Alexander Wang F/W 2018.19 New York

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by TheoG, Feb 10, 2018.

1. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    vogue.com

2. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    vogue.com

3. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    vogue.com

4. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

I hate to say but I like it :ninja:
    I mean, he tried this time and put effort on it. Even that this early 00's thing is so predictable when we talk about AW I fell like this time he manage to bring the nostalgia without drown himself in it. This collection will please a lot his clientele and bring new costumers as well.
    Still AW, but I love that dress on look 3 and that outfit on Kaia, so, nice work Mr. Wang.

Great cast BTW.

5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I love the almost All Asian cast!

This is such a weird collection. It's not bad but it doesn't show any sign of progress from Alex and that is beyond strange.
    His way of doing the big shoulders thing is very 1997. His tailoring is not very remarkable either. He should focus more on a natural shoulder or a neo-natural one rather than what he tried to do with padding here. And that dress on Kaia is beyond unflattering.

The zipper detail is cool but he turned it into a gimmick. The tweed look as cheap as always and some of the details cheapened the look (like the lining on Vittoria's blazer's cuff).

It's a very Wang collection which is good thing in a city full of anonymous shows but he is quite stuck as a designer right now.
    I also see a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of Alaia in this collection: from the bras like the one on Binx puffer, the zipper thing on the skirt (which is quite obvious), the snakeskin, the studs and rivets...

The dress before vittoria could have been a vintage Alaia and of course what are maybe the best looks of this collection: the two flowy skirts looks in Post#2! SO ALAIA!!

But the thing is you can't reference something that is the highest level of quality if you are not prepared to elevate your quality standards and have a more sophisticated eye on details.

The end result is that Alex will not be missed at NYFW.
    Balenciaga was really the kiss of the death for him...

#5 Lola701, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited by moderator salis5: Feb 10, 2018
  6. ToniOrtega

ToniOrtega Member

It had massive potential, but the gimmicky parts just downgraded the whole thing. Still, i appreciate the strict tailoring here, even if it's far from the best. Some looks are also quite Versace and Alaia to me.

On the other hand, the shoes are horrendous! Like the monstrosity of a pair Anna Ewers is wearing!

7. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Active Member

This collection is a perfect example of how little he's grown as a designer, this is uncohesive, lots of ideas seem thrown in just for the sake of it, the construction is not that special and I do not get the sense that this clothes are somehow unique or luxurious. The leather tailoring is not as sleek as I would have expected. The looks with the big shouldepads are gimmicky and amateurish looking. I only liked the cocktail dresses even though they are not that memorable.

I am sure some members will argue that this brand has never attempted to be specially groundbreaking or cutting edge, but I am sure he can do better than this. This is just lazy and riding on Vaccarello's coattails.

#7 YohjiAddict, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited by moderator magnes: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

It's not new but I still kinda like it. I don't like those few sporty looks in the middle nor those sunglasses but the rest is alright. I don't mind if it looks like Alaia or Versace.

I guess the styling was OK too.. usually it's messier than this.

9. Fashionstuff

Fashionstuff http://fashionworldstuff.

So bad it is not but nothing new.
    And i agree with YohjiAddict , there is nothing unique or luxurios. Nothing exciting, it is simply to see and to forget.
    The next similar from NYFW ,please.

10. gossiping

gossiping Well-Known Member

i really like the sporty section with the track pants and a couple of the black mini pleated dresses in the middle! not a bad collection , honestly this brand is one of the only decent ones in NY and now it's going to become even more of a non-event when he's gone

11. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Well,aat least there was an attempt of designing a fashion collection, unlike the last couple of seasons, so that's a good thing. As it's always the case with him, the styling, hair/makeup, casting, show production elevates his clothes a lot, it's really well put together. But when you really look at the clothes, they're very contrived, very literal, and almost amateurish.

12. chanelh

chanelh Active Member

add some feather and crystal, here you go, a new season Saint Laurent collection

13. lelaid

lelaid Well-Known Member

I loved this collection, one of his best in years.

14. Nitroxyl

Nitroxyl New Member

I wonder if he'll ever step out of his comfort zone. I do find some of the designs pretty, even though they are very boring.

15. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie, folks. This is, at least for me, an improvement. It's not good enough obviously, but compared to those horrendous collections from two years ago that looked like Topshop, it's quite refreshing for him. Kris looked really nice on the show.

I think he lost his confidence after the Balenciaga fiasco. And even when I never was a supporter of Alexander Wang, I admit that he used to be riskier back in the days.

16. StoneSkipper

StoneSkipper Well-Known Member

It's a thin offering, but I really dig the '90s retro-futuristic vibe.

17. Sensation

Sensation V.I.P.

It was much better than most of his recent collections.

18. ThatGuyPaul

ThatGuyPaul Member

Alyssa Vingan, Fashionista

Paul McLauchlan, Sanguine Style

19. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

If this wasn’t branded ALEXANDER WANG, I’d have easily thought it was just some mall-brand like Justice or the Junior department of any given mid-range department store trying to be down with the kidz, putting on a show at the local mall.

It’s painfully basic. Nevermind the tired trope of studs, spikes, zippers and faux-fur, but the construction alone looks like a Home Ec project; it’s so inexcusably wretched… And the Matrix-styling is unimaginatively juvenile. I’m convinced his team iare all 14yo interns.

I get that post-Balanciega, he’s resorting to the basics that made him famous. But even back then, there was a sleekness, even luxury-component to the hoodies and sweats that made you sort of secretly want those overpriced American Apparel knock-offs. This.. is generic mall trash.

20. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Original? No. Groundbreaking? No. Wearable? Yes. Predictable? Definitely. Improvement? A bit.

Wang was never a genius and never will be, that's a fact but at least the clothes are not ugly and I will give him a good point on that because now the fashion landscape is about giving us ugly looks ( plein, demna, off white, and so on).

The first part of the show is, imo, quite pleasant for my eyes. Few pieces are nice and will sell.

Wang reminds me of Zac Posen : same rise, same fall.