that Edward allowed a prestigious publication to be a part of this reprint madness is disgusting. Sorry, but that’s a shame. He runs a magazine that is part of the “Top 4”. Of all Vogue editions, the top 4 enjoys more autonomy. The other editions can be ordered to do this, but UK Vogue? Never thought I’d see the day. This is worse than Alexa Chung’s last cover.

Anna, Emmanuelle would never allow their magazines to have the same covers as international editions on the same month.

This is the reason why W is dead. Its just a magazine that is out of touch.

And what for is “Love Wins”? What does it have to do with the photos? Does it suppose to make them “WOKE”?

#21 MON, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 4, 2018
  2. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Active Member

3. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Active Member

4. kokobombon

kokobombon Active Member

Teller should never ever shot covers...
    and this is the issue with which they´re launching the Volumes series?! artsy fartsy...

5. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Active Member

God! I can't roll my eyes enough. It's an okay edit but those covers shot. :(

6. versustito

versustito Active Member

Daniela look AMAZING !!

7. Pricciao

Pricciao Active Member

#27 Pricciao, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited by moderator joepkje: Jan 4, 2018
  8. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

These shots look like theatre kidz at their high school dance and/or 1st-year art school kidz posing next to their “art”…. Is that the brand of reductive aesthetic they’re going for?

I guess the “a new creative direction for every Sept and March issue” gimmick didn’t work out so well… So another attempt at rebranding that looks exactly like any other trendy-of-the-moment look that’s already copped by a million other indie mag/Tumblr/Insta crowd... Yes, Stefano— another attempt at desperately-seeking-to-be-down-with-the-kidz is really going to stand out LOOL

Thanks serendipity

9. anlabe32

anlabe32 Active Member

Why Teller is still getting jobs is beyond me. My god, i've never seen such awful pictures in such a big magazine.

10. dfl-001

dfl-001 Active Member

I'm astounded at how bad this is
    It's a s**t circus

11. mepps

mepps Active Member

Best comment ever! You win.:lol:
    And yes, he is the worst.

12. 333101

333101 Member

I'm actually embarrassed for everyone involved looking at this. How can they think this is passable? It doesn't even reach mediocrity, I would actually be ashamed to say I had worked on this. Juergen Teller should have stayed in the 90s when at least his work can be reflected on as 'of the times'..in the present day it just looks lazy and unappealing

13. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ I wouldn’t place much of the blame on Juergen.

He was always one of very limited range.His aesthetic outside of the backstage stripped and raw concept was always going to be stretching his very limited repository of creative concepts. Since he’s a top brand now, his laziness in making any creative effort won’t bother many people: He's Juergen Teller. that's all that matters to many editors.

The blame should be aimed at close range towards Stefano. He’s always been meek, lacking direction and totally useless. Why he’s continued to secure a place in such a high-profile role is beyond me. This person has never possessed the slightest hint of vision. This “Volume” concept is already DOA. Why would anyone be convinced to pay for it when it looks so generically bland, and we’ve all seen the done before— by everyone.

Editors and creative directors need to know how to cast photographers according to their( oftentimes extremely limited) range, otherwise it’s a guarantee this type of weak imagery will pollute fashion publications time and time again.

14. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Active Member

Just read this article about the whole Volume gimmick, and to me it sounds like "'too little, too late". This magazine is no longer covetable and the fact that the first issue of this new era is an awful reprint is the last nail on W's coffin.

Now, god knows it would have been amazing to have better paper quality five or six years ago when this magazine was actually worthwhile alas Walker's best work had to printed on awfully thin paper. Now they're just wasting good stock printing this mess of an edit.

When he used to shoot things for Patrick's W they were actually quite nice, that was like 10 years ago though. It doesn't help that he started shooting on digital, it makes his work look even more generic.

Quinceañeras wish their dresses were as sobber as the one on Saoirse, still it looks like a mess.

15. [Piece Of Me]

[Piece Of Me] Active Member

This all looks so cringe and pretentious. Atleast Jake looks cute though.

16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

McCarthy must be cackling wherever he is, and I'm sure Fairchild is turning in his grave to see what has become of his beloved W. He wasn't behind the idea of selling to CN and wasn't a big fan of Tonchi either. At least with McCarthy's W it was high fashion, society and later on celebrity. Nowadays it's none of the three because Tonchi doesn't have a handle on fashion, celebrity, nor society. He's just so out of touch. How is this 'best permgormances' idea innovative in any way when it's done better year in and out by Vanity Fair. At least with Elle it makes sense because they're a women's magazine with a feminist undertone. What does W really bring to the table?

#36 Benn98, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: Jan 6, 2018
  17. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Active Member

It's bizarre a cover of UK Vogue is a reprint. Although seen as how it came out first, I suppose technically W is the reprint? It's odd either way. And that shoot is an absolute eyesore. It was bad enough seeing that weird image of Nicole and Margot on one cover, let alone two.

18. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

I love the idea but the pictures are not very good. I can't believe you have in the same cover Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence and that looks so boring!

19. caioherrero

caioherrero Member

20. matheus_s

matheus_s Active Member

The layout change? The format? More articles and less pics?