What to Wear to a Wedding (Your Own & As a Guest)

you might check out Alber Elbaz's work for Lanvin (i.e., the 14 years prior to the last major collection). One-shoulder and other asymmetrical treatments are his thing ...

Thank you, yes, as soon as she said one-shoulder/sleeved I thought of all the dresses from SS08 and SS10, but then she said no ruffles and I kind of scratched them off the list. Taking another look though there are definitely some things to work with there. It's more the combination of the top and the skirt that is bothering me.

It's early days so I'm still hoping for some lee-way. I managed to shut her down when she said the bridesmaid dresses would also be one-shouldered because they make me look like a line-backer. She wants emerald green so I'm picturing Keira Knightley in Atonement. I also have Lanvin looks on that list too, AW11 had some great looks with sleeves.

^ We wore emerald raw silk for my sister's wedding ... I liked the dresses. (I should since I had a hand in picking them out!) I don't at all like the way I look in a single sleeve as my shoulders are asymmetrical. It definitely isn't for everyone!

Especially in the last few weeks ... I was a nerve wrack during the last two or three weeks and knowing how "casual" and relaxed it will be in the end, I wouldn't worry half as much. :flower:
Also another advice - avoid too much of DIY things at all costs. :P It's overrated.

How big of a wedding are you planning to have? :smile:

Thanks Jinadaze, we're definitely planning to steer clear of DIY wherever possible (specially the catering :shock:)! :lol: Happy to leave a lot of the finer details to the professionals so I have less to stress about leading up to the big day! By the way, I just had a look at your instagram and must say that your wedding photos look absolutely beautiful! What a special day, happy to hear about how relaxed you felt in the end :heart:

In terms of our wedding size, our initial guest list is looking at around 80 - 90 people but will probably vary somewhat from now until the wedding. There are some gorgeous venues around my area that offer full wedding packages for those sorts of numbers for quite reasonable prices and in lovely locations (like a quaint chapel near the lake and followed by marquee reception or venues set in the rainforest on the nearby Mountain). Definitely a lot of really scenic options to choose from!

We are looking at Spring 2017 (Sep - Nov) or Autumn 2018 (Mar - May) so still plenty of time. The temperatures where I live at that time are lovely and mild (I want to avoid getting married in the Australian Summer at all costs!). Both Spring and Autumn will be suitable for most sleeve lengths in terms of the dress style that I choose. Lately I've had my heart set on an Ivory coloured gown as I'm very fair skinned and really don't wear a lot of pure white so mightn't feel like 'myself'. We shall see though!

maybelaterblue good luck on the dress hunt for your sister! Definitely a huge responsibility that you have assumed. I can't think of anything that fits her description off the top of my head, but if I see any labels that might have a suitable style during my own dress shopping I will let you know.

I absolutely love the idea of emerald green bridesmaid dresses... I was thinking of navy or grey dresses, but I might need to keep an eye out for emerald green ones now :flower:

My sister recently got engaged and has tasked me with scoping out the dress (she just bought a house, changed jobs, is kinda busy and I offered) to see what's on the market and how custom she will have to go. She's got some very specific requirements about the full skirt, beading (minimal, preferably none), and veil which is all fine, however she is dead set on having a one-sleeved gown.
It must be a strap, not a long sleeve or cap, must be drawn across the chest, not as though somebody just hacked off the other side, and shouldn't be like a flamenco dancer ruffle/frill. By God this is difficult, I have been trawling through every bridal/couture collection of the last 5 years on vogue.com with no luck.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this dress, where the lace top is cut away so that it leaves only a small strap on the model's right (our left), with the dress in total ivory (she's a redhead)

source: Elie Saab HC SS12 vogue.com

(I can't think about how it goes across the back to be joined to the dress, not yet)

Does anyone have any recommendations, or ideas from other collections to look at? I have an archive of fashion magazines and scrapbooks a plenty, but since the one-sleeve look is something I detest, it doesn't feature on my radar.
Hey !

First of all you could pick any ballgown and have a sleeve added. No problem at all, especially if you go for the high end bridal boutique/designers like Monique Lhuillier, Oscar de la Renta etc.. Just pick a strapeless ballgown and enquire about modifications :smile: However, if she wants something already done then as soon as I saw your message I thought about a Romona Keveza design.
See some options below
hdmhdga.jpg

Probably can ask for the skirt to be longer
WSS8TKz.jpg

i7eIHqj.jpg

The belt is optional
JzC41DC.jpg

cnJ5CkI.jpg

Credit: Romona Keveza

Monique Lhuillier - will definitely be able to add a strap
D1ejnjI.jpg

toyrQJ9.jpg

Credit: Monique Lhuillier

EDIT: there are also a bunch of Pronovias. Just google "one sleeve ballgown pronovias". They are from older collections it seem (2013 upwards) but I am sure you can find some around! I also found a bunch of "one shoulder wedding gown" with brands like Anna Campbell :smile:

And a bridal party in emerald green - gorgeous
Those are from Dessy in "hunter green" by the way
K9UsIfd.jpg

Credit: Woodnote Photography via Style me pretty

Last edited by a moderator:
I found those ones also
EDGARDO BONILLA - FALL 2015
slfz6Id.jpg

MONIQUE LHUILLIER - SPRING 2015
xP8VZoa.jpg

Alvina Valenta Spring 2012
kejQmI2.jpg

Pronovias old collections
2ZXVKmD.jpg

G79SD4q.jpg

mR3Bpei.jpg

Romona Keveza Spring 2017
l7q1NLr.jpg

Credit: brides.com

Thanks Jinadaze, we're definitely planning to steer clear of DIY wherever possible (specially the catering :shock:)! :lol: Happy to leave a lot of the finer details to the professionals so I have less to stress about leading up to the big day! By the way, I just had a look at your instagram and must say that your wedding photos look absolutely beautiful! What a special day, happy to hear about how relaxed you felt in the end :heart:

:wink: And thank you so much! ^_^

EvaH, you are like an encyclopedia of wedding dresses. :lol: :flower:

Oh Gosh you guys are amazing, thank you so much! I think I had a mental block because it's a style I'm really not fond of, and who really wants to put hours into searching for something they don't like? That last Romona Keveza with the organza(?) overlay in 145 is beautiful EvaH, thank you! I'm seeing my sister next week so I will report back.

My cousin is a seamstress (she bought a 3-sizes-too-big-Vera Wang sample for £300 and altered it into the most beautiful gown for her wedding) and my dad a garment technologist, so between us we will create something pretty bespoke, we just need to find the best base garment.

For bridesmaids, we spotted these on ASOS of all places, (and reduced!) so we got a couple already to try on everybody. I'm a 5"8 flat-as-an-ironing-board so it should be fine, but the other two are 5"3 and one is quite curvy, so we'll see what they look like.

image4xxl.jpg
image2xxl.jpg

source: asos.com

I got married this year and also had VERY specific dress requirements that almost sent me down the custom dress path. One thing to keep in mind is that not all designers will customize their dress designs. For example, I know that Romona Keveza, Monique Lhuillier, and Vera Wang will not customize any part of their designs. You can buy extra fabric and have a tailor customize the dress if you go with a designer that will not customize, however I found that to be risky and ultimately not worth it. I ended up buying an Anna Maier gown from Neiman Marcus. Although I had never heard of the brand prior to shopping for my gown, I did a bit of research and absolutely fell in love with their designs. If you have not seen their dresses I highly recommend checking them out.

I just got engaged last month, and although we haven't seriously started planning yet, I've already wasted a good few hours browsing pinterest for inspiration. :rolleyes: I am having a really hard time finding anything I could imagine wearing though. We haven't settled on a time or space for the wedding, but we know we want it to be very small and intimate (0-15 guests), with very little of the traditional wedding stuff. Most likely a civil ceremony with just the two of us (photographer as witness) and then a low key, fun dinner party setting afterwards to celebrate.

I want to wear white, just because I always feel good wearing white, but beyond that I am kind of lost as I don't want a traditional wedding dress. I am thinking maybe something tea (or knee) length, fitted at the waist and a-line skirt (not too poofy), and I would like my shoulders covered and no cleavage (not for modesty reasons, I just find it more flattering.:P).

Ideally I would stumble upon the perfect vintage dress, but I don't know if I have the patience to go that route. I'm also entertaining the idea of making the dress myself, currently looking at some Valentino dresses for inspiration...:wub:

^^ Congrats! Not sure I have any real advice on how to find what you're looking for (ebay?) but wishing you the best of luck!

Stick to your gut and don't let anyone else overly influence you! I loved the dress I ended up picking for my wedding but it was definitely NOT what I originally intended and probably not what I would pick if I had to do the day over again.

Thanks ChrissyM.:flower: I am definitely trying to keep an open mind in regards to the dress. What I am finding the most challenging at the moment is trying to think of something that will be special enough while still being super simple and not too wedding-y.

Hello everyone...I am new to this forum. I need help...lots of help. My son is getting married in September and I need a dress. I have been to a couple of weddings in my life where someone was wearing the same dress as me. It was so embarrassing. So here I am now, biggest day of my son's life and I am worried to death. THe wedding will be on a beach, so it doesn't need to be formal. But I do want it to be classy. Do I go with a print or a solid? Do I go short or long. Sleeveless or sleeves? My head is about to explode. Also I don't want to get something off a clearance rack because that is where I went wrong two times. I can see why the stars on the red carpet love their fashion. "Who are you wearing Milley? - "Macy's..."

I am a size 8, I weigh about 150 and I am 5'2. - yes I know I am trying to lose weight. I hope someone out there can help me. Thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"