032c Issue #32 Summer 2017 'US vs. THEM'

apple

Reaction score
How do you find truth in an age without facts? The answer: wake up and stick together. In this issue’s dossier “US vs. THEM,” creative director RICHARD TURLEY explores how the Global Right Wing’s blatant disregard for reality has given us all a license to become Nonsense Warriors. Turning away from “them” and towards “us,” CATHERINE OPIE, NICOLAS GHESQUIÈRE, and STEFANO PILATI take us into their inner circles of friends, while COLLIER SCHORR turns Bella Hadid into Lisa Lyon. We speak with VIRGIL ABLOH as he plots a fashion industry coup d’état and follow JASON DILL to hell and back to ****ing Awesome. We revisit the work of MICHAEL SCHMIDT, and how his community workshops turned Berlin into a cauldron of contemporary photography. JACKIE NICKERSON shows us what Robert Longo looks like with a faster Internet connection, while CARSTEN HÖLLER takes us into his kitchen to explore the post-digital nature of food. We speak with PLAYBOI CARTI, CHRIS KRAUS, AMINA BLUE, and RICARDO BOFILL. And, last but not least, we make a pilgrimage to Santo Sospir, the villa on the Riviera where JEAN COCTEAU created his greatest Gesamtkunstwerk.

Also included with the issue, our “HEAT UP HADID” transfer kit which allows you to create your own t-shirt emblazoned with this issue’s Bella Hadid cover.

Cover #1: Bella Hadid by Collier Schorr

Cover #2: Larissa Hofmann by Jackie Nickerson

Cover #3: Mica Arganaraz by Catherine Opie
032c.com

Learn more about the issue below:

Nothing makes sense. Nothing ever will again. The year 2016 marked a total rupture in the theater of politics. Even if the damaging effects of Donald Trump’s election somehow prove to be short-lived, his rise indicates a crisis wherein digital acceleration has led to political regression. In our dossier “US vs. THEM,” creative director RICHARD TURLEY creates a handbook for our new political paradigm. Its central hypothesis: Only within the chaos of this media overload will we discover what is real again.

“I am not sure if the sculptures were even subjects for her photographs …” For her first ever magazine editorial, “Heroines: Paris/Los Angeles,” artist CATHERINE OPIE teamed up with artistic director NICOLAS GHESQUIÈRE to create a study on the power of classicism and ambiguity. The exploration begins on the beige stone of the Louvre’s sculpture garden and continues to Opie’s studio in Los Angeles, documenting a sprawling circle of friends and acquaintances.

On a surrealist journey into the past, Martin Mosebach visits the summer retreat of JEAN COCTEAU. At the Villa Santo Sospir, the artist spent a decade’s worth of summers smoking opium and creating his largest total artwork.

Back with a vengeance for her third 032c cover story, COLLIER SCHORR teams up with fashion director Mel Ottenberg for “Smith & Wesson Blues,” a shoot with BELLA HADID, inspired by the body builder and Robert Mapplethorpe muse Lisa Lyon.

“Duchamp is my lawyer.” From his fortress of irony, designer VIRGIL ABLOH is set on turning fashion into the industrial arm of the art world. In conversation with 032c’s managing editor Thom Bettridge, he explains how streetwear is not just a fad, but a logic inspired by Dada and destined to dominate the digital age.

Accompanied by a re-print of MICHAEL SCHMIDT’s 2002 story for 032c, Kolja Reichert explores how the photographer’s community workshops from 1976 to 1986 create a style born out of the “Gray Island” of Berlin.

For the story “Energy Crisis,” photographer LUKAS WASSMANN and designer STEFANO PILATI shoot an editorial inside Michael Sailstorfer’s exhibition “Hitzefrei” at St. Agnes. As his first for a magazine editorial, Pilati’s styling includes garments from his own personal wardrobe.

“It’s an exhausting reality,” laughs JASON DILL. In an odyssey documented with drawings and pictures from his personal archive, the skate legend takes us to hell and back to ****ing Awesome.

In “Push Me Shove You Oh Yeah Says Who,” photographer JACKIE NICKERSON, along with fashion editor Marc Goehring and 032c apparel creative director Maria Koch, presents a yogic meditation on a white collar dystopia.

“I’m very bad at killing, in general.” As an antidote to postmodern culinary mediocrity, artist CARSTEN HÖLLER takes us to his concrete perch on the seaside of Ghana and guides us through the 11 points of his “Brutalist Kitchen Manifesto.”

In the “SSENSE Files,” we bring you scenes of cross-platform madness, including interviews with RICARDO BOFILL, PLAYBOI CARTI, CHITOSE ABE, CHRIS KRAUS, HENRY STAMBLER, AMINA BLUE, and 69.

In our second-ever “BERLIN REVIEW” section, we speak with JEFF KOONS about Plato, retrace MARTIN MARGIELA’s reign at Hermès, dive to the underwater tombs of PHARAOHS, and explore our favorite books of the season.

All this and more on 296 pages!
store.032c.com

I love Bella's cover. It has this "this is my body" feel to it. Fitting for the theme. And speaking of the issue's theme, wow they went all out!

The other two covers, unnecessary. The Heroines cover is pushing it. It's an unnecessary cover.

^ Really? That was the only line that induced an eye roll? :lol:

My favorites were "Spent a decades worth of summers smoking opium" / "Duchamp is my Lawyer" / "a logic inspired by Dada" :lol::lol:

Anyways my favorite cover is definitely Bella's. Even though I'm not her biggest fan at least it's an interesting image to look at.

I don't want to see anymore photos of Mica staring blankly at the camera.

Bella and Collier's cover for the win. Shades of 70s political Jane Fonda x 80s post-punk NYC CBGBs.

^ Really? That was the only line that induced an eye roll? :lol:

My favorites were "Spent a decades worth of summers smoking opium" / "Duchamp is my Lawyer" / "a logic inspired by Dada" :lol::lol:

I think that's pretty spot on, since his design process most likely involves printing a bunch of vintage Margiela/Raf Simons/Helmut Lang runway images and collaging them together, exquisite corpse style. :rolleyes:

Love how Bella makes Mica look downright pedestrian, her shot is the best. But Larissa Hofmann and her Berlin cult following will be more of a hit, I'm sure.

"Only within the chaos of this media overload will we discover what is real again."

Yep ANOTHER Bella Hadid cover (file next to Porter). More Collier Schorr copycat image making.....

I don't know where best to find reality, but it's certainly not within the pages of a fashion magazine.

Actually really impressed by Bella's cover seeing as I'm not a Collier Schorr fan at all, great concept. The other two aren't even worth mentioning

Great concept? Redoing Warhol's Elvis?

That's sub high school standard..... And the press release here isn't any better.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->