All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

Is it necessary for a stylist to have a car? I plan to move to NYC or London within the next two years to pursue freelance journalism and styling. Does it just depend on the city or should I learn to drive and invest in Zipcar?

You will be lugging around racks of clothes, steamers, bags, suitcases, shoes, and all your equipment, like tables and chairs for location shoots. Not all shoots will be in the city ... some will be out of town, on location ... the beach, the countryside, small towns, the mountains, and lakes, other cities. And sometimes they want you to transport a model or two, as well. So yeah ... a big car is essential.

In L.A., most stylists and hair and makeup artists have SUV's to carry all their stuff. I don't ... but I found a fairly large, 4 door sedan with a huge trunk that opens up all the way across the back seat so I can slide in my folding racks and a 6 foot table (which I actually need from time to time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you (so late) betteT for your last answer! I since then assisted the photographer on an other shooting and styled an other. :smile: i was told about it on a saturday for monday, so basically did my best to regroup clothes and sew some. And the day of, was kind of let loose in the deep end of the pool (in a way) had no one to give me advice and had not pre planned outfits really... But i got a hang of it, had a great time and it was just published in an online magazine.
I totally want to do it again, i've been thinking about this concept fornan editorial, but the photographer i know left paris for a few months... Do you guys think it's badly seen if the stylist/photographer is the same person? (im not a professional photographer, but ive been do some on the side and have a good idea of what im looking to capture here) And if not, is it harder to borrow clothes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Congrats on getting published on line! Must be exciting.

It's rare that a person can be effective as both stylist and photographer ... but it can be done. It just takes a lot of extra time. Because you have to deal with the clothes and also the technical stuff at the same time ... lighting, camera exposures, lenses, that sort of stuff. And, as a photographer, you don't have that "second eye" there to notice the details and to pop in to fix the wardrobe ... and you might miss it as you attention is on other things. It really takes a team to do great work.

I don't know if it's harder to borrow clothes or not. If you have been "commissioned" by a magazine or web site, your pull letter will work. But if you don't have a pull letter and are just doing a "spec" shoot, hoping to get it picked up by a magazine, then you need to impress them with your work as both a photographer and a stylist.

yes it was! :D especially since it went really fast :smile:

thank you! I didn't even think about the details I would miss taking the pictures. I guess I'll look for a photographer to help me out.

^What online magazine were you published in, Andrea? We just found out a couple of weeks ago that we are getting published as well! It's my first tears, it's an LA print mag. Exciting, but it's still an uphill battle to get more editorial work.

It's a magazine called peter, tom and dave. I posted a link to it in the tfs'stylist thread if you want to check it out. :wink:
Congratulations! I think it must be even more thrilling to get print work, since you get to hold your own copy in your hands and see it in glossy paper... :smile:

^I'll check it out for sure! I'm happy with either, online or print; we're trying to get our ideas accepted by a slew of online mags at the moment. They're super picky lol.

:D thanks, if ever you have yours up, I'd love to see it too ^_^
I know! A friend had an editorial he submitted for months and still nothing. :( Good luck with yours!

How much should I charge for a commercial job

Hi Fashionspotters,

I have a strange question to propose...

I've been working as a stylist for the last five years, mainly shooting fashion editorial, small advertising campaigns, web and catalogue. I've been supplementing my income via personal shopping/styling working with bands, personal clients etc..

I'm embarrassed to mention this, but I have been offered a job in (gulp) pageant styling! I will be working for the national pageant competition, not the individual girls, but all the girls, managing their looks. I've never done anything like this before, but am kind of excited, but I still need some advice.

How much would you charge for such a job?
What are some tips working in this industry?

Thank you!

xx

There are already several threads for stylists, so I will merge your thread into the main thread about becoming a stylist.

Don't know anything about pageant styling, but for this gig, working for the company that puts on the pageant, I would think that your rates would be about the same as any commercial gig ... your usual day rate for each day you work. So, you may want to check this thread, where we have talked a bit about day rates, etc.: Photographers / Stylists - about rates / fees

Very comprehensive and detailed listing of useful articles/threads! Kudos.

I have three suggestions
- seek an internship with the best professional stylist you can find. You learn more by assisting and learning on the job, than mere reading.
- make friends with photographers, they can be your best friends in building your portfolio
- get yourself a specialty in styling. e.g. aim to be really good at styling with styles.

Thank you for sharing, too. Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Hi all,

I would love to learn more about story lines or themes for portfolio test shoots. I'm a bit confused on carrying the story line throughout the photoshoot. Is the same model used and the outfits just change? How would you go about a lifestyle story shoot?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I would love to learn more about story lines or themes for portfolio test shoots. I'm a bit confused on carrying the story line throughout the photoshoot. Is the same model used and the outfits just change? How would you go about a lifestyle story shoot?

Thanks!

It's not necessarly the same model, but the same theme or look needs to be consistent. It's almost always a colaboration between the photographer and the stylist. First ... pick a location (essential for a "lifestyle" shoot) with the photographer, then decide what the model(s) would be doing at that location and how they would dress. For lifestyle, it needs to be sort of like real life ... only better. And lifestyle shoots usually have at least a couple of models working together in some of the shots ... mix it up. Examples of matching the "look: to the location: at a beach, you could do swimwear and casual fun things like shorts, etc. In a grand home, you might do hostess outfits ... maxi dresses, palazzo pants, etc. At a park ... maybe jeans and if you wanted it to look like fall, add sweaters and jackets.

If you were doing a more "editorial" story ... it's almost the opposite ... not real at all. You would think more about what they might do in Vogue ... and it's only limited by your imagination. You might put gowns on the beach, and swimsuits in a business office ... as long as you can make it look very dynamic. This requres a very strong photographer who can light dramatically and is good with angles.

To learn more, here are a couple of threads that might give some insight .. I don't remember what info is in each of these:
Shooting Stories for a Stylist's /Fashion Editor's Portfolio
About Your Portfolio and Testing, for Freelance Stylists, Hair/Makeup Artists etc.

I could really use some tips on promoting yourself as a personal stylist!

RE: Personal Stylist .... You need to have a very nice web site where they can see before and after photos. Interested parties need to see your work in order to trust that you can do the job ... so it needs to look very professional and the photos need to be top notch ... not snap shots.

Have a Zed/Comp card ... like models and makeup artists do ... to hand out at events, along with your business cards. Zed cards are about 5X7, showing 3 or 4 examples of your best work (photos by a pro photographer is best) ... usually 2 sided. It's like a mini portfolio that you care with you and give out. If you have an iPhone or iPad ... load your portfolio pics onto that too ... so you can show people.

I suggest ads in local papers with a link to your site. Networking can be very effective to get the word out. Join things like local women's clubs and business organizations ... where women who have to money to pay for this sort of thing would be attending. Figure out who your target client is ... and go to places where you can meet and network with them. Networking requires that they get to really know you and like you.

Here's a thread ... but not sure if Personal Styling has been mentioned in it.
Freelancers (Stylists, Makeup Artists, Photographers, etc.) - Marketing Yourself

thank you very much BetteT, you are the best person ever on tfs!
But I am a bit confused about before and after pics, I don't think I have ever seen them on any personal stylist's website. As all clients want to stay private usually, what do you do - headless shots? And do you do just one "after" shot in one outfit or several?

Thanks BetteT!
I read both threads you linked and it had good information, thanks. Quick question though, would I be able to use different locations for a story but have a theme with the looks or is it more same location as the theme with vastly different looks?

If you think it makes sense to have different locations then go for it. It's all about the "story" and whether or not it flows.

But my opinion about "different locations" is that if that is what you do, then it has to be a wide variety of locations that somehow relate in a story ... so a viewer can clearly see that it was on purpose ... not just random places.

And using just one location doesn't mean shooting with the same background ... you still will vary it to add interest.

For example, I've shot several times in an "industrial" area of Los Angeles .... one location ... but we had a choice of backgrounds that related to each other. We had many choices of what to use as backdrops: train tracks winding back through a series of old warehouses, the profile of a concrete factory in the background, a pile of cast off metal casings from ducting, chainlink fencing, old factory doors, loading docks, concrete and wood walls of those warehouses and multi paned factory windows .... all different but all relating to the fact that we were shooting warehouses in an urban, industrial area.

I think that a story with just the same "location" (meaning background) but using "vastly different looks" would be very hard to do and still make it interesting. You would have to explain (in the photos) why the models are wearing diverse types of looks in the same place ... not sure how you could pull that together and have it make a "story" .... but then, that is what a stylist does ... to make it cohesive and to make an interesting story. So ... who knows .... do it right and it could be brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->