1982 Predictions for Fashion in 2001

Reaction score
i found this great book called "fashion 2001" at the strand the other day. it was published in 1982. for it, the author (a photographer) asked about 90 prominent designers of the day what they thought would be fashionable in 2001 and had them give her an outfit based on their predictions for future fashion.

it is very interesting to see what these designers foresaw 20 years in the future. imo, most of the looks failed to predict accurately fashion of the 21st century. most of them capture what happened merely a few years later in mid to late 80s fashion and seem dated by 2001 standards. (come to think of it, given the current 80s obsession, maybe a lot of these predictions are more accurate for 2009).

anyway here are some of the designers' 1982 predictions for fashion in 2001.

Giorgio Armani:
2001armani.jpg

Basile:
2001basile.jpg

Pierre Cardin:
2001cardin.jpg

Karl Lagerfeld for Chloe:
2001chloe.jpg

Gianfranco Ferre:
2001ferre.jpg

Jean Paul Gaultier (he predicted spray-on latex clothes:(
2001gaultier.jpg

Givenchy:
2001givenchy.jpg

Jean-Charles de Castelbajac:
2001jcdc.jpg

Issey Miyake:
2001miyake.jpg

Claude Montana:
2001montana.jpg

Thierry Mugler:
2001mugler.jpg

Gianni Versace:
2001versace.jpg

scans by me

you're right.. it still looks 80s to me..

but the spray on latex clothes by Gaultier, there is already a textile designer that does that. it is not latex though, it's more like a wiry wool i think..

thanks for the thread! ^^

It is no different than how designers do futuristic looks today.

when i red the title i was preparing myself to laugh, but i find it interesting now i see the pics... JPG was really funny though, we should see what he did on 2001 and compare...

all of the photographs are by the author of the book, lucille khornak. couldn't really find much info about her. according to the blurb on the book's dust jacket, she was a "high-fashion model" in new york before becoming a photographer. it goes on to say her work appeared in many publications as well as advertising. her website seems to indicate she now does mostly family and stock photography...

this is so interesting!
pierre cardin's prediction is quite.. i'm just amaized of how almost everyone thought (movies also show us that) 2000s would be all about star trek kind of clothes...
thank you for posting :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this book.

fashion.fashoff, could you post more images, please?

The Claude Montana design reminds me very much of this Marc Jacobs FW 08 look:
00010m.jpg

(style.com)

^ i was about to say the same - though not the same collection !

and last time i found another 1980s designer coat that looks very similar to another MJ coat ... anyway ...

I wonder if some designers would play this game again now ...

Coz we basically know that the 1950s-1960s fantasy of the 21th century was a big joke. And this ... well ... They were more focused on "creating" a woman than anything else. now ... it's just an art direction thing .... for 80% of the designers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->