Acid wash & other jean washes.

Susanna-Cole

Reaction score
Sometimes I find a pair of jeans that fit great, but I don't like the wash on them. Anyone know much about acid washing jeans, or doing various washes on them to get different effects? Anyone tried doing a different wash on your jeans at home? :flower:

I saw a tutorial on bleaching t-shirts.... maybe it will help... you simply fill a spray bottle( you know you can buy them or just wash out one from your cleaning products) with bleach, and spray from a distance... about 50 cm....

To get the worn effect you can also take bleach on a kitchen scrub and just drag it down the leg to create the distressed highlight-effect.

Thanks Anditgoeson, and ElectricAlyce! :flower: :heart: I think I might tray the kitchen srub, since I'll have a little more control in where the bleach goes, as I don't want the shorts completely bleached. :wink: But I'm not positive I want to bleach them...I'm also thinking of maybe trying to do a dark wash, I really can't make up my mind! :P I guess I could do one and then the other. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a pair of pants with the kitchen scrub and it works great and you get control over where you want it, so you don't risk a bleached floor :P Spray works if you want the splatter-effect though, but I'd reccomend maybe doing it outside. You could also keep a spray-bottle with vinegar at hand since it neutralizes bleach.

!!!! ^ :shock: Do not mix vinegar with bleach! It creates a toxic gas
You could die/get sick

:ninja:

To neutralise bleach, you can use sodium metabisulphate
You can order it from Prochem or I read it can be bought at wine-making shops

There are other products like Bleach Stop and other things

well i did acid before. I bought some chlorinated bleachers from a Turkish shop. Went outside, because the first time i did it in my room and got a real headache.^^ sometimes you have to put some extra water. but usually you just have to put it on your jeans. Mine
IMG_1638.jpg

but dont try mineral washing (like those ones from aa) i failed desperatly...you just destroy your jeans insted of bleaching them

!!!! ^ :shock: Do not mix vinegar with bleach! It creates a toxic gas
You could die/get sick

:ninja:

To neutralise bleach, you can use sodium metabisulphate
You can order it from Prochem or I read it can be bought at wine-making shops

There are other products like Bleach Stop and other things

Thanks for the heads up :o I've seen some DIY sites that reccomend vinegar, and upon searching from it some debate around the subject, but if I try vinegar then I'll wear a gas mask and goggles (very post-apocalyptic cybergoth, non?) :lol:

yes :D that's what i do actually whenever I work with smelly or dusty things.. minus the goggles, but i heard it's good to wear them anyway

i think maybe what you read was about a different kind of chemical, which bleaches also... Some use vinegar to neutralize, but it's a specific kind of product, not household bleach

i dye a lot of my jeans with Rit dye when I get tired of the finish or when it fades. It's about $2 compared to spending $40+ on new jeans. :smile:

Bleaching Denim - failure

So the other day - I bleached some denim shorts i made (from Levi Jeans ) and then i tred it with an old pair of (Miss 60) jeans and it didn't work... I'm confused why it worked with the Levis and ot with the miss 60's...
Does it make a differece on what brand denim is used ? Like how it has been previously treated ?!?!?!

I bleached mine by just pouring the thick bleach on the jeans. Make sure you do it near a vent, better outdoors because the fumes are crazy.

DSC00900.jpg

u just poured it on the jeans randomly???
and how s the drying process? do u wash them then dry them in the dryer??

^ after you get the desired look, you rinse out the bleach with water, then wash them as you would normally. (dont wash with anything else, unless you want that bleached as well! ^_^) and after just put them in the dryer!

make sure to wipe the dryer afterwards too... just in case

^
wow those look awesome! I'd rather them be skinnies though. :P

I did a diy post about bleaching a bunch of stuff, and it mostly turned out well... Just make sure you have windows open and take a break if you get dizzy!!
I hope it's okay to link to our own diy posts?

Also, when I did my I put them in the washer on cold with no detergent or anything, then in the dryer... They still smelled like bleach, but I figure it was best to do it that way, with no other non-bleached clothes first...

Good luck! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
no it's recommended you post the photos here ^
it is considered spam

..more info in the Rules (link at the bottom of the page)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->