Alexander McQueen F/W 2000.01 Paris

aracic

Staff member
Reaction score
After the disgrace that was F/W 2020.21 collection, I think we all deserve a trip to twenty years ago, when this brand was run by a legend. Now this was fashion. Enjoy!

vogue

Alexander McQueen AW2000: “Eshu”

For his Fall 2000 show, entitled “Eshu” after the famous deity of Yoruba religion, McQueen drew inspiration from tribalism, and how it is adopted by ‘Western’ designers. He used the juxtaposition of traditional tribal elements such as the jewelry shown on the models above, with luxurious silks and hand-beaded creations. Lee McQueen was fascinated by the traditions of dressing in ancient African tribes, which he explained to Purple Fashion in Summer 2007: https://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http...lexander-mcqueen-aw2000-eshu-for-his-fall&m=1

“I try to push the silhouette. To change the silhouette is to change the thinking of how we look. What I do is look at ancient African tribes, and the way they dress. The rituals of how they dress…there is a lot of tribalism in the collections.”

Eshu was set in an industrial warehouse in Paris, and was his first showing at Paris Fashion Week (Eye, the collection previous to Eshu, had shown in New York). One of the most memorable pieces is the dress worn by Alek Wek in the first and second pictures above, made of horsehair and intricate yellow glass beading. The rawness of the horsehair contrasting against the couture elements of the beading create something entirely McQueen.

A little history from the wonderful and informative Long Live McQueen

Twenty years later and still timeless… :wub: I’m not sure I’ve ever seen this full collection (and certainly not the video coverage), thanks for sharing @aracic! Everything about this was so fun to take in. This is certain to stay with me for a long time…

His theatricality remains one of my favorite precedents in the industry. He really knew how to bring fashion to another level… And I can’t get over that venue, runway, and walkway leading to the main stage!

Side note: I love how casually everyone is dressed by today’s standards… except for Isabella Blow! :heart:D1D68BD5-8927-4223-8AD1-6A5BC76B2E35.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoutshonor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->