WSJ Magazine September 2018 : The Power of 10 by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Anna Ewers recently learned that technology is not always a friend. “My dad found The Fashion Spot, and he checks it every day,” the quiet 25-year-old German says of the website that features fashion news and hosts forums. Ewers, who in heavy eye makeup bears an uncanny resemblance to a young Brigitte Bardot, laments that from frequenting the site, her father learned of the smoking habit she’d kept secret from her family.

Haha oh no!

The shots are all great. I actually can't fault any of the girls. Carolyn Murphy gets better with age.

There's not much going on in terms of graphic design, photo quality or fashion concept on these covers. BIG hair. OK.

Has IV always favored such blown out, harsh lighting techniques esp in their BW shots? I've noticed this most recently on Turly's VP cover this month.

Oddly its the color photos here that look very one dimensional. I don't recall their early/mid 2000s for W work looking this flat.

The main editorial gets a 'Perfect 0' for IV's laziness in simply recycling their own over-used editorial concept. Sure WSJ are looking back on their supposedly 10 glorious years but how are these images specific to WSJ, their brand and message?

Looking back at one's history and place in the industry can be revelatory but also give us fresh, exciting, new ideas NOW and to Look Forward in the pages of WSJ.

The cover with Rianne in b&w, gorgeous.
There are so many which makes it generic.

Only the 1st one is necessary. But these days it’s all about commerce and not creative statement.

Adwoa looks horrendous here. The styling with the hood pulled so far back makes it look like it's her hair and she’s suffering from extensive male-pattern baldness-- along with the bonus of some alarming eye infection.

Must be her detractors who styled and made her up LOL

This is giving me everything I needed for September. WSJ is not a magazine I've ever taken much notice of before, but they've been producing some stunning work that has really been catching my eye. I love this but the recent Jessica Chastain, Reese Witherspoon and Sophia Coppola covers were all gorgeous as well.

Inez and Vinoodh take the most stunning portraits, I'm one of those who think they can do no wrong. They just always manage to capture things so beautifully and this is no exception; the inside shots are particularly beautiful.

Does anyone know if you can buy the magazine in the UK or even subscribe?

This isn't the best Rianne has delivered but still... you just don't put her beside Adwoah. Not good for the latter.

They all look like corpse brides.
The only one bringing any life and beauty is Imaan.

First cover is amazing. The rest don't quite work for me. Bit of a hit and miss editorial as well. Some great shots and then...some of the biggest and best models in the world and of the last decade + not looking that great? Somewhat disappointing.

Yaasss to the first cover! G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S! I mean I'm not really sure at first why they went with Andreea (who really cares for her these days?), but she and Iman look stunning here! There's just enough element of fashion there with the plush fur coats, the art direction is austere without giving off a cold, clinical vibe, and I also love the richly sleek hair/make-up. Overall, it's without a doubt, the best September cover of the year. I don't really care for the rest, though. It's the first time I'm not really feeling a Rianne image.

Horrible covers, poor quality. A lot of bad photoshop and unnecessary harsh light and shadows. This hurts my eyes. All the models look unattractive when actually they are the most beautiful women in the world, their eyes look so weird, they put cheap filters. This may have been acceptable in 2005 but not in these days and age. The editorial is better but nothing special.

Last edited:
^Ditto Rianne looks so haggard on her cover, her cheekbones seem too sharp somehow and her eyes are tired-looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->