Alexi McCammond Appointed Editor in Chief of Teen Vogue *Update* Parts Ways with Condé Nast

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ Common sense has no logic in this appointment LOL She has the right look and right image that will get the kidz following the CN pied piper. Same reason that that Margaret person was appointed EIC at Vogue China.

(Their teams will be picking up their slack and be doing the heavy lifting.)

I have to say I'm really quite shocked and disappointed in how the mostly liberal press are reporting on this? I expected them to keep the same outrage energy they have when it's someone from the other side. Yet with this girl the consensus seems to be 'ugh, it happened years ago when she was young, get over it TeenVogue staffers'. Despicable!

I have to say I'm really quite shocked and disappointed in how the mostly liberal press are reporting on this? I expected them to keep the same outrage energy they have when it's someone from the other side. Yet with this girl the consensus seems to be 'ugh, it happened years ago when she was young, get over it TeenVogue staffers'. Despicable!

It's incredibly disappointing. All these excuses of, she was 'young'. Children as old as 5 know the difference between right and wrong, and making fun of others based on ethnicity, race...there's no blurred line of when it might be acceptable. It's not. She was 17 when she wrote those tweets; plenty old enough to know better. I refuse to believe that most teens have racist or homophobic thoughts and tweeting such awful messages is like a rite of passage everyone goes through to be a better person and adult. CN's released statement comes across as dismissive to Teen Vogue staffers, with the bottom line being, 'we don't care what your background is or how hard it was for you to read those tweets from your incoming EIC. We've accepted her apology, so all of you should too.'

Really? I actually have seen quite a few posts calling for her termination. I haven't seen anyone defending her at all. If this is true, that's gross. Yes, it happened 10 years ago, yes people deserve second chances... but rewarding them with a position like this seems undeserving.

It was only a matter of time. I predict she'll resign or they'll let her go.

Via Firstpost:

Teen Vogue: Ulta Beauty pauses ad spending following outcry against newly appointed editor-in-chief, Alexi McCammond

McCammond, 27, was a noted political journalist before Conde Nast announced earlier this month she’ll replace Lindsay Peoples Wagner at digital-only Teen Vogue. Soon after the announcement, since-deleted tweets stretching back to 2011, when McCammond was in college, resurfaced, including several using racist and homophobic stereotypes.

The Associated Press March 13, 2021 13:15:28 IST

Teen Vogue's newly appointed editor-in-chief, Alexi McCammond. Image via Twitter@TeenVogue

New York: A major advertiser at Teen Vogue, the retailer Ulta Beauty, has paused ad spending at the Conde Nast publication amid a growing outcry over anti-Asian tweets by the site’s new editor in chief, Alexi McCammond.

“Diversity and inclusion have always been core values at Ulta Beauty,” a company spokeswoman said in a statement Thursday. “We stand against racism in all forms and as we’ve publicly shared in our social channels, we stand in unity with the AAPI community. We believe it’s important that our partners share our values. Our discussions with Conde Nast are actively underway as we seek to better understand their next steps and determine ours.”

McCammond, 27, was a noted political journalist before Conde Nast announced earlier this month she’ll replace Lindsay Peoples Wagner at digital-only Teen Vogue. Soon after the announcement, since-deleted tweets stretching back to 2011, when McCammond was in college, resurfaced, including several using racist and homophobic stereotypes. McCammond is Black.

While Teen Vogue has stood by McCammond’s appointment, detractors have spoken out on social media and McCammond has apologized. More than 20 staff members at Teen Vogue posted a statement on 8 March saying they’ve written management in support of readers and others alarmed by the tweets, noting that they come at a time of “historically high anti-Asian violence and amid the ongoing struggles of the LGBTQ community.”

McCammond had worked for Axios and was an on-air contributor for MSNBC. In her latest apology, posted on social media, she said: “This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life, in large part because of the intense pain I know my words and my announcement have caused so many of you. ... I’ve apologized for my past racist and homophobic tweets and will reiterate that there’s no excuse for perpetuating those awful stereotypes in any way.”

The tweets first surfaced in 2019, when she said she was “deeply sorry” and that the posts “do not reflect my views or who I am today.”

A spokeswoman for Teen Vogue did not immediately respond to an email request for comment on 11 March.

Ulta Beauty’s ad pause was first reported by The Daily Beast.

The company has had problems of its own. It has faced accusations of racial profiling of customers in stores and criticism over a lack of diversity in brands it carries. The company recently hired actor and fashion icon Tracee Ellis Ross as a diversity and inclusion adviser as it has started to implement a broader initiative on those fronts. Those steps include a promise to double the number of Black-owned brands available on their shelves and a $20 million campaign to reach out to customers of color and other underrepresented groups.

Really? I actually have seen quite a few posts calling for her termination. I haven't seen anyone defending her at all. If this is true, that's gross. Yes, it happened 10 years ago, yes people deserve second chances... but rewarding them with a position like this seems undeserving.

See below, and Ana Kasparian is actually hyper liberal....

An extreme right wing publication posted an article about Alexi and unveiled a new tweet and a blogpost.
In 2011, she dressed up as a Native American for Halloween and in 2013 she wrote an article saying we should focus on “black on black racism”.

I personally don’t think the Halloween picture is terrible. But the blog post is awful and I think it’s not a statement that people at teen Vogue agree with.

EXC: Teen Vogue's New Editor Alexi McCammond Ranted About "Blacks", Dressed as Native American.

An extreme right wing publication posted an article about Alexi and unveiled a new tweet and a blogpost.
In 2011, she dressed up as a Native American for Halloween and in 2013 she wrote an article saying we should focus on “black on black racism”.

I personally don’t think the Halloween picture is terrible. But the blog post is awful and I think it’s not a statement that people at teen Vogue agree with.

EXC: Teen Vogue's New Editor Alexi McCammond Ranted About "Blacks", Dressed as Native American.

I'm half Native American. While I can't speak for all of us, I personally give people a pass on dressing up as Native Americans prior to 2015 or so. A lot of social education has taken place since then.

Her article regarding Black on Black racism seems to be her personal experience with colorism within the Black community (which, as POC, we all know can have both negative and positive effects.)

Neither of these seem particularly bad to me. I think her anti-Asian tweets were far worse.

:sick::sick::sick: at the type of content on The National Pulse. Perfect example of freedom of speech being taken to the extreme.

CN will have to act soon because these stories are starting to stink to high heaven. And they should remember that they themselves don't exactly have a rosy rap sheet. Or maybe Alexi should do the right thing and resign. Who knows what else will be exposed? Don't be like a certain NY politician who's up to his eyeballs in scandals but won't step down.

Last edited:
LOL …So ridiculous. No doubt she was/is Regina George x Dionne Davenport (she even looks like Clueless-era Stacey Dash). Without knowing her personally, she comes off absolutely mean-spirited in the tweets— but not racist/homophobic. Her other “trespasses” that they’ve dug up are absolutely ridiculous in their accusations and this OTT PC-culture is just going to implode and end up with a new generation of extreme self-segregation/censorship, where a criticism/difference of opinion is the equivalent of take-your-pick-“ism” :sigh:

She serves as a warning to all the kidz that are looking to have a high-profile career: Start hardcore censoring/editing/proof-reading anything you do/post from the moment you create a SM account. Otherwise your opponents will take everything you do/say/post out of context to f*ck you up with it if you don’t.

LOL …So ridiculous.

she comes off absolutely mean-spirited in the tweets— but not racist/homophobic.

She serves as a warning to all the kidz that are looking to have a high-profile career: Start hardcore censoring/editing/proof-reading anything you do/post from the moment you create a SM account. Otherwise your opponents will take everything you do/say/post out of context to f*ck you up with it if you don’t.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pretty sure A LOT of people were offended by her tweets, myself as a gay man included.

It isn't for you to decide whether it's racist or homophobic, it's for the people who hurt. And yes, at this point, everyone should know by now to wipe their social media accounts clean if they are going to be in a public position.

Teen Vogue has transformed itself to fit a specific niche of content; an editor-in-chief with her tweets would have damaged the brand. Simple as that.

It's what she deserves, can't say I'm surprise. She only got herself to blame.

This just proved me one thing, that she is never important enough for CN protection. If not for this "drama", she gonna get sack for the next scandal that she cause anyway. This whole debacle is nothing, try Anna Wintour, she survived worse in 2020 (and get even more powerful, you have to give her that). One thing about corporate is they will do anything to keep you as long as you still being valuable to them.

Her "term" in a nutshell:
AppropriateIndelibleInganue-size_restricted.gif

Elf, New Line Cinema

I think it's important to note that Axios is not a "liberal" publication.

Interesting piece in the times here by Astead Wesley. He maintains that it was foolish for CN to not have staff buy-in on the EIC role and whom will fill it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pretty sure A LOT of people were offended by her tweets, myself as a gay man included.

It isn't for you to decide whether it's racist or homophobic, it's for the people who hurt. And yes, at this point, everyone should know by now to wipe their social media accounts clean if they are going to be in a public position.

Teen Vogue has transformed itself to fit a specific niche of content; an editor-in-chief with her tweets would have damaged the brand. Simple as that.

LOL It’s my posting: When I say she's not racist/homophobic, it’s my opinion: I'm not deciding for anybody-- unlike yourself. So please refrain from telling me how I should feel or decide. Should I always start with that stupid "IMHO" to ensure the confused are aware that it’s indeed In My Humble Opinion???

Yourself being a gay man and being offended by her tweets doesn’t prove she’s racist/homophobic. I don’t need to declare to anyone that I’m a gay Asian man when I post that her tweets aren't offensive to somehow validate my opinion.

I get the frustrations many Asians may feel for anti-Asian racism that is not only perpetuated by all people, but also the media by either not reporting it the same way that they would if it were anti-Black racism— or more blatantly endorsed by the entertainment/fashion industry by downplaying Asian representation— if they even bother to endorse any; like in Edward’s Vogue— where Asian presence is reduced to a forced token to him. But we’re all suppose to clap along cuz he’s so “revolutionary” to style Rihanna with a “do-rag” on the cover of Vogue. But Alexi is likely the wrong individual to take it out on because of her bratty past. And as much as I don’t like her for it, she’s being unfairly persecuted for her teenhood idiocy.

what did she say that was homophobic? i thought this was strictly about her racial comments?

idk if anyone noticed it's the liberal publications hand wringing just like Cuomo. embarassing. makes the right look correct about leftist hypocrisy.

As morbid as it is to say, I don’t think there’s any chance she’d have been forced to resign were it not for the Asian women getting murdered in Georgia this week. They were absolutely going to let this one blow over and then, suddenly, the optics of this relatively minor controversy became unbearable for Condé Nast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->