Advice about Starting & Promoting a Fashion Blog - See Post #1 for Thread Rules

Check out the content management features and publish your post at the same time each day.

Use unusual words and drop in some french fashion terms. Check your traffic to see where your readers are coming from. Think of phrases that your readers might google, especially new or unusual phrases. If your blog is new, test the unusual phrases to see if you come up near the top of the google list.

The trick is to get your readers to return. They need to see that you have 3 things they find interesting, interesting enough to check you out again. So make it easy for them to see your list of most popular past posts.

If I come back three times and your blog hasn't been updated in that time, I would delete the bookmark.

Also, if you set up google ads, you can tune the ads so they are something that people who read your site might want. You don't get the first check until the $$ adds up to at least $100. At least in fashion you have the advantage that your readers might click on ads more than for other subjects.

I've been blogging for years.. some free advice...

I think WordPress is probably the best platform. You also might consider doing it on your own web host so that you maintain control of your domain name, etc. - with blogger, if you leave, it's very hard to take your readers with you.

For promotion - work crosslinks with other blogs, get into industry rags and mags if you can, and write clearly and often.

My $0.02

I've been blogging for years.. some free advice...

I think WordPress is probably the best platform. You also might consider doing it on your own web host so that you maintain control of your domain name, etc. - with blogger, if you leave, it's very hard to take your readers with you.

For promotion - work crosslinks with other blogs, get into industry rags and mags if you can, and write clearly and often.

My $0.02
hi there, zigzaglens

What do you mean by industry rags and mags?
I found this website
http://ragsandmags.com/

Rags and Mags is a voyeuristic peek into the thoughts of two fictional characters as they work and play within the real fashion industry in Toronto, Canada. It is written by Carolyn Rohaly, and illustrated by Danielle Meder.

it seems liek the ammount of blogs these days makes it hard for people to gain visitors
im not looking for popularity or status with ym blog, i just want comments! some ads in the future would be nice so i can make some money
but my friend and me's blog was started about 5 motnhs ago
we only just received or first comment that wasnt by us
i was hesistationg to publicize it too early because of the lack of content
i dont even know if its a good one.
http://pradapeople.blogspot.com

To be honest with you blogs covering women's fashion have reached a level of saturation making it quite difficult for new actors on the scene to gain ground. What's most important is to niche yourself and not offer content which is too generic. I can't emphasis enough the importance of standing out. Self critisizim is very important as well, you need to ask your self "Is my blog any good?", "Why would anyone want to read my blog?", "Is it any different from all the other blogs?".

Having readers engage in your blog through comments is great and it's a pitty that you've just recently received your first one. But in the end comments are not what matter. The number of readers and the average time spend on your site tells the real story. If visistors keep coming back and the number of them is increasing exponentially then it clearly don't have anything to worry about. Number of readers and average tiem spent on the site indicates wether or not people find your site to be worth visisting.

Patience is crucial and unlike what most people want, overnight success doesn't happen. Although the idea of getting paid for ads and invitations to fashion shows is glamorous blogging is very hard work and takes a lot of dedication.

Is there anyone else here who has built their own site? Like me. I am dying to add a comments function but it's very difficult.

hi there, zigzaglens

What do you mean by industry rags and mags?
I found this website
http://ragsandmags.com/

Hi there - I'm sorry, I should not be using lingo - it's not very helpful. :blush:

What I meant was that you should try to get quoted, sourced, mentioned in relevant magazines in the space.

So, if you're writing about fashion, you should work to get your blog sourced or quoted by major fashion blogs or magazines or wires. The way to do this is by finding interesting uncovered news, writing your articles, then sending links to them to these magazines' editors and writers (don't spam - send individual notes to specific people for whom it is relevant.)

This will get you more readers, more credibility, more visibility, and will also help them do their jobs. It's win-win.

Good luck!

If possible, could anyone give me feedback on my blog?

All positive and negative points are welcome, as i'd really like to improve it (although my writing skills are not too great:innocent:)

hi guys
please use this thread , tFS Member Blogs for inquiring responses/comments / feedback etc.
Let's leave this thread for more specific issues on starting and promotions :lucky:

I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread... that's actually what I was looking for! thanks gius:blush::flower:

Hey i think this thread is about Fashion Blogging, so

Let me know what you guys think about cyanatrendland.com its my Online fashion Blog'Zine I work on it since 2 years and we have pretty good reviews for now...
Im as well on Wordpress and they definitely the best on the market

Attachments

• visualize.jpg
    visualize.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
Me and my friends did a fashion/pop culture blog..
the link is in my signature i jus would like 2 know what critques u guys hav
for it

im trying to get more readers to the blog
i think its ok..do you think having a good fashion
blog..colleges will read it and you can have
somewhat of a hw can i say this..a boost
on getting in?

I just moved the conversation about submitting stories to magazines to this thread.

i just started my blog at the beginning of the month, but i have yet to have more than a few views and comments. You can find the blog at: http://naturegrafitti.blogspot.com/.

Does anyone have any idea on things that could be changed or improved so as to draw in more visitors?

^A good way to start is to submit your blog and a few of your subpages to a few social networking sites like.

Definitely do:
Digg.com
Stumbleup.com

Also:
Del.icio.us
Kristy.com

Link to some other fashion blogs and exchange links with other fashion bloggers. And post your personal style photos on fashion spots and forums (like this one) w/ your url in your sig. Thats what everyone seems to be doing, lol.

Yeah ... we allow a link in your signature just like kimberwyn has.... just not in your posts. So, anyone who wants to know more about you and you blog ... they can always see it right there on every post you make at tFS.

I WOULD LOVE SOME INPUT ON MY FASHION BLOG:

WWW.STYLEAMMO.COM

WE'VE BEEN AROUND FOR SOME TIME NOW BUT IT SEEMS THAT WE ARE STUCK AT A STAND STILL WITH THE AMOUNT OF VIEWERS THAT COME TO THE SITE.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

THANK TFS

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user91036
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->