About Your Portfolio, for Applying to Fashion School and After Graduation

marrimoda

doing it
Reaction score
Hi all...I've not been on the spot much lately...busy...school you know...

I am wondering about those of you who have portfolios...

what kind of case did you select...your preferences?
where did you get your case/presentation book?
Layout you used?
types of work you included?

I havent seen a discussion topic on this, if there has already been one sorry about any repetition.

I have an 8x11 portfolio case thingy that flips up in a certain way that it will stand on it's own.. perfect for making presentations... got it at Pearl Paint.

My layouts are all similar in that they are easily read by the eye... I usually have two introductory layouts that include the ideas behind the design, swatches, and inspiration... and then the following pages after that are separated into shoes, bags, belts... all hand rendered and then thrown into photoshop to fix them up a bit. I also took pictures of the actual things I've made and have a separate section with the pic and a black/white line drawing of the item...

Hope this helped...

Everything about Your Portfolio ... for Fashion School

Hey all,
I have to construct a certain type of portfolio for the course that I wish to get into.. And i was wondering if i could get all y'all opinions to help me get into the course...
heres the 1st requirement that the school wishes for:

"Construct a collage of images demonstrating fashion trends for Summer 2004/2005 - clearly indicate in words what the trends are. Original work"

Remember that im in Australia and so our summer goes from dec-feb so thats why i think they wrote 04/05..

Okay here are my Questions:
-Is this a storyboard?

-Summer 04 was when versace did those floral prints on that massive white runway huh? (as an example)

-Whats summer 05? Doesn't that come out this october in milan?? do i have to wait for those collections to come out??

-If its a storyboard, how would i set it out?

-How many trends do i need? Do i need more than 1 trend because its plural?

-"...clearly indicate in words what the trends are." -> how could this be done effectively?

-The trends i noticed can be viewed in 2 categories, inspirational trends and clothing trends.. for example.. inspirational could be 'floral, beach'... whereas clothing trends could be 'trench coats'... which trends are they looking for.. is their no right or wrong answer?

Thank you very much .. i just wanted your help in order to make my portfolio fantastic!!! I hope its not cheating!? i just dont understand the question fully and im stressing!!!!!

Thanks again, :flower:
Versace

Originally posted by versace@Aug 28 2004, 05:08 AM
Hey all,
I have to construct a certain type of portfolio for the course that I wish to get into.. And i was wondering if i could get all y'all opinions to help me get into the course...
heres the 1st requirement that the school wishes for:

"Construct a collage of images demonstrating fashion trends for Summer 2004/2005 - clearly indicate in words what the trends are. Original work"

Remember that im in Australia and so our summer goes from dec-feb so thats why i think they wrote 04/05..

Okay here are my Questions:
-Is this a storyboard? Yesit is

-Summer 04 was when versace did those floral prints on that massive white runway huh? (as an example) Yup

-Whats summer 05? Doesn't that come out this october in milan?? do i have to wait for those collections to come out?? September/October fashion weeks around the world, yes.

-If its a storyboard, how would i set it out? Its up to you, there are no rules in my opinion - you might want to add some wording to describe the trends

-How many trends do i need? Do i need more than 1 trend because its plural? Personally, I'd do one trend per board and show plural boards, I think putting more than one trends on a board would look messy. Perhaps you could use smaller boards and do three or four. For my clients who sell more than one look, I usually do an evening board, a daytime but dressy board and a casual board.

-"...clearly indicate in words what the trends are." -> how could this be done effectively? You could write an overview to go with each board.

-The trends i noticed can be viewed in 2 categories, inspirational trends and clothing trends.. for example.. inspirational could be 'floral, beach'... whereas clothing trends could be 'trench coats'... which trends are they looking for.. is their no right or wrong answer? Personally , I would do insirational trends.
Thank you very much .. i just wanted your help in order to make my portfolio fantastic!!! I hope its not cheating!? i just dont understand the question fully and im stressing!!!!!

Thanks again, :flower:
Versace
[snapback]347842[/snapback]​

My answers are in your quote above - hope this helps you! B)

Look at the "trendspotting '05" from the NYT topic in the trendspotting forum. The pics from softgrey's link should be helpful to you.

Just another tip to add: Sometimes, to set the mood, I add pics of interiors to my mood/story boards - the trends for interiors are pretty much the same as for clothing - try Wallpaper or Elle Decoration for inspiration.

here is the link to the FS s.s 05 topic

ss05 collections will soon be out so you could wait if you want
but remember that you've been asked for "original" work
quoting articles etc. wouldnt really count.

i'd say make a fashion 'table' for each mood you are proposing,
this should include inspirational photos, colours, sketches
and like pinkmonkey mentioned, you can always mix deco photos
or art as a backdrop.

good luck with your project :flower:

Okay thanks all.. "pinkmonkey" which quotes were u refering to?

So what do you see as the major trends i could use. from Spring/Summer 2004 RTW???? Are trends like gold, 1950s, floral.. etc.. or are trends like say trench coats, knee high boots.. etc.. whats the def of a trend!!?!?!

These are the trends ive found in my understanding for S/S 04:
Correct me on these if im wrong:
-Floral (Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino)
-50's (Vuitton?)
-Feminine
-Old Hollywood Glamour (Dolce & Gabbana, Alberta Ferreti, Cavalli)
-Fur (Gucci, Cavalli)

Originally posted by versace@Aug 29 2004, 04:33 AM
Okay thanks all.. "pinkmonkey" which quotes were u refering to?
[snapback]348684[/snapback]​

If you look on my post above - I quoted your questions - the answers to your questions are written within your quote.

As for trend, you'd be better off doing your boards around, say, floral, gold etc, than trench coats or boots.

Originally posted by versace@Aug 29 2004, 04:42 AM
So what do you see as the major trends i could use. from Spring/Summer 2004 RTW???? Are trends like gold, 1950s, floral.. etc.. or are trends like say trench coats, knee high boots.. etc.. whats the def of a trend!!?!?!

These are the trends ive found in my understanding for S/S 04:
Correct me on these if im wrong:
-Floral (Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino)
-50's (Vuitton?)
-Feminine
-Old Hollywood Glamour (Dolce & Gabbana, Alberta Ferreti, Cavalli)
-Fur (Gucci, Cavalli)
[snapback]348694[/snapback]​

hope this helps :flower:
(by vogue uk)

- hippique chic / equestrian: breeches (jodhpurs), buckles, boots, riding jackets.
- bloomsbury: printed dresses, cardigans, round toed mary-janes.
- hollywood: slinky dresses, sequins, crystals, satin.
- 1970's rockstar: leopard print, chiffon blouses.
- scotland: tartans, checks, tweed.
- new precious: lamé, crystal embroidery, intricate embellishments
- vintage glam: bows, roses, velvet, silks, chiffon.

- coats: wraps, shrugs, caps.
- colours: green, purple, brown.
- accessories: big, bold, metalic.

Originally posted by pinkmonkey@Aug 29 2004, 07:06 AM
If you look on my post above - I quoted your questions - the answers to your questions are written within your quote.

As for trend, you'd be better off doing your boards around, say, floral, gold etc, than trench coats or boots.
[snapback]348740[/snapback]​

Im so sorry pinkmonkey.. i just got lost and thought that ud quoted just what i wrote.. ehhh im dumb!! thanks heaps tho!! :flower:

Originally posted by Purr@Aug 29 2004, 08:12 AM
hope this helps :flower:
(by vogue uk)

- hippique chic / equestrian: breeches (jodhpurs), buckles, boots, riding jackets.
- bloomsbury: printed dresses, cardigans, round toed mary-janes.
- hollywood: slinky dresses, sequins, crystals, satin.
- 1970's rockstar: leopard print, chiffon blouses.
- scotland: tartans, checks, tweed.
- new precious: lamé, crystal embroidery, intricate embellishments
- vintage glam: bows, roses, velvet, silks, chiffon.

- coats: wraps, shrugs, caps.
- colours: green, purple, brown.
- accessories: big, bold, metalic.
[snapback]348780[/snapback]​

Thanks HEAPS!!!! :wink: :flower:

just digging this thread back up because i am im the middle of creating my portfolio in order to get into uni and would like help and suggestions!

i have a few things already fashion illustrations previous projects. things i have produced and made at home such as jewellery, scarves, bags, and clothes. i have also been out and done some photography. i also have some art.

just wondering if anyone would know what to include and how to set it out! or if anyone has had experience of interviews in getting into fashion courses!?

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks:flower:

I think Luna gave some pretty good information. Thank you Luna by the way.

Since you have many things to showcase, you probably want to really focus your portfolio on the particular skills necessary to the person you are showing the portfolio. You should maybe divide it into sections for each concept or medium.

i did my portfolio, i went to my interview, i got in. the only problem is it's not the university i want to get into!:lol:

lol congratulations anyway, what uni did you get into? and what did you have in your portfolio?

huddersfield sounded like a really good course but cant say much about the place im too used to bigger cities.

i had some photos i had taken of newcastle quayside, jewellery i had made, fashion illustrations, my life drawings, and my AS coursework. also pieces i had made.

thing is they just flicked through it quickly and asked me questions which related to my ucas from and why i wanted to be on that course. took all of 10 mins. has given me a confidence boost for my northumbria uni interview. i really wana get in there! i was hoping for advice on how to improve my portfolio but they didnt give me any!:(

lol at least you got an interview, i am applying for CSM (that may be a foolish idea but y'know i might as well try :blush: ) and you dont definatly get an interview they look at your portfolio seperatly (without you being present) and then decide if they want to interview you, and then you still might not get in lol.

so did they tell you there and then yes you're in?

yeah then they send an official one in the post.

im sure you'l get an interview. i only got one relpy back off my route a ucas universities obviously just dont like me either. just wait, might take them a while to process them. fingers crossed.

and good luck let me know how u get on:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->