2000 - 2010 : The Review of A Decade in Fashion Magazine Industry

BerlinRocks

Reaction score
I am bored so .......

Very soon, 2010 comes and we'll see everywhere reports and thoughts of what was this FIRST 2000's decade.

So I thought we could share and discuss our opinions about this decade.
What has changed in Fashion Magazines Industry ? What sort of trends it is possible to draw - like in the 90s Heroïn Chic/p*rno Chic - what "Chic" is the 00s decade ? etc.

For instance, the 00s saw the rise (and fall) of many fashion magazines ...
The late 00s saw a new definition of Fashion Magazines which could be something more about a lifestyle than a collection of editorials (see Uomo Vogue).
Roitfeld being the 00s Editor-in-Chief of Vogue ...
Asia gained a lot of place in the industry etc.

Though, in the end this thread could become a sort of 00s Awards for anything BEST in Fashion Magazines, I guess we should begin with words ...
Non ? Images could, though, come as illustration to your arguments.

And of course, we can talk about MODELS ! :P

A Fashion Magazine is the centre point of everything in Fashion Industry. the recession even does prove us economics is a huge % of Fashion Magazine DNA !

Great Thread. Thanks for this BerlinRocks

It will be successful thread I believe

Other ideas :

Blogs impact on press industries in Fashion
Meisel 'satirexethnology' editorials
The New 'Top'Models and the ComeBack of the Originals
The Celebs vs Models in USA
The New Photogs (Camilla Akrans, Magnus, Marcus Mam, Karim Sadli etc.)
The New Stylists (Panos, Olivier Rizzo, Nicola etc.)
The Rise of Fashion in Men Magazines
The Impact of 'Raw Photographer' Terry Richardson in Fashion Photography
The 'Girly-Romantism' photography (ex : Lula)
Did streetstyle had an impact on Fashion Editorials ? (ex : Jalouse and its sisters)
Who is the Fashion Editor of the 00s ? (Carine Roitfeld ?)
Which magazine embodies the 00s Fashion Magazine ?

Great Thread. Thanks for this BerlinRocks

It will be successful thread I believe
thanks.

i hope so ! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
The New 'Top'Models and the ComeBack of the Originals
The Celebs vs Models in USA
Who is the Fashion Editor of the 00s ? (Carine Roitfeld ?)
I have a little to say about all three. I'll start with the top models and comebacks. Obviously, a few "new" top models would have to be Chanel Iman, Coco Rocha, Lily Donaldson, Doutzen Kroes, Lara Stone, Natasha Poly... The models we see every month in, if not just one, several magazines. The comebacks were definitely Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell, not necessarily Kate Moss because I don't feel like she ever went anywhere, Stephanie Seymour...
On to another topic, obviously 99% of us at The Fashion Spot would much rather models over celebrities on magazine covers. Every now and then though, there will be that celebrity that you LOVE to see on the cover. I hate how Anna Wintour's excuse for putting celebrities on the covers is to sell more, when truthfully, I have ignored buying US Vogue several times because of the actress on the cover. Models are what's important in fashion, not necessarily actresses or singers. So, hopefully in the coming decade we will see more models!!!
And the question "Who is the Fashion Editor of the 00s?" Well, obviously Anna Wintour is the most known editor in America, but in France, I would say Carine Roitfeld. Also, personally, I prefer Roitfeld over Wintour even in America. Anna plays it safe, she doesn't do anything daring, she recycles editorials and there is never anything new, as opposed to Carine, who always has new tricks up her sleeves. I would definitely say Carine Roitfeld embodies the 00's to me.
Can't wait to hear everyone else's response! Great idea for a thread B)

Very interesting!
Like BerlinRocks said, I think that we should discuss about photographers in magazines... A lot of 'new' photographers like Alasdair, Camilla, Daniel Jackson have gotten more and more eds.
During the 90's Testino, Herb Ritts, Meisel and others ruled the mags... What about the 00's? M&M, Craig McDean, I&V, Terry R, David Sims... All those ones I said before have done some relevant work for fashion mags since the 90's, but during the 00's their work became more frequent.

We should also talk about the 'british invasion' in press... Like Love Mag.
Another point is the end of Pop, The Face and now Mixte.

Does anyone want to write an article about this for tFS? I think this would be AMAZING!

Let me know.

^ Great Idea

subscribed it at once:magic:can't wait to see some fashion magazine guru(like ASF...)'s comment on this..

VOGUE cover statistics 2000-2009

VOGUE cover model of the 2000s (all countries:(

65 covers - Gisele Bündchen
52 - Natalia Vodianova
39 - Daria Werbowy
38 - Kate Moss
35 - Gemma Ward

VOGUE Euro cover model of the 2000s (European countries:(

27 - Gisele Bündchen
26 - Kate Moss
23 - Daria Werbowy
22 - Natalia Vodianova
20 - Karolina Kurkova

VOGUE US cover model of the 2000s:

7 - Gisele Bündchen
5 - Nicole Kidman
4 - Carmen Kass, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson, Keira Knightley, Renée Zellweger, Sarah Jessica Parker

All figures are based on my own statistics.

For instance, the 00s saw the rise (and fall) of many fashion magazines ...

I'm very interested in this part. Magazines like The Face folded while Vogue continues to spread its franchise in India and China.

What else...
price of the clothing featured and how that affects the readers
- and related to that would be the glamorous lifestyle that Vogue is trying to promote
the fashion magazine and the hipster scene in London
Meisel versus Klein

But yeah, those ideas could be the subject of many articles and not just one.

a quite interesting tendency we've seen these few years is how polarized the business fashion publications has got. there have been numerous mainstream titles which were as obsessed with the idea of appealing to masses as were they mad about their sales figures (US Vogue, Bazaar, Elle etc). and then you had all those niche and super-niche publications which spent much time not only addressing to small groups of readers but also securing themselves of getting too popular in a way (Tank Magazine, Dansk, Muse). but when the whole world got in economic troubles all those niche titles started unfolding or... changing their course rapidly. now those who survived the first wave of closings, start to rethink their position in the market and many of those who felt too elitist to bother about common fashion reader are trying to somehow get him spend his cash. at the same time the very mainstream gets hysterical about its ad revenues and newsstands sales trying to figure out how on earth would they sell few more copies of their 'product'. and this leads to a very confusing and perverted idea of how fashion titles (mainstream AND niche) should exist nowadays (here you get the common cover text overdoses, Mariah on the cover of i-D, tabloid picture of Angelina Jolie on HB and this whole bunch of cover missteps of Interview).

A quote from Luxx - from W Aug. 2009 thread :

The market no longer allows for this. How often do we even see a model on the cover of those magazines anymore, let alone a model that is newer? Gisele and Karolina emerged during a time when those opportunities were still present each month. Now each and every one of those magazines is essentially dominated by celebrities and the odds of any model - even a supermodel such as Gisele appearing on all of those magazines at once is unlikely. I think we have to judge differently now - the rules have changed. We have bonafide supermodels who have yet to get a single only girl slot on Vogue US or W - for Lara to get a cover of a major American fashion magazine and an article about her is very good. If anything this reminds me of Daria's W cover. People who don't know much about Lara are going to get to see her shine.

I also don't think the conversation should be whether or not Lara is an icon. We don't know what is going to be considered iconic in a few years - this time next year we could all be having this conversation about someone else entirely. I think what is more important is what makes Lara the girl of the moment and why she has been selected as opposed to other girls.

Great thread! And thanks to achat for that statistical data there. It's pretty useful. I'm still trying to compose my thoughts for a little essay for this thread so.. un moment! ^_^

VOGUE cover model of the 2000s (all countries:(

65 covers - Gisele Bündchen
52 - Natalia Vodianova
39 - Daria Werbowy
38 - Kate Moss
35 - Gemma Ward

VOGUE Euro cover model of the 2000s (European countries:(

27 - Gisele Bündchen
26 - Kate Moss
23 - Daria Werbowy
22 - Natalia Vodianova
20 - Karolina Kurkova

VOGUE US cover model of the 2000s:

7 - Gisele Bündchen
5 - Nicole Kidman
4 - Carmen Kass, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson, Keira Knightley, Renée Zellweger, Sarah Jessica Parker

All figures are based on my own statistics.
wow, this was definetly Gisele Bündchen's decade. 65 cover is :shock:
This was also the decade of celebrities outshining models and also the rise of VS models -_-

OMG! 65 covers in 10 years is not a joke! WOW! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->