1984-1992 John Galliano London Period

Discussion in 'History of Style : A Remembrance of Things Past' started by MsCrow, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MsCrow

MsCrow Member

Hello

I have been looking for images recently from this very early period of Galliano's career (I really do need to find a copy of that McDowell book) because I think this is when his cutting was at his most daring. I suppose he had nothing to lose. I'm still trying to work out how to wear a circle top.

I have this collection of FW2007/8 images from a promo box which also contains a muslin printed scarf. These were shot in Wales. The image names are the name of I suppose the design, on the back of each postcard. I have no idea if these are old hat or you haven't seen them before so I thought I'd post them up...and hope other people have some early images to share.

Thank you

All images are credited to John Galliano and photographer Carrie Branovan

Attached Files:

2. gius

gius Active Member

Thanks for the photos^^ There's a lot posted in this thread
    History of John Galliano http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60/history-john-galliano-213.html?highlight=galliano

I feel the same way about his cutting skills ^^I think a lot of people consider him overrated since his shows can be very extravagant and thought of as full of fluff, but especially when watching the clothes live, as the models turn there are a lot of interesting details missed in the photos.. There's a nice flow to his work, front to back. Every now and then even in the couture he's designed in this decade, I've found some interesting patterns. Really a master!
    There was a feature on him on FashionTelevision last year, they showed him when he was still a student I think, it might have been his graduation collection and he was talking about a jacket and the way it was cut.. So interesting --and I ran out of VHS tapes at the time, so I couldn't record it :doh: Terribly sad..!

#2 gius, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 3, 2010
  3. gius

gius Active Member

4. gius

gius Active Member

some pieces fashion.fashoff owns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. gius

gius Active Member

A John Galliano claret wool crepe cropped jacket, mid 1980s, labelled, double-breasted with outsized pointed collar, black buttons linked by a cord
    kerrytaylorauctions

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. gius

gius Active Member

John Galliano Black Strapless Evening Gown
    1980s
    Composed of black wool with white mohair stripes, a sculptural and asymmetrical skirt
    doylenewyork

[​IMG]

7. gius

gius Active Member

:shock: Thank god I saved this show.. The links are all dead in the other thread!

Spring/Summer 1985
    catwalking
    orig post by justinleaddict

Attached Files:

8. gius

gius Active Member

cont.

Attached Files:

9. gius

gius Active Member

Do you have a piece by him that has this kind of circle pattern? I recently heard about the technique through muxu.. It was a top that looked like a babydoll, flaring at the hem. I guess you have to seam it if you want to add sleeves

This shirt looks like it could be cut that way
    [​IMG]
    same source as above

These are by Tao, fall 2006
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    style.com

10. gius

gius Active Member

In the first video here, you see some clips of his work from the eighties
    http://tendances.vogue.fr/images/vid...galliano-1.flv
    http://tendances.vogue.fr/images/vid...galliano-2.flv
    http://tendances.vogue.fr/images/vid...galliano-3.flv
    http://tendances.vogue.fr/images/vid...galliano-4.flv

I like them the most, His work seems to change completely afterwards. He mentions clothes that can be worn by either sex or upside-down and the current point in time of his graduation with Armani all around dressing women in men's clothes​

Attached Files:

11. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

:shock: John with short slicked back hair :shock:

12. gius

gius Active Member

Yea^^ he reminds me a bit of a narrower faced Clark Gable..

13. martinel

martinel Member

14. MsCrow

MsCrow Member

Thanks for adding some more images, I found the other thread fascinating so sorry if this one is a little repetitive. I love the Afghan shirt, and the jacket. The top I have is charcoal grey wool, a closer and more structured winter cut using the circle design. When it's on a hanger the body goes to a point but worn it is fitted and very ruched.

It's a shame in a way (not that it was for everyone) that he moved away from the interchangeable possibilities of clothing because to design for such different body shapes as men and women are means a totally radical approach. I recognise that the late nineties and early noughties saw him reach the cut and polish of silhouettes and the use of fabric which he'd been developing. But I think it also took him down a narrower route and it's probably hard to break out of that now; when does the man ever get the opportunity to pause now?

Martinel, I finally got a hardback copy of the McDowell book on Galliano. I could scan and post some of the 90-95 images if the book doesn't break my scanner...it's so heavy and I'm not sure it'll fit on any of my bookshelves. Whoops.

15. Hafdis

Hafdis Active Member

John Galliano Autumn/Winter 1988: Hairclips

John Galliano’s Autumn/Winter 1988 collection 'Hairclips' was presented at London Fashion Week. The collection showcased Galliano’s signature tailoring with models styled in asymmetric jackets layered over wide leg shorts, culottes, and tailored pants. Other key garments included asymmetric chiffon blouses and miniskirts with box pleats. The color palette consisted of earthy blacks, browns, gray green and mushroom with brighter tones of purple, emerald, mint green, light blue, light pink and burgundy. Accessories comprised of court shoes in black, forest green, denim blue and purple, statement asymmetric hats, block colored tights, chiffon shawls and suede cream gloves. Make up was theatrical with bright blue and brown eyeshadow and red lipstick forming heart shapes. Hair was styled into lattice braids with hairclips amassed on model’s heads creating a weight and tension akin to wearing metal helmets, which contrasted the soft and fluid tailoring.
    (Text from bloomsburyfashionvideo.com)