Alexander Wang leaving Balenciaga

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
PARIS —Nicolas Ghesquière, one of the most acclaimed French designers of his generation, is to leave Balenciaga, the brand he helped reinvent and catapult into fashion’s big leagues, WWD has learned.

The designer and the fashion house are citing a “joint decision to end their working relationship” effective Nov. 30.

Ghesquière has been creative director of Balenciaga since 1997.

The news of the separation comes only a month after Ghesquière staged one of the most acclaimed shows of the spring 2013 fashion season. (wwd)

NO!!!!!! I'm lost for words.

Holy cow, what a news to open the week... I wonder what's the reasoning of it.

WOW. I did not expect that at all. what a way to start the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. I'm so shocked. Did not see this coming at all. :shock: He was perfect for Balenciaga. Just look at the hundreds of "this looks like Balenciaga" comments in every collection thread on tFS, he has really made the brand his own and developed such a distinct look for the brand that has become so influential and popular, I can't imagine him getting replaced by anyone else, those are some huge shoes to fill :blink: I really wonder what his plans are for the future. This is so strange.

I have just read about it on twitter. OMG, cet est très triste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocking indeed!

And there are some questions unsolved such as Who will replace him? Why would he leave? We will see.

But still :ninja:

I'm going to call it. With Ghesquiere gone, Balenciaga will turn into the revolving door of designers that has become of Ungaro.

This is really sad. Whilst most of his recent collections left a lot to be desired, I did enjoy the feeling that he was evolving and trying something new with each collection. Not to mention how consistently brilliant he was between 2002-2006 in my eyes.

I hope that the new creative director (can you imagine if it's PS :lol:....of course it won't be) does manage to do justice to the brand.

Simply shocked by this, i mean in a year of so many upsets, we are ending it with THE major one!

Good for him, I hope this means he will be seeking an opportunity to design under his own name.

definitely takes me aback. i just wonder what he has up his sleeve? does he want to take a break from fashion? does he have another venture planned?

I literally said 'WHAT' out loud when reading the press release:

(not sure where it comes from, saw it on fb through a friend)

Attachments

• 155368_4769924048619_2120245381_n.jpeg
    155368_4769924048619_2120245381_n.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 136
I can't help but think of how he went back into Balenciaga's roots in his last collection. It was definitely one of my favourite collections from him.

I can't even think of another designer for Balenciaga, what terrible news !

the fashion world is slowly falling apart. In just a year there are so many changes within good and bad. In this case we have to account this new as a bad one because no one can do what Nicholas did for Balenciaga. );

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->