1914-1982 Pierre Balmain

1960s - sadly no descriptions are available from the source.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1966 This long evening dress with a white top and a grey and white striped skirt was a feature at couturier Pierre Balmain's spring and summer show held in Paris recently. It is called "Gavotte" and is worn with a large striped belt and white leather shoes.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1965 A classic tailored suit in black, white wool worsted by Prudhomme. The sleeves are cuffed with "piecrust" white pique, to match the blouse, A very narrow bias band edges the jacket and skirt.

1968 A dress and jacket ensemble in navy blue pure wool crepe from Lesur. The short edge to edge jacket is bordered in bright red around the collar and hem. the sleeveless V-neck dress (its top in red) has a box pleated skirt. Important: the skirt length and the waist fitted with a navy blue belt.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
:P I've tapped into a huge visual arts database, DosViolines. It's amazing - and I haven't slept all night!!! :lol:

1971 Balmain carries the refinement of the double-breasted tube coat to its extreme, cutting it here in a sand, black and brown striped velour broadcloth (from Leonard). Note the wide collar, and the martingale in the back.

1964 A suite by Balmain in basket weave pure wool tweed in tones of beige and grey by Carlotto. The blousing jacket has a single button at the waistline and is worn with a softly gathered blouse and matching hat cut in a grey wool jersey by Veron.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

Favorite so far. Shucks - it's the gangster in me! B) I just love the hat!

1978 An ample coat with shoulder interest: padding and pleats worn over slim trouser suit. Jacket has velvet collar and a double row of buttons. Ensemble from the Pierre Balmain ready-to-wear collection for Winter 1978/79 is in pure wool grey flannel.

1963 Fur-lined coat from Balmain in a pure wool black and white tweed from Hallenstein worn over a contrasting black and white jersey dress in pure combed wool from Racine.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1961 Hazelnut woollen from Chatillon Mouly Roussel for that straight and comfortable coat, seams from waistline to hem, huge scarf collar like a ring.

1963 High waisted tunic from Balmain in beige, grey and black pure wool knit-like tweed from Veron.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1968 Long sheath evening dress. The bright red top is in pure worsted wool Woolmark jersey by Veron. The skirt in black wool crepe by Staron. The high waist, round neck and sleeves are emphasised with heavy beading in gold, black and red interspersed with wool embroidery. Front slit to knee.

1971 Navy, pink, green and blue coat in worsted wool tweed from Bucol. Cut on straight and simple lines, the coat features four patch pockets, a small collar, and a half-belt at the back.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1961 Pale blue and white houndstooth wool from Ducharne for that collarless, straight, buttoned in front suit. Slim skirt.

1979 Two-piece dress in anthracite grey pure wool flannel from Simonnot-Godard. Jacket is draped and tied with a black leather belt. Toque in the same fabric.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1969 Pierre Balmain created this dramatic evening gown, with its sweep of white gabardine in "Quiana" nylon, and its halter neckline a-sparkle with turquoise and gold crystal beads set amid mother of pearl paillettes. Its name, "Isphahan" conjures up a romantic vision of the East.

1974 "Jean.Jean". Navy and white suit, tennis stripes, pleated skirt. White straw hat, white blouse, Small bunch of Lilly of the Valley at the shoulder. Phebus". Whate shantung dress worn under bright yellow wollen straight coat. Pockets hidden in the lateral "decoupes". White hat.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1974 "Phebus". Whate shantung dress worn under bright yellow wollen straight coat. Pockets hidden in the lateral "decoupes". White hat.

1974 (no description).

vads.ahds.ac.uk

:P I've tapped into a huge visual arts database, DosViolines. It's amazing - and I haven't slept all night!!! :lol:

I know exactly what you mean!
Whenever I stumble on some fantastic website I get all "Can't. Talk. Now. Must. Look. At. Pretty. Pictures." :blush:

Keep 'em coming!

:lol: Phew. Thank heaven I am not alone! :flower:

1972 "Pimbeche". Dress with a pleated skirt, green, blue and white stripes worn with a beret in the same material.

1972 Dublin. Long evening dress in organdie printed with blue and white.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1966 The Balmain precision of cut seen here in two coats of sharp green gabardine. Left: intricate x seam-work conceals a pocket at hip level. Small parcel beret. Right: this coat follows the same style with a stand-up top-stitched collar and flap pockets at the hips. Large Breton worn back.

1970 The magnificent cinnamon and white pure worsted wool tweed for this coat-dress ensemble is by Garigue. Double-breasted, the coat is trimmed with llama on its immense collar and cuffs.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1969 Trench-style coat in beige and grege pure carded wool tweed from Scotlaine. Double-breasted, patent belted waist, flaps at yoke both front and back, and triangular flaps in cuffs. Beaver fur collar and hat.

1966 "Vivace". Evening dress in crepe printed in blue, rose and black.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

1965 An evening suit with a new and young spirit. It is designed in red double-face wool. The sheath dress has a bathing suit top and a very audacious knee-high slit in the front. The dress is topped with a short classical jacket.

vads.ahds.ac.uk

That's about it for now. Phew! :blush: You can see more information on each piece (fabric manufacturer and content, hair stylist, season...) by searching for "Balmain" in the London College of Fashion database at http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?_IXDB_=vads&_IXSESSION_=oaYM9JE7Lv7&search-form=search.html&submit-button=search. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->