45 rpm jeans

I tried a pair on when i went to paris around xmas...i hated them.

They were all grainy and urgh...I couldn't justify the price either...

*oh no... my shreaded wheat has gone soggy after reading all that:(*

I'm surprised that you didn't like the finish jhamie, if I understand you right - what about the cut though - thats the thing I'm less sure about

I guess it depends on what style you try on... I honestly didn't know anything about them when i went in...i just liked the look of the shop if i'm being truthful.

They just appeared to be very grainy in appearence...

They didn't sit right for me either...i'm a 31" waist, so I pick up 32's...and a 32" inside leg...and they just sat weird around my bum...like...they were loose, but not baggy, and just sagged around my ***...(maybe its cause i have no ***...not that am skinny)...but yea

i think it's cause i'm like very particular about what jeans i wear...

i've only worn 3 pairs of bluebloods for the past year and a bit...

I try distressed evisu now and then when i find a cool pair with oil stains all over and so on..but they always fit awful...

Ask a Shop Clerk

Logan Lin

45 RPM, 17 E. 71st St., nr. Madison Ave.; 212-737-5545

storefront060821_2_198.jpg

[FONT=Georgia,Garamond,Times][FONT=Georgia,Garamond,Times](Photo: Brad Paris)[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Do you guys take turns hanging out in that tree-cocoon?
No. We usually put clothes in there.

Who designed the store?
The architecture firm Sankakuya from Kyoto. They build everything in Japan and bring it here. The doors are from an old church.

The store has a holy smell, like a temple. What is it?
Sandalwood incense from Kyoto, mixed with Santa Maria Novella potpourri. And there’s a lot of wood. Cedar floors and Kusu walls.

Why is it called 45RPM?
The founder was into old Americana. This fall, there is a lot of Americana with the Umii line, which means ocean. Big Boss created it after old fisherman outfits.

Who’s Big Boss?
We have two main designers; there’s a lady, Yasumi, and Oyakata, which means foreman.

Why is it all so expensive?
We make garments from scratch. The designers buy old fabric, study the weave, and make the denim with vintage shuttle looms.

What’s your favorite thing in the store?
The Jomon denim. Jomon is a really old era of Japan—like, 10,000 B.C. It’s the best denim we’ve ever made—natural-point indigo dye, hand-dyed, ring-spun Zimbabwe cotton, and they slow down the shuttle loom so it has a bumpy look.

Your hairstyle is like the samurai’s mullet. I love it.
Yes, especially when I tie it up high. A guy called Shin cuts it. He’s opening his salon, called Shinske, on East 4th.

nymag.com

Johnny said:
I'm aware of the fundamental ridiculousness of that statement, but I mean withint the parameters within which we usually operate on this forum, viz., that clothes can be artisanally made, and are "worth it" if they handmande, use innovative materials or processes etc..

:lol: That was the best sentence ever!!!!!!!

thanks for the article Softie, that was funny!:P

There are three 45rpm stores all within 15 minutes of my home, they've been around quite a while. I find that they are very unpretentious and down-to-earth, rustic, timeless...it has a very... traditional Japanese "workman" vibe. From the discussion here it seems as if the stores overseas have cultivated a more artsy edge?

Years ago I got my mom a woven shirt from here; she's lived in it year after year and it still looks new...or rather, improves with age. Thick, rough, so satisfyingly lovely.

The only problem I have with the brand is that it seems as if everything from top to bottom is cut very wide and baggy...which is fine if you like that kind of thing, but it can be a bit overbearing or humoresque, esp. on women...

Last edited by a moderator:
the 45rpm store in soho is not too far from the stores in japan.

re: jhaime - they're supposed to be "grainy" or rather slubby- that's what they are going for when they are using old looms and slowing them down to create a unique fabric. as far as the fit, i don't know why you sized up? i prefer to size down one with their jeans- true size if you want to wear them a little loose. also repro jeans are usually anti-fit. you should try on their jomon model- you'd probably like the fit of those.

Miss Galliano said:
I don't like to wear jeans ...

No one is making you... are they? :unsure:

I bought my Sorahikos (thanks xcrx!) in my normal size and they are actually fairly snug-fitting, especially considering that they are a repro cut. The fit and finish of these jeans is very impressive.

they stretch though, so if you don't wash your jeans that often (though i think the people here would be rather disgusted by that though) they'll get very loose- that's why i prefer to size down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->