All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

Thank you BetteT for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to repeat these things which I'm sure you get bored of, and most of it I am aware of already.
I guess I was just trying to figure out in my head how much I need to invest out of my own 'savings' in order to make sure that I even have enough to get myself started off with. I don't want to get stuck in then run out of money with nowhere to turn and have to start all over again a year down the line. I would rather hold on for a bit whilst I figure out out to get more 'funding' in place.
The trouble with comparing yourself as a stylist, to a small start-up business, is that a lot of small start-up businesses will get investors or a bank loan after proposing their business idea, which will cover the costs of renting out a space and marketing and hiring people etc until they break even and start making profit, from which the bank or investors can finally benefit. I'm not sure it would be so plausible to do this as a freelance stylist? Could be worth a shot, could get laughed out of the bank... :unsure:

Well .... it's more than having enough to get started ... you will continue this throughout your entire career. It never stops .... spending money for marketing.

And unfortunatlely, there's no "standard" amount to start up a styling business. So you are right ... not too likely an investor would like the numbers, which are too vague to determine the risk.

However, for an aspiring stylist, it's rather simple but hard to grasp: the more time and money you can pour into it and the more you get your name out there, the more likely you will get noticed by those who hire stylists and the sooner you have a chance of making any money at all. I would say allow at least two years minimum, before you even get a paid job. And one job does not make a career. So, you have to not only cover expenses for tests, editorials and marketing materials, you also have to support yourself with minimal or no income from styling gigs. Even after you get a few paid gigs, they only last a few days each, you still have to go out an find the next one so it's very slow going for a lot of years.

So ... what most stylists do to get started is to minimize personal explenses (live at home, if possible or with a group of roommates to make rent cheap) and have a flexible job or two, where they can get time off when needed for tests and gigs. Many stylists, models and other freelancers often get jobs like waiting tables, bartending (where you can usually get another server to cover for you and you can work evenings) and working for a temp agency so you can schedule yourself.

That's about all the advice I can offer .... suck it up and live in poverty, pouring every extra dime you get into it, while you strive to make a name for yourself. And keep testing even if you aren't doing anything else ... because you are still networking and learning your craft, so that you are prepared when that opportunity might come along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, fellow stylists! I would like to revive the thread again. Such a shame it's been dead for so long. It helped me the most when I started.

I wanted to ask you - do any of you have any tips for "pinning" the clothes? I mean when you are doing product shooting for a magazine, you e.g. have to "pin" the top (dress, pants, whatever) to a white wall and then photographer will shoot it. Don't you know if there is something like a tutorial or anything? I don't think it's that difficult, but I will do it soon, so I'd like to be prepared as much as I can :smile:.

Plus, it's a great opportunity to start the conversation again! Thanks in advance!

I interned at this place from november to january, where they sold clothes online. We shot them on models but also "packshots", I think what you're talking about. We never pinned them up, we used a slanted surface covered with the white paper they use in studios, and set the clothes as we wanted on it. (I think it might be easier than pining, but you need the space and stuff to "pile up" + a board to make the slanted surface)

I don't know if this is the right thread for my question but I was wondering what was the difference between stylist and creative director, if there is any?

Also I found this one job offer that qualified the title as iconographic stylist. Is it a job in itself or would it be more like they are looking for a stylist to take care of that one part of design when it's really just normally one of the assignments a regular stylist/designer would do?

Encountering these titles always makes me nervous to apply, because I'm never sure what they are/what the tasks are, and I end up not doing so... :-/

Yeah ... there is a difference. They do some of the same stuff, sometimes. But technically, it's two different responsibilities.

A stylist will usually work for a creative director, who would likely be responsible the final look of the whole shoot and dictate and approve the following: models, makeup, hair, sets, props, wardrobe, maybe even location. A creative director can also be the stylist or the photographer ( usual in small gigs or if that photog or stylist has been hired for his/her vision and has been put in charge). Most likely the creative director would work directly for the client and manage the whole team to get what the client wants.

Here is a thread about the job when a creative director works for a magazine:http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/education-job-creative-director-magazines-108617.html

Now I have no idea what an "iconographic stylist" is. Never heard that term before. I think they made the up. I would think that i might mean a stylist who has a strong personal style that can be easily identified ... or one who can create a specific "look" that would be considered "iconic".

hmm... I'm confused ^_^
I saw these two things which I don't fully understand:
- two people from my school now do styling, and they did a shooting together. They are both freelance, and one was listed as the stylist and the other as the creative director. Does that mean the creative director one was responsible for the direction of the shoot and the stylist one made the ideas happen?
- also I've been trying to figure out linkedIn, and many freelance stylists also list themselves as creative directors. Does a creative director have to be attached to a publication? How would that job position work as a freelance?

As for the iconographic stylist, the job was kind of described as the person doing the research for the designers of a brand. They supposedly have to look through the archives, compile images, etc I guess basically create a moodboard/the direction for the collection, but they don't actually design it. Is that something found in many houses/brands or is it a job divided into two (iconographic stylist + designer) and therefore specific to this house?

Is there such a job where you work on creating the direction of a collection or shootings (as in doing the research, making the moodboard, suggesting the visual identity etc) ? (is that what consulting is? )

(sorry for all these confused questions ^_^' )

- two people from my school now do styling, and they did a shooting together. They are both freelance, and one was listed as the stylist and the other as the creative director. Does that mean the creative director one was responsible for the direction of the shoot and the stylist one made the ideas happen?
Yep ... most likely that is how it worked. Director ... that means to give direction to others ....
- also I've been trying to figure out linkedIn, and many freelance stylists also list themselves as creative directors. Does a creative director have to be attached to a publication? How would that job position work as a freelance?
No ... you don't have to be attached to a publication. You can do this for a designer, a photographer, an advertiser, a store ... pretty much for anyone who wants to pay for the service of having someone create the look and feel of a shoot and direct the whole thing. . Any one can "call" themselves a "creative director" and some stylists might get paid to do either job, depending on what the job is. And some stylists think that a stylist IS a creative director ... and use the term very loosely ... but it's actually quite a bit different.

As for the iconographic stylist, the job was kind of described as the person doing the research for the designers of a brand. They supposedly have to look through the archives, compile images, etc I guess basically create a moodboard/the direction for the collection, but they don't actually design it. Is that something found in many houses/brands or is it a job divided into two (iconographic stylist + designer) and therefore specific to this house?
Thanks ... I had no idea, but that makes sense. To sort of provide a collection of images in the House's iconic look ... so the designer can use it for inspiration. It does not seem like a stylist, however ... more of a historian. But I guess it would take a stylist's "eye" to know what belongs and what doesn't.

Is there such a job where you work on creating the direction of a collection or shootings (as in doing the research, making the moodboard, suggesting the visual identity etc) ? (is that what consulting is? )
In big companies ... the direction and look of shoots are usually determined by the advertising and marketing staff and management (or ad and marketing companies are hired on contract to do this).

The creative director (if any) is usually instructed to work within those parameters. More of a supervisor and organizer, with a stylist's "eye" to make sure it's working the way management envisions it. So, it's more "direction" and not so much "creative" in situations like this.

"Consulting" has a very, very broad meaning. It's just advising a client in your area of expertise ... which can be anything. So, if you are paid to advise ... you are a consultant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->