What's Your Favorite Fashion Magazine & Why?

I too have a subscription to US Vogue. I also have a subsrciption to Harper's Bazaar which gives lots of good tips and is up to date. The only thing is that many of the issues are ridiculously thin. I do occasionally purchase Gap Press magazines for the RTW and the Haute Couture. They have tons of oversized pics. It's expensive, but well worth the money.

Vogue is really a collection of ramblings and gossip...it's actual expansion of your style knowledge is somewhat dubious.

*'pop'-uk- is not too bad, 'numero' and 'L'Officiel' -fr- can also be quite good at times.
*'surface' and 'nylon' can be interesting sometimes -us.
*from Vogue, best is Vogue Italia, i dont like Elle or Marie Claire.. in any edition.

American 'zines: "Nylon" sometimes has good articles and features;used to have some pretty decent stories for its teen-like format. "Anthem", is a new one I recently discovered supported by Paris mecca Surface to Air--pretty good,but pretty hit and miss. "Soma",again bit hit and miss but overall not bad content. Not sure of anymore besides Surface which seems to be the only one remotely strong that actually keeps your attention. Most,if not all,imo,are pretty bland. Makes me wish Jalouse US was still going. Seems like it was the best thing going

Euro/UK mags: "Purple" is by far my favorite. Followed by "Self Service","NºA-Z" from Antwerp. "Exit" is another I enjoy quite alot but might be too expensive for subscriptions. Another,Sleazenation,i-D,Dazed,L'Officel,Citizen K aren't bad either.

Some of my recent finds I adore is: "Crash" from Paris and "Style & The Family Tunes" from Berlin.

And a couple Japanese mags that might interest ones is "Composite" and "Hi-Fashion"

I don't really like American Vogue or Elle unless they have an article I like in which case,I rip it out and toss into the garbage bin :blush:

My opinions on magazines has changed quite a bit lately as some of my favorites (V, Harper's Bazaar, Vogue Paris, American Vogue) have taken a turn for the worse. It's really quite a crisis in magazines these days and readers that aren't interested in miles of column inches on celebrity nonsense are losing out. I think it's just an overall dumbing-down trend in fashion and culture. And I fear that the worst is yet to come. So many magazines these days want to sum up a season in "100 Great Looks for You!" and they aren't interested in analyzing fashion or redefining it or even doing something remotely interesting with it.

These days, I really enjoy self-service, westeast (a great new fashion mag out of China), i-D, Dazed & Confused, and occasionally Nylon. British Vogue, surface, Numero and Vogue Italia are also ok at times though the pretension factor in the last two can be staggering at times.

I buy magazines sometimes when I have time to kill (mostly travelling) but I always feel like I am being bombarded with advertisements when I'm reading them. I already PAID for the magazine, I don't need to see a Gucci ad on every other page. :rolleyes:

Stuck on a desert island I'd choose Women's Wear Daily. Yes, I'm cheating because it's not a magazine. But when it comes to feeding me with info about fashion, nothing comes close.

Truth is that in the course of a month I'm likely to read/look through all of major and not so major magazines from around the globe.

I used to love Wallpaper and Spruce back when Tyler Brule was in charge.

On the other hand if you want something practical, Lucky is great.

So true chicks*. I can't even get through one without being turned-off and bored stiff. I wish Bazaar was as interesting as it was when Liz Tilberis was alive and editing. And Vogue has had nothing but celebs on their covers for the last.....geez,I can't even remember when they had a model on the cover! The fashion articles have been lacking as well in recent issues. Even,like you say, the proclaimed bible of urbanites and creatives,that is "V" has been a blurry bore of nothing.

In Style UK - fashion priority
B - Pure for fashion
Cosmopolitan - occasionally

B)

Originally posted by fashionrage@Dec 21st, 2003 - 6:29 pm
Trace is my personal favorite.
Trace is very nice especially for diversity but I dont see it as an overall fashion mag but i love that they give special love to my country haha BRASILLLL! :woot:

Really quick which issue is this foto from? I love it! I see already 2 Brasilians models that I have been trying to follow one is Ana and the other I can not think of her name!

Originally posted by Atelier@Dec 21st, 2003 - 4:54 pm
Stuck on a desert island I'd choose Women's Wear Daily. Yes, I'm cheating because it's not a magazine. But when it comes to feeding me with info about fashion, nothing comes close.

Truth is that in the course of a month I'm likely to read/look through all of major and not so major magazines from around the globe.

I used to love Wallpaper and Spruce back when Tyler Brule was in charge.

On the other hand if you want something practical, Lucky is great.
yes wwd is nice I read it daily in the office and its very informative. its pricey but it comes to the office for each person so i never paid for it. i have read some things that they came late on but overall very fashion and retail oriented.

i read footwear news daily because i have to haha :P

i read the italian vogue and french magazines and brasil vogue a lot now more than ever.

lucky is cool for the shopper in me.

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Dec 21st, 2003 - 2:38 pm
My opinions on magazines has changed quite a bit lately as some of my favorites (V, Harper's Bazaar, Vogue Paris, American Vogue) have taken a turn for the worse. It's really quite a crisis in magazines these days and readers that aren't interested in miles of column inches on celebrity nonsense are losing out. I think it's just an overall dumbing-down trend in fashion and culture. And I fear that the worst is yet to come. So many magazines these days want to sum up a season in "100 Great Looks for You!" and they aren't interested in analyzing fashion or redefining it or even doing something remotely interesting with it.

These days, I really enjoy self-service, westeast (a great new fashion mag out of China), i-D, Dazed & Confused, and occasionally Nylon. British Vogue, surface, Numero and Vogue Italia are also ok at times though the pretension factor in the last two can be staggering at times.
so true, makes me sad :cry: :rolleyes:

do you knwo hwo much a subcribtion to self service is? :blush:

My favourite fashion magazine here in Sweden is Swedish Elle, on second place Swedish Cosmopolitan. :flower:

THE FACE (might b workin with them soon :woot: )
Sleazenation
Arena Homme Plus
Vogue Hommes International
BUTT

still miss Dutch

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Dec 23rd, 2003 - 9:35 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Dec 23rd, 2003 - 9:35 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spacemiu@Dec 23rd, 2003 - 12:22 am
do you knwo hwo much a subcribtion to self service is? :blush:
I always pick it up on the newsstands but they have this subscription information on the inside:

www.selfservicemagazine.com
OFR System 30, rue Beaurepaire 75010 Paris France Phone: 33 1 42 45 72 88
www.ofrpublications.com [/b][/quote]
thx

Vogue Paris
L'Uomo Vogue
Vogue Hommes Int'l
Another Magazine For Men & Women
i-D
Surface

Italian and American Vogue
W