209 dead in bushfires in Victoria, Australia (update: death toll increase)

Belowen

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
AT least 36 people are dead in the bushfires ripping through Victoria, but the death toll could pass 40.
Authorities are undertaking a grim search for more bodies this morning as horrific eyewitness accounts emerge from devastated communities. It was estimated at least 640 homes had been lost.
Police Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe said authorities had confirmed 36 deaths just in the fringes of the affected areas. He warned the final toll would likely be "a lot more".
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced emergency relief funding for the state, saying "Hell in all its fury had visited ... many good people lie dead".
Whole towns have been destroyed and thousands of people left homeless with record temperatures and fierce winds sparking devastating infernos.
The town of Marysville was reported to have been wiped out, but the Country Fire Authority (CFA) said many residents had made it to emergency shelter in a local park.
More destruction and power blackouts are possible, with up to a dozen fires still burning out of control. And it has been reported that arsonists are suspected of relighting some fires after fire crews had brought them under control.

Most of the bodies were discovered in towns northeast of Melbourne - six at Kinglake, six at Kinglake West, four each at Callignee, Wandong and St Andrews, three each at Humevale and Hazelwood, and one each in Arthurs Creek, Strathewan, Upper Callignee, Jeealang, Long Gully and Bendigo.
At least six bodies were found in the one car at Kinglake, with reports that others may have been trying to escape the fire in cars.
Police have not yet given the gender or ages of the victims, but one Kinglake resident said three members of the same family, believed to include a 14-year-old girl, a nine-year-old boy and an uncle, had died in the same house.
"It rained fire," another Kinglake resident told Sky News.
Strathewen resident Mary Avola said her husband of 43 years, Peter Avola, was among those killed. "He was behind me for a while and we tried to reach the oval but the gates were locked," she told Melbourne's Herald Sun.
"He just told me to go and that's the last time I saw him."
Firefighter Richard Hoyle described the scene as "a holocaust". "The road is riddled with burnt-out cars involved in multiple collisions and debris," he said.
Raylene Kincaide, of Narbethong, said her home had been destroyed and there was little left of the town. "Everyone we know has lost everything they had," she said on ABC radio.
More than 20 people have been admitted to Melbourne's Alfred Hospital with burns and three are in a critical condition. Seven of the injured have burns to more than 30 per cent of their bodies.

news.com.au

Arsonists have been re-lighting fires that volunteers have been putting out all day today too... I just don't understand how people could do that.

fire4.jpg

fire5.jpg

ninemsn.com.au

Whole towns have been destroyed and thousands of people left homeless with record temperatures and fierce winds sparking devastating infernos.

oh my God..seriously? that's terrible

The death toll has risen to 65, and will continue to rise.. :(

I've heard the news & this is so bad, I hope they extinguish the fires soon as possible & the temperature need to go down! get safe, aussies!:(

108 now.. Whoever started the fires will be charged with 108 deaths :ninja: it's just crazy... Thankfully mother nature stepped in, and it's been raining...

oh my goodness... those pictures :shock:

this is so sad and scary :( my heart goes out to all of the families... i can't believe it...

I cried while watching this on the news this morning. It's utterly heartbreaking & so horrific. And to think most of the fires were deliberately lit. I have no words to describe what I feel towards the people that did this.

I donated online to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal at www.redcross.org.au

I hope, if you can afford it, that you can find it in your hearts to donate too Xxxx

It's scary how every time I've seen this, the toll is an even larger number. And why would someone light even more fires?!

So terrible :(. Those pictures are scary. I wonder though, were people not told to flee? I can't imagine how so many people could die! And what a terrible way to go. My worst fear.

i have friends in victoria so close to all of this....they said the destruction is just horrific..

i spoke to my dad in sydney last night and he said from the news footage these towns look like war zones....i can't even imagine..

my heart goes out to everyone that's been affected....it's just unreal..

So terrible :(. Those pictures are scary. I wonder though, were people not told to flee? I can't imagine how so many people could die! And what a terrible way to go. My worst fear.

A lot of people stayed behind to try and save their homes, a lot of people were attempting to escape and have died in their vehicles :( people don't always realise how fast firestorms can move... They mentioned on the news that some of the blazes were moving at over 100km an hour... Tying to outrun something with such powerful force can be difficult :unsure:

:cry::cry::cry:
i cried watching the news as well. the death toll is up to 131. over 750 homes completely destroyed. its just so horrible :cry:

like Belowen said, fire storms move so quickly and it happened when 2 fire fronts joined at night. some of the flames were up to 40m high in the firestorm. i cannot even imagine being trapped in a car as that came towards you..

they also said the people caught so far have been charged with arson and they are pushing to lay charges for (at least) 131 counts of reckless murder and endangerment. I hope they are in jail for a long time, its such a disgusting side of humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
So horrific.

A colleague of my fathers died in these fires. I'm sure everyone here in Victoria will know someone who has been directly affected :(

And newsreader Brian Naylor :o I remember watching him on the news every night throughout my childhood. I know no death is more important than another, but I was so shocked by his.

We used to go to King Lake all the time as a child.

The deathtoll is now 131.

I didn't realise they had arrested anyone Bliss, that's crazy... I have to wonder though, if the intent was to kill, or if it was just a case of pyromania and arson that blew up to the extreme. Either way, it's horrifying :(

Everyone at work donated to the red cross today, and I'm giving blood on Sunday so hopefully that will help too.

It's officially the worst natural disaster in Australian history :ninja:

The thought of people fleeing in their cars brings me to tears, they had no escape... :cry: They found an elderly lady passed away in her car next to her favourite china... She had taken the time to gather it all, and that might have cost her valuable time :(

One family hid in a wombat hole, and managed to survive...

0,,6477466,00.jpg

0,,6477462,00.jpg

0,,6477460,00.jpg

0,,6476851,00.jpg

0,,6476849,00.jpg

0,,6476856,00.jpg

news.com.au

Didn't this happen last year also? I remember seeing stories about possibly evacuating major cities.

There are bushfires every summer in Australia... But this is the worst we've ever seen...

Absolutely horrific news. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone down in Victoria, Australia. I'll send my deepest thoughts and prayers to all family and friends affected by this horrific incident including the victims themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->