Adapting a woman's look for a man (and vice versa)

BerlinRocks

Reaction score
ok ...
perhaps a similar thread does exist ?

whatever ...

just wanted to open this to have fun ... and coz i'm sure a lot of men are sometimes craving onto women looks and wonder how to adopt this into a male wardrobe ...

it's NOT about cross-dressing, travestite etc.

post your wishes and people will help you ...

if this thread isn't living a long time. i wouldn't be surprised ...

Have FUN !:wacko:

berlin ,i'm curious what you would choose ^^

well ...
my problem with my own idea ... is that i feel it comes with good intentions BUT seems way too hard to realize !

like i'm currently in love with a look of Rihanna (definitely not ashamed !) in her clip Rehab ... she's wearing a white jacket (pretty well constructed, purpose to be worn on a woman body) + 50s sunglasses and Chanel pearl earings ... + black lingerie and white high heels (louboutin ?) ...

How would someone transform the attitude and spirit this outfit smell for a man ?
ok forget the lingerie ... but the look needs the sexyness feeling ... the earings and sunglasses are a strong part of my love for this look ... how would i make possible on a man ?

I would love to know and will applaud forever the person who would suggest anything !

* i guess something easier would more appropriate for a first post * :wacko::ermm:

GlamourVanity.com via Libra Skye18

Attachments

• rihannalyinginstockings.jpg
    rihannalyinginstockings.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 8
White jacket, white shades, red shoes ... is that a Lucite bangle? Perhaps you could find a chunky watch? You could do a black silk T under the white jacket ...

i have to agree with the black silk under the white jacket.. maybe sexier if it is sheer. and the jacket might be quite open, a large and deep v-neck

for some reason i feel like i have seen guys in this style but i don't know where from.. probably the 80s, 90s? music scene.. even japanese animated films. also i can imagine david bowie in this

geez !
great ideas !
* so i have to applaud all my life ? oops ... *

though i'm not really into silk T ... would go for a black silk shirt (and sheer is nice idea, too, gius !) ...

oh no ... don't tell i would look like Bowie ... ! (i like him, but not my style, at all !)

what sort of pants, by the way ?
brut jeans is enough and nice ?

are you after a look that's quite masculine (ie. armani type) or you want to be closer to androgynous.. it's interesting you want to add the earring. i think those diamond ones are nice, i'm not sure if it's diamond..but it's sparkly and it's like crystal. i really have this vague memory of a man with a pearl or some other large earring, just one ear, but i can't remember where...and it was an oval shape and hung from the ear. not as big as this, but you get the idea:
marni_earrings2.jpg

it was quite stylish. and he must have had hair like rihanna's here, and it was black black. i sort of connect the look with what i see in some japanese comics geared for more adult audiences. the art style. something sinister usually, the topic.. ghosts, vampires, things like that
24fmyk5.jpg

es.geocities.com/eiga9 | i.pinger.pl/pgr464
fashionfashoff has this kind of avatar, but i think it's from a different artist. this one is by akimi yoshida

are you after a look that's quite masculine (ie. armani type) or you want to be closer to androgynous.. it's interesting you want to add the earring.

what made you think i wanted the earings ?
NO !

I want something close to masculine !
definitely not the androgyne type !

you said this :lol:
... the earings and sunglasses are a strong part of my love for this look ... how would i make possible on a man ?
in that case forget everything i said about the earrings and japanese horror comics @_@

i've seen it in some old ads from the 90s.. i'll check.. it was a white jacket with a black shirt and worn with either white pants or tighter black pants.
but yeah denim is nice

Last edited by a moderator:
^oh yeah ....

well no i don't want earings ...
though i know i have a picture of some magazine (a man of profile) where a man is wearing earings and it's amazing ... but it's a fashion shot ... and i'm not sure it would be cool on me ...

('ll try to find it back ...)

geez !
great ideas !
* so i have to applaud all my life ? oops ... *

though i'm not really into silk T ... would go for a black silk shirt (and sheer is nice idea, too, gius !) ...

oh no ... don't tell i would look like Bowie ... ! (i like him, but not my style, at all !)

what sort of pants, by the way ?
brut jeans is enough and nice ?

Black jeans? White jeans?

I Love this thread idea! I spend all my time looking at women's clothes and looks between here and work, sometimes I'm so jealous of all the stuff they can wear, especially cos I have access to some amazing women's pieces/collections with my job, so would love to see how to adapt different looks to a more masculine perspective. Love the advice already given :D

one thing that bothers me^ is being restricted to trousers or shorts.. and i don't really wear shorts unless i'm at home. that's another idea if anyone has any suggestions! :zorro:

BR how about slicking the hair back
the black shirt underneath can also have a boat neck (wider than in this picture) or scoop neck. gucci s/s '06 has more ideas for the neck and fabrics here
r08tmt.jpg

men.style.com
i couldn't find the ads/pictures i was talking about in my computer..

Just saw something interesting on fashionista about this very topic!

Ever since the dawn of feminism women have been adopting menswear pieces into their wardrobes and looking cute doing so. From the inevitable menswear spreads in the September sssues of magazines to the Jean Paul Gaultier ads featuring Raquel Zimmerman in woman and man form, women in men’s clothing has become the social norm and not the least bit shocking. Isn’t every woman’s favorite “morning-at-boyfriend’s-apartment” activity going through his wardrobe and snagging a few shirts and sweaters?
But a man in a skirt or hot pants? Likely to get stares and glares. The Telegraph recently published a story about “Girlfriend Dressing” featuring pictures of Jamie Hince in what seems to be girlfriend Kate Moss’ short shorts and fitted blazer. I can’t blame him; who wouldn’t want to play dress-up in Kate Moss’ wardrobe? In all seriousness, though, why can’t men in women’s clothing be taken seriously the way women in men’s clothing can?
Almost every time a man is featured in women’s clothing in a fashion mag, there’s always a kitschy undertone or a bit of camp (not that we don’t love those Cole Mohr Marc by MJ ads). Marc Jacobs has been sporting a skirt for quite a while now and I’m totally into it, and no one looks better in Balenciaga capes than Andre Leon Talley, but why can’t more men feel comfortable in at least some women’s items? I think there’s no problem with a boy in a lady’s cardigan or short shorts (if you’ve got it flaunt it), but the outside world seems to disagree.
What about you?

fashionista.com

it doesn't look good when it's copy+pasted ?

ETA: i see.. the whole site gets highlighted when you copy
i just copy the article text and then right-click the picture to get the link and post here...

telegraph.co.uk
***edited*** Notice from copuright holder to remove content.
Crossing a style line: (from left) Mark Ronson, Jamie Hince, Jason Statham Photo: REX FEATURES, PA

Little is more British than a man in drag. If we had a national dress, it would be just that. From stags in suspenders to pantomime dames, most British men would happily swap trousers for laughs. Bad drag is good fun. But raiding your girlfriend’s wardrobe without a fancy-dress party in sight? That is crossing a style line. Worryingly, though, “girlfriend fashion” is in danger of spiralling into a full-blown trend.
No man – or woman – can fail to wince at the pictures of Jamie Hince wearing what look like girlfriend Kate Moss’s denim hot pants in St Tropez recently. Hot pants are for svelte-bottomed Kylies, for size-zero Daisy Dukes, for Kate Moss. Only a certain kind of woman can carry them off – and they definitely should never be worn by men. Hince looks unnerved and unmanned. They’re so snug you can count the euros in his pocket. The artfully frayed hems are dangerously high. And, viewed from the back, he clearly has a girl’s bum. Not hot.
On top, he appears to be wearing a navy silk D&G jacket with white piping — from the women’s summer collection. Ironically, this garment is part of the whole “boyfriend fashion” trend, in which women wear clothes that appear to belong to a man (the “boyfriend cardigan” typifies this look), and it looks good. Even swamped by fabric, the effect is pleasingly tomboyish and cool. It suggests waking up after an unexpectedly hot date and getting dressed in whatever you find on the floor.
But it doesn’t work the other way around. Guys popping out to the shops or turning up to the office in girls’ clothing? Just plain wrong. Hince’s hot pants are unspeakable, and he’s wearing a jacket designed for a woman to look like she has borrowed something from a man. The gender lines are more blurred than Moss’s eyeliner after a night out.
It’s not the first time Hince has indulged in a spot of girlfriend dressing, either. Last year, he was snapped wearing a grey, two-button cardigan and Louis Vuitton Sprouse scarf that was still warm from Moss. Sadly, he’s not alone.
Last week, actor Jason Statham was seen with a clutch bag tucked under his arm. Statham, who is famous for his hard-man roles in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Crank, may have discovered his feminine side, but I wish he’d suppress it (although, to give him his due, the clutch was from ultra-chic label Bottega Veneta).
In New York last month, music producer Mark Ronson sported a big, Seventies-style plaid coat with a furry collar. It was more granny than girlfriend – but still a lady look.
Skinny jeans on men are one thing, but leggings? Step forward Russell Brand, who is rarely out of his Sass & Bide’s “Rats” leggings. Curiously, Brand can just about get away with it. Yes, they make him look like a spider, but that’s his look – the Elnetted backcombed mane, the borderline Liz Taylor mascara. Likewise for Noel Fielding. Maybe it’s a comedian thing: we need them to be funny – and leggings on men are certainly laughable.
Last year, Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo poured himself into a succession of increasingly tiny shorts. The microscopic satiny white numbers, for instance, were totally go-go dancer. At a press conference in Ireland, Ronaldo said: “I’m always trying to copy my family – my sisters and my mum – but it’s not possible: she’s more beautiful than me. But I try.” Maybe too hard.
So, why are men adopting this look? Perhaps we’re raiding ladies’ wardrobes out of sheer boredom. After all, men have fewer fashion options. Women have it all, plus accessories. That brings with it the agony of choice, but surely it’s better than the male monotony of trousers or jeans, T-shirt or shirt.
That’s not to condone it – unless you’re on a stag night or in a pantomime. In which case, ladies, hide your hot pants.

^^^ thanks christrinity ...

i like how they start this little paper, but then it (very) quickly goes onto the "bryanboy virus" ...
and that's not really what i want ...

i've worn clutches and women bags during the early 00s, so to me this is already old-fashioned (ahah !)
and it's no more about getting women outfits into menswear, but ADAPTING womens outfits for mens warderobe ...

what they say about Jamie is very funny - coz we've been talking about it in the Kate Moss thread during her St Tropez vacations ...
and I loved his silk blouse !

but perhaps it's easier to adapt a menswear warderobe for women ?
YSL perfectly managed into this challenge ! I mean ... women in his suits are gorgeous ! they wear masculine outfit (a suit) but manage to keep their strong feminity ...

why would it be difficult for men ?

^ Isn't Marc wearing kilts ... which are actually menswear?
absolutely ...
:innocent:

* i don't know if i'm understood ! :doh: *

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->