A Missoni Story

strawberry daiquiri

seagreen serenades
Reaction score
A Missoni Story

In the fashion world, if you aren't ahead of the game you run the risk of being a follower, a knock off; you run the risk of being High Street. A good ten years prior to Gloria Steinem emploring women to strip themselves of the gender walls built by patriarchal societies, Rosita Missoni, in an accidental moment of near genius, made a split- decision that would shock the fashion world and alter the designer fashion industry.

"Girls, take them off. Lose the bras."

In 1967, it just so happened that the aesthetic appeal of the would-be House of Missoni's knitwear collection was greatly dimished by the wearing of bras by the models. The undergarments took away from the smooth, caressing lines of the jersey fabric, which played a significant role in the overall designs.

Little did Rosita know that the bright lights of the catwalk would render these pieces nearly transparent. This chance move, in the still-innocent sixties, made International headlines and established Missoni as a creative force to be reckoned with; well able to stand alongside the likes of YSL, Celine and Christian Dior and challenge such well-established fashion houses to push their creative boundaries.

The House of Missoni was built on a foundation of passion by a husband and wife team. In the late fourties, Ottavio (Tai) Missoni, a member of the Italian Olympic Team, designed the uniforms for his teammates that year. Rosita saw him run the 400m hurdle.

Five years later, married and with children soon to be born, their meagre beginnings consisted of a small workshop where the two created art; the only term fit to describe their early knitwear designs. Taking much of their inspiration from folk art, the Missoni's employed the use of graphic designs and print, using bold patterns cleverly blended with vibrant colours.

It is by sheer coincidence that this season's catwalks were graced by the same vibrant colour and op-art print that has brought Missoni critical acclaim. As the youngest Missoni, Angela has comfortably assumed her role as the heir to the creative throne. Making such impactful decisions as employing Kate Moss, a neo-Brigitte Bardot, as the Label's spokesmodel has seen Missoni come out pouting, seducing and enticing. She brings with her a generation of tradition which has made the House of Missoni so distinctive in the past.

Angela weaves with it a thread of modernism which has allowed her to reinvent fashion at every turn, carefully blending her appreciation for her roots with her own creative spirit and a passion for what Missonis do best.

By: Naoise Hefferon

I'm still waiting for my Missoni umbrella :innocent:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jan 18th, 2004 - 1:11 pm
push their creative boundaries.

Yeah, I mean it's not like Missoni do striped knitwear every season or anything...
LISTEN , KIDDIO :innocent:

I've bought Missoni from Browns , since the 70s !!!
I can SAFELY say that it's THE BEST knitwear , in the world !!!

SO THERE !!!!!

KIT B)

If anyone wants to see pieces from above-mentioned 1967 collection (or other years for that matter) there's a few nice books about Missoni in and out of print.

Below on the left is a 1967 outfit and on the right is I think a 1967 dress (either that or '66 or '68).

Vintage Missoni rocks. Congratulations on 50 years.

Originally posted by Atelier@Jan 18th, 2004 - 2:14 pm
If anyone wants to see pieces from above-mentioned 1967 collection (or other years for that matter) there's a few nice books about Missoni in and out of print.

Below on the left is a 1967 outfit and on the right is I think a 1967 dress (either that or '66 or '68).

Vintage Missoni rocks. Congratulations on 50 years.
AGREED ABSOLUTELY !!!!

Nice to meet a fellow fan :heart:

Your ' zig-zag friend ' , KIT :rolleyes:

I love Missoni. I especially liked the Spring 2001 collections. I find it quite classy and even though they do zig-zags and stripes each season, it always has a new flair with the same class :woot: :heart:

kit can i PLEASE have some of your vintage knitwear you (i hope) dont fit into any longer :buzz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->