A Retrospective : US Harper's Bazaar under Liz Tilberis (1992 - 1999)

Harper`s Bazaar december 1997 (re-print)

Danielle Zinaich, Kylie Bax by Karl Lagerfeld
styled by Sarajane Hoare

scanned by Alien Sex Friend @ fashion_screen

Oh my god. I love the editorial from February 1998.

Oh,how wonderful it was.

Harper`s Bazaar july 1995

Trish Goff, Kate Moss by Mario Testino

scanned by Alien Sex riend @ fashion_screen

Those eds are very 90s, of course it's because they are from the 90s actually... but I really love the simplicity and cleanness of this era. It's too bad this mag is not like this anymore.
Thanks for all the scans, ASF.

she was unbelievable! I was a buyer back in those days and Bazaar was so inspirational. Now it is junk - I barely skim the pages anymore - same with American Vogue.

^it's true. liz made bazaar inspiring. she made something you could look forward to and be excited to see every month.

glenda bailey has ruined that magazine. it's sad that she's managed to turn what was once the only magazine that could stand alongside vogue(even eclipse what they did,imo)into marie claire with a different title.

i never understood their decision on glenda bailey then and i still don't get it. she's horrendous. they criticised kate betts so much for trying make bazaar a little more forward with more attention on innovative talents yet they hire this woman and she's turned into something that i can only equate to rubbish. kate was doing a fine job and suddenly after two years they ripped the rug from beneath her.

kate paid special attention to what was going on beyond the stuffy establishment. paying close attention to miguel adrover,hussein chalayan,V&R,bruce,cianciolo,branquinho,a.f. vandevorst,balenciaga,preen....all labels that were really buzzing at that time and weren't getting as much attention elsewhere.

It's tragic what has become of Bazaar since her unfortunate departure. She did great things visually...

Liz's creative vision and generous heart knew no bounds. Her open-mind, sincerity, loyalty and zest for life touched so many other lives, including mine.

Reading this now, I'm still overcome with emotion:cry:.

This woman had soul. Now here's an Editor-in-Chief worth basing a movie on:heart:

US Harper's Bazaar June 1999 " Letter from the Staff "

my scan

Thanks for posting, i still cried when i read it.:cry:

"Out On The Ocean"

ph.Patrick Demarchelier
Bazaar US November 1992

scanned by Omifan

I'm surprised Anja gets so little attention/appreciation. The DeMarchelier shots of her are so reminiscent of Frances McLaughlin-Gill:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
^that is amy wesson and christina,indeed. i remember that one so clearly. TY :wink:

the covers alone are a thing of beauty, puts to shame every single cover these days...
thanks everyone for sharing :smile:

" NY"
Harper's Bazaar January 1998
Photographer: Terry Richardson
Model: Kate Moss
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Jimmy Paul
Make-up: Francesco Valera

A killer triple-threat yet so easy on the eyes : Tonne, Terry & Kate :wub: those were the days...

Posted by m.j. via carmelita @ bellazon
except 1st page ellastica scan
2nd & 4th images via katemossonline

US Harper's Bazaar July 1998
"Blue"
Model: Bridget Hall
Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Elissa Santisi
Hair: Unknown
Makeup: Unknown

Scanned by AngelLover @ The Celebrity City

Note: One shot is missing.