Alexander Wang S/S 2019 New York

He's lucky in the sense that he very quickly established his brand to be synonymous with streetwear. In that sense he'll always to some degree get the pass without even having to try, that is, while the streetwear trend is still relevant. But creatively Alexander Wang has lost his mojo some time back.
This collection is proof. Some nice pieces here and there, but this collection is weaker and lazier than most resort ones we've seen recently!

My first thought was "How does throwing a big Resort show make any financial sense for a small brand like Alexander Wang" but then I realized it's S/S and now I'm even more underwhelmed. It's all so incidental.

He needs to take a big break, travel the world, let his studio do the collections (nobody will see a difference) and comeback to see if he still has a voice because this is pointless.
He is as irrelevant as Shayne Oliver...

Whatever... I was happy with the previous collection but this one :rolleyes:

There is Louis Vuitton, there is Gucci but as usual there is no sign of Alexander. He is so lost. It looks like Balenciaga really killed him as designer. His previous collection wasnt bad but this....

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s all so painfully fashion-show-at-the-mall for the junior department of Macy’s-- or an even more basic H&M collab.

(The safety pin showpieces are sort of cute in that DIY kind of way, I guess…)

^ You're really blaming Balenciaga for his lack of aesthetics?
I don't Nocturnal meant to say that Balenciaga was the source of his lack of aesthetics, I think really what happened was his tenure at Balenciaga exposed him to be an incredibly weak designer. I never cared for his work, even prior to his appointment at Balenciaga, but he definitely had a following and a buzz and industry support. That all seems to have disappeared post-Balenciaga for Alex. I think it showed poor judgement on his part to take the job in the first place (I mean, I don't blame him, necessarily...but he should have known better that it wasn't a good fit for himself), and it showed that, once you take away the Downtown NY vibe out of his shows, there's really very little substance left to his work.

It's better seeing him go back to his very street roots...but ultimately, it's not fresh anymore. Plus, I think a lot of designers need to rethink how they do these shows now. The big productions feel very impersonal and more often than not, overblown in relation to the merit of the clothing. Wouldn't hurt to scale back.

Why is he showing his collection a year before people would (if they really wanted...) wear these clothes :wacko:? Moreover, why he is showing something straight out of 2001?

Very Ja Rule circa 'Between Me and You' meets Bret Michaels designs for Helmut Lang diffusion line IMO!

While it's not fashion forward or chic it works for his brand. Based on who is customer is I would say that it's a success.

GivenchyAddict's avatar with Mert looking like a swollen frog was the most interesting thing to appear on this thread...lazy crap from irrelevant hacks serves as the perfect description for Wang and his NYC contemporaries.

It's certainly not a great effort in design, but I will probably always, always take Alexander Wang over J.W. Anderson, any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->