Alexander McQueen Mens S/S 11 Milan

Regardless of who designed this, I like it. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's very very cool. You'd feel cool wearing these clothes. They're summer with an edge. It's comfortable but not overtly loose and shapeless.

The first 6 looks or so are excellent. So strongly designed and executed. I love them. The rest is good, but i don't think it's quite as concise as the first handful of exits. And I'm so in love with those skinny trousers with the cargo pockets...I want a pair!

And I knew there would be a print...I knew it. I was dreading it, and here it is. And like I predicted, it's terrible, and in a way, I feel like it brings the collection down. Firstly, it bothers me that it's only shown in one look. Why bother?! The print really has nothing to do with any of the other looks, anyway. The collection would have been so much stronger without it. It would be a completely new, fresh start for the label (which I think is the only option it has), and I just feel like that ugly print is Sarah clinging to the past, trying to appease all those who obnoxiously killed themselves over Gaga and Bad Romance and Plato's Atlantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel so sorry for her. no matter what some people won't like this collection because it's not alexander mcqueen.

You know what, I was actually thinking that this is one of those rarest moments where people actually have positive attitude, are excited and hoping she'd do well. Every other designer change lately for any other house I can think of right now has been blasted even before they've showed anything.

I actually like this collection in terms of tailoring and silhouette but if she presents it as a runway show, it might have been a much better well-put collection.

I mean McQueen is gone, but the house, his love and life, is still here and it should be moved on. I think she did quite great job as her first complete collection. I'm really looking forward to seeing womenswear.

have to agree, im also impressed with this collection. i like what im seeing so far. its a very humble collection, almost bordering on being suppressed imo since she has obviously decided to do away with the runway theatricality that we have long associated with McQueen; i do feel that that might have been out of respect for his passing as she also decided not to make an appearance at the finale. however im very pleased to see that she kept the essential McQueen elements in this collection; the tailoring is very impeccable, the historicism is still present and as for wearability this gets an A+. i love her modern spin on 18th and early 19thcentury English clothing, and the various cuts with the trousers and pants are all very trendy B)

its just sad to realize that most people will still not be enticed by this collection as we're all missing McQueen's showmanship, and the fact that Sarah just opted for a presentation further reduces the whole thing :doh: but still it could've been worse, im still pleased with her taking over the brand, granted she is the only person who can rightly continue McQueen's aesthetic. i can only look forward to what she has install for womenswear :blush: let's all be positive, this is just the start ^_^

as far as an overall mcqueen collection, its on par with what i would expect from menswear. piece by piece it's still mcqueen. but the showmanship is missing from the presentation. there is just no excitement here.

if the lable is to be kept alive, they're going to have to step up a bit more. all eyes are going to be on her for the womenswear presentation. it needs to be huge.

will the brand actually go on without the head designer?

OMG! Bravo! I saw some prints and sharp sharp tailoring ... and as well, I see a departure ... actually this isnt a big change from what was seen from Lee .. it does seems like a continuation ... I love love some of the pants and the back jacket and most of the degrade pieces .... an "A" for Sarah! :claps:

I was really pulling for Sarah to own the McQueen mens label, because, let's be honest, no matter how great she is for the womens label, it will always be a pale comparison to when McQueen himself, was at the helm. But the menswear never really was strong like the womenswear, and here was Sarah's chance to bring an identity to the McQueen mens label. I thought it was more of the same old thing... really dislike the silhouette.

McQueen's best, most handsome, and flattering collection for men was his "The McQueensbury Way F/W 2009-10". The perfect mix of anglocentric tailoring and masculine silhouette mixed with a dark and brooding and menacing confidence was the epitome of my McQueen man and the potential for a defining look in mens high fashion. Wished Sarah had used that as the blueprint for her design direction.

As it is now, seems like she's courting the Yohji and Ann Demeulemeester man with this collection...

I agree with most everything you said, but I really want to stay on her side for a while yet. Just like Valentino's duo shouldn't be faulted for shoving Facchinetti out, Sarah just isn't meant to do this. This collection screams watered-down McQueen, but we shouldn't expect anything more from her: That's her job. If she started building a new vision, everyone would be in an uproar apparently, but unfortunately Gucci Group decided it's for the best to keep a dead brand alive. (Sounds harsh, but if the founder's gone, why shouldn't the house go with it?) Looks like Sarah will have to stay in the master's shadow for a while, but I hope one day soon she can go off on her own and pursue her own vision. :flower:

ilaughead: You're absolutely right. And I'm also on Sarah's side, but also being critical-- not at all bashing her. After all, she was responsible for most of the output, women's and men's, even when McQueen was around.

Business and profits-margin aside, I hope the Gucci Group will eventually allow Sarah to create her vision for the McQueen man-- much like Christian Dior Men was a non-entity until Hedi came around and, not only transformed it into Dior Homme, but created a new definition of high fashion for men for this decade. Like yourself, I'm just hoping this may be the case with the Alexander McQueen label, instead of the samo samo. I'd love to see a new Phoenix rise from the flames-- an appropriate image in the spirit of Alexander McQueen.

If she started building a new vision, everyone would be in an uproar apparently, but unfortunately Gucci Group decided it's for the best to keep a dead brand alive. (Sounds harsh, but if the founder's gone, why shouldn't the house go with it?)

im quite positive that Sarah can take on the reigns for this brand and incorporate her own vision as well, given time. if dead brands werent given the chance to start over with a new designer i do think half of all these labels wont be here today. i do understand that McQueen is a special case since his brand was intensely personal, but fashion was never meant to be selfish, and here we have a new person who was under his tutelage, who worked with him right from the beginning and helped him achieve the genius of his collections. this is just the first collection, not even womenswear yet. lets just wait and see what she has in store for us :flower:

i really feel like this is the collection Sarah was supposed to do, she's staying true to the brand identity.. she isn't trying to be mcqueen here with silly show antics and she isn't pushing the label into a whole new direction either..

it's a good start where she can build on in the next couple seasons and slowly making the mcqueen label her own.

i hope she'll do the same with the womenswear label..

after seeing the video i really like the 'presentation' it's very simple but effective. and i LOVE the music

One of my friends told me about how great this was and I have to say I was quite impressed with this collection...

I don't think that's the original music, unfortunately. In the showstudio video, the finale song is "Pomp and Circumstance."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->