a dandy take on jeans

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
seems like a new direction for jeans, the 'dandy' look, shot here by Talaya Centeno and printed at wwd of today.. opinions?

042706_5p.jpg

Michael H's waxed cotton denim blazer; rayon and Lycra spandex vest from A|X Armani Exchange, and cotton and polyurethane jeans from AG Adriano Goldschmied. Stuart Weitzman boots.

042706_4p.jpg

Cotton blouse from What Comes Around Goes Around and cotton denim jeans from Evisu European Edition

042706_2p.jpg

Earnest Sewn's cotton denim vest and pencil skirt. Oakley belt.

credited to www.wwd.com

more from the same editorial, credited as above

042706_1p.jpg

Imitation Denim's cotton denim dress and capelet. La Crasia gloves; Emilio Cavallini tights.

042706.jpg

Other than the styling I don't understand how the jeans themselves are dandy?

it certainly is in the styling but also in using denim waistcoats or jackets influenced from the 'turn of the century' 'trend' meg, its quite fresh to see denim jackets worked in this way no?

btw, i adore the cover ruffled jacket, unfortunately no credits on who designed this :(

Hmm. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I agree with Meg that I really don't see much of a dandy thing going on in the pictures. The ruffle on the denim jacket is interesting though.

I agree with Meg also... And Lena let me know if you find where the ruffled jacket is from. I NEED it.

oh.. I thought it was Audrey Hepburn :blush:

It looks very interesting..

Well, I'm sort of on both sides here... The styling makes it what it is, but on the other hand I think "real" or "serious" denim is finally about to make a big breakthrough. Darker denim, raw denim, higher waists, more class.

Pre-torn, sl*tty denim has been over for a long time now, but I think that even the "clueless" are finally ready to embrace classier denim.

tott, I have already joined the "dark side" as you know, but I think the mainstream acceptance is very much dependent on where you are.

Just within the US, NY -> California -> New Orleans (for example) can take 2-3 years.

San Francisco is not very fashion-forward IMO and True Religion Distressed Joeys are still the height of fashion. :rolleyes:

I like the jeans in the first pic, very elegant-looking, although I don't know if the word dandy would have come to mind. I can see it, though.

i like the way these looks are harmonic yet edgy:smile:
it's the nice opposite of the common look - 'exspensive/classy' looking tops and heels combined with distressed/embellished jeans:rolleyes:...

Just Dandy
Photo by Talaya Centeno
NEW YORK — With a nod to equestrian looks and tuxedo styling, denim designers are playing up ruffled blouses, boyish vests and streamlined skirts and jeans.

here the wwd intro that was prined together with this editorial, explaining their use of the 'dandy' term..
btw personally i trust wwd's credited journalists, if they say dandy, dandy it is for me :wink:

I can see how the styling is dandy, but hasn't there been a return to more serious and somber styles since last year?
I guess jeans are the latest garments to play catch-up.
Before that we had blouses, skirts..even bags for that matter.

I think it's mostly the styling as well, the vests and what not seem more a reaction to the victorian and turn of the century trends of the last couple years.

I definitely see jeans moving in a sharper, sleeker direction. It's a fine line though when jeans just become sharp trousers made with denim.
Not sure if that's 'dandy' per se though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->