(1912)-Paris, France
Emile Hermes daughters

o8i9op.jpg

hermes.com |

Princess Caroline -Monaco
(circa 1962)

attachment.php

empire-waist dress of organdy, with embroidered or printed lemon motifs
& thick bow at the front. white mary-janes and calf-length socks.
by Hubert de Givenchy

my photo from Givenchy Style by Francoise Mohrt

Breeching

from wikipedia

Breeching was the occasion when a small boy was first dressed in breeches or trousers. From the mid-16th century until the late 19th or early 20th century, young boys in the Western world were unbreeched and wore gowns or dresses until an age that varied between two or three and seven or eight. It was an important rite of passage in the life of a boy, looked forward to with much excitement. It often marked the point at which the father became more involved with the raising of a boy.

Mabel Hubbard Gardiner Bell (date unknown)
Gardiner-Hubbard-Bell.jpg

unidentified-full-length-001.jpg

T.C.P Bradhurst 1850
Bradhurst-TCP.jpg

Boys.jpg

McAllister-Elisa.jpg

Gertrude Mercer Hubbard Grossman, Roberta Wolcott Hubbard Bell, and Mabel Hubbard Bell 1860
Gertrude-Grossman.jpg

George Leverett Stowell
Leverett-Stowell-George.jpg

old-picture

are those real? ^ :o
something about them seems Photoshopped..

i thought i would add these since they do research prior to filming
for historically accurate costumes ^^

Secret Garden
story was written 1910

20rkz02.jpg

n3vkar.jpg

11w5yjs.jpg

facebook

(1961 +)
Ideas in children's clothes

Like all well-designed garments, children's clothing should be attractive and planned with the needs and activities of children in mind.

Children's clothing should be easy to put on and take off, so the child is encouraged to dress without help.

Elasticized pull-on pants and skirts can be managed easily by young children.

Large buttons and zippers with pull tabs require less manual dexterity than small buttons and zippers without pull tabs.

Velcro and gripper snaps can be handled successfully by most children.

Pattern making by the flat pattern method
by Norma R Hollen & Carolyn J Kundel

functional details

same source
Smocking, lace, braid, ruffles, tucks used as decorative trim

2d7wikx.jpg

Growth Features

Growth features can be added to children's clothing to extend the length of time the garment can be worn. Decorative tucks near the hemline can be let out as the child gets taller. Tucks that do not show can be put on the inside of the skirt in the hem area. Hems that are 3 to 6 in. (7.6 to 15.2 cm) deep are often used, especialy in thin fabric, so the garment can be let down. Elastic in the waistband of dresses, skirts, or pants, and in the hem of sleeves, will expand with the child. Attaching two sets of buttons, grippers, or Velcro fasteners to shoulder straps or belts also allows for growth.

More Hermes daughters (circa 1912)
ml5ri8.jpg

hermes.com

boy's linen skirt suit, 1870s
24drfp2.jpg
303bpe9.jpg

This boy's suit is fashioned from brown lightweight linen and is decorated with bands of dark olive braid trim.

35clmde.jpg

The double breasted jacket has half-moon shaped pockets and mother-of-pearl buttons.

21bo12.jpg

The pleated skirt slips over the head with no closure. The waist size can be adjusted with the ribbon tie belt. The seams of the suit are sewn by machine; everything else, including the pocket application and button holes, is sewn by hand.

2r5yy9v.jpg

This delightful boy's suit is a fascinating remnant of our cultural history. Even as late as 1870, it was considered proper for an upper middle class boy to be dressed in a skirt. But as America approached the 20th century, this was seen less and less. As a newly muscular emerging world power, the United States perhaps felt less comfortable with a feminine image for boys.
vintagetextile.com

photography by Julia Margaret Cameron (England)
(11 June 1815 – 26 January 1879)
1865-1869 Alfred-Tennyson-with-his-sons-Hallam-and-Lionel
30jtl39.jpg

1874 Charles-Norman-with-His-Daughters,-Adeline-and-Margaret
2nkugsz.jpg

1875ca Group-Portrait-(Julia-Duckworth-with-Florence,-George-and-Herbert-Fisher)
rhn0oi.jpg

juliamargaretcameron.artvibrations.com

what a cute thread, gius! :woot: :heart:

my mom with friend, photo from ca. 1970 (czechoslovakia)
3598786738_5b4a4875f7_b.jpg

Great thread, gius! I love looking childrens' styles from the past... they're a major source of inspiration for me.

Royal-Galliano
, thanks for sharing that photo. I'm compelled to make a skirt like the girl's on the right. ^_^

me too^ :wink: but not as skirt. Thanks R-G !!

Pockets 1875-1900

In the 19th century most of women's dresses in fashion had pockets sewn into the seams like how it is in present times, but young children, old and working class women still wore theirs separately. They were worn tied to the waist under the garments and accessed through slits in the petticoat or outergarment.

eqdymc.jpg

vam.ac.uk |

ETA: the nightshift is actually a doll's but thought it's fitting here :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->