Accessories Made of Human Hair

aime

Reaction score
Hey there,
Lately I've been thinking of the possibilities of working with human hair as a material for various accessories. Seeing works such as these
20080930_hairylady_250x375.jpg

hairHat1.jpg

left me especially inspired. It just has something so bizarre, but yet so elegant about it.

Has anyone here ever tried working with human hair / hair extensions? How do you assume those things are made? Glue? Weaving?
I would ask my hairdresser about this but it would be a bit too awkward :smile:

Hi aime, please credit the images (what website they came from) or they will be deleted. Thanks!

17.jpg

16.jpg

14.jpg

www.vanderglas.com.au/

This is the first collection of wearable works by Polly van der Glas.

Polly was silversmith qualified in 2006 and won the Craft Victoria Fillipo Raphael Fresh! Award upon graduation.

All works are handmade in Melbourne, with sterling silver, human hair and human teeth. Human teeth are locally donated and sterilised, and human hair is either locally donated or sourced from India and China.

Teeth are particularly difficult to come by, so any donations are gratefully accepted.

ive always loved it as well, have a few designs drawn up.. but finding the hair is probably the hardest part!

Pretty!
But how does the hair hold up like that? I'm still curious. What is it, glue? Wax?

Accessories made from human hair were popular in Victorian times and often made as a memento of a loved one using their hair. There is more information and some ideas of things to make on victorianmagazine.com

^
I was just going to say that. It used to be quite popular to use a small amount of hair from someone you knew, cared about it, loved, etc.

However I find it quite grim to use human hair in large quantities. Often sourcing is suspect and in my opinion, esp. when for ornamental purposes, there is no need to use real human hair versus a good synthetic. I also find the mixture of human hair and teeth together too much. All I can think of is the holocaust I'm afraid

Although I'm sure it could be done nicely, the above examples are not beautiful.

I think there needs to be a very good visible significance to using real hair as opposed to synthetics, and in the above examples there's nothing much beyond the superficially intellectual "wow, it's real" factor.

However the teeth in the photos are a bit gruesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->