All About Internships and Work Experience Placements #2

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by BetteT, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ohmyy

ohmyy New Member

does someone know of companies that offer long paid-internships for students? in europe?

2. myown

myown Active Member

^most of long-time internships are paid in germany.

3. ffashionist

ffashionist New Member

I have a lot of experience with internships since I live in Italy and with this financial crisis there are more internship offers than job openings. Anyway, last year I got a chance to work as an intern for 6 moths at Vogue Italia, in particular for Vogue.it website. Since I had some previous writing experience, the fashion editor of Vogue Italia allowed me to write articles for Talents channel, in particular for Eco Talents which is dedicated to eco-sustainable fashion which is one of my passions. I was very happy with the fact that after 6 months I had about 35 articles in my portfolio. On the other hand, I didn't get paid anything, even though I worked much more than all other interns whose job was just to upload articles on the website... I know that in most European countries - Austria, Germany, Spain included- internships by law have to be paid... Unfortunately this is not the case with Italy.

#63 ffashionist, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by moderator jeavitty: Dec 1, 2011
  4. CaoticaClaudia

CaoticaClaudia New Member

Hey, guys! At the moment, I am a Film and French student, second year, in the UK, with a major passion for fashion.Anyway, thepoint is that I am a fashion obsessed person and I'm planning to go for a career in fashion editing (hopefully, it will be more than just a plan :p).
    I am originally from Romania, and I just found out that they have summer internships at Elle Romania and Harper's Bazaar.Do you think that I should take this opportunity? I mean, would it count as a real work experience even if it's not London, Paris or NY? Thanks in advance :)

5. BetteT

BetteT Mod Squad Team Leader

Take anything you can get that is related. I agree with you ... it's still work experince so it counts ... but probably not as much as in a fashion city.

6. teaandtattoos

teaandtattoos New Member

I'll graduate from fashion design school this summer and want to do at least one internship in london (I'm from switzerland). My biggest question is who to contact? The press contact of the label or...? And is it fine to contact them via email or should I send in my portfolio?

My school isn't very helpful with these thing :(
    Also I found someone on the linkedin website who's an intern at one of my favorite designers. Is it rude to just message them asking if they can tell me how I can get an internship there too?

7. BetteT

I think asking anyone who has interned, anywhere, how they found the job, who they had to contact and so on, would be helpful to you. Asking someone you don't know to help you "get their job" (there may only be one internship, not many, you don't really know)... well ... I would suspect that they would not want to talk to you if you were going to compete with them. You will probably get a better response if you just say you are doing research about the best way to apply for internships and are asking people what the process was for them.

Secondly, I always suggest that you contact the headquarters of the company that you want to intern for and ask whoever answers the phone, if they take interns and if so, ask who would you need to conatct about that. Get a name, if you can ... it's always better to talk to someone directly. Then see if you can talk to that person, or at least, that person's assistant and ask for the procedure to apply. They should be able to tell you if they want portfolios or not, whether or not they take it via email, etc. They might have an online application form and instructions ... so you can also look for that on their corporate site.

I'm really suprised that your school ... if it's a fashion design school ... can't help you. I would think they'd have student advisors to help with these sort of things and usually they have a list of names for companies who take interns from thier school.

8. teaandtattoos

teaandtattoos New Member

thank you so much for your response!

well, I think my school would be more helpful if I'd want an internship in my country or germany. Most of the students don't want to go to other countries because they don't want to do unpaid internships (here and in germany most interns do get paid).

9. fashionandstyle1

fashionandstyle1 New Member

Hey guys- I have a question about receiving college credit for an internship. My dilemma is that I want to do an internship over the summer (hopefully a conde/hearst mag) but they require you to receive credit, which means I would need to pay $1400 tuition for a class because I go to a private school. So, my question is: is there anyway to just sign up for a community college course and get credit there, even though that's not where I'm enrolled full-time? Or is this not allowed? Thanks in advance.

10. BetteT

You would have to ask the community college (maybe a counselor?) if they have an internship program where you can get credit in any of their courses ... that's the only way you can know for sure.

11. fashionandstyle1

Yes I will definitely look into that and ask the cc directly. But I was wondering if anyone knew if the Conde or Hearst would not allow me to receive credit at a community college, since that's not where I actually go to school? Or is that not a problem?

12. BetteT

I would think that "college credit" means college credit. And, I don't think they care. It's more about labor laws anyway. In the U.S., technically they have to pay you if you don't get college credit ... so that is why they insist on that. So they don't have to pay minimum wage.

In addition, the schools usually have some sort of "internship class" if it's not credit for a regular class ... therefore you would actually be going to that school... anyway.

13. fashionandstyle1

Ok sounds good, thanks BetteT!

14. diorrnottwarr

diorrnottwarr New Member

I can't speak for Hearst but Conde requires that you receive college credit from any college or university, community college included. As long as you can provide all the appropriate signatures from the community college you'll be all set.

15. fashionandstyle1

16. Marine*

Marine* New Member

Hey guys! I'm studying in a business school and for my first internship I've received a positive response from Max Mara. I need your advices because I don't know the brand very well... Do you think it's a good step to work in the fashion industry?

A lot of students in my school don't really care about their internship, but I'm obsessed with it!

17. BetteT

Yes ... any internship is helpful. And if you want to get into fashion, it's essential to start to make connections with people who can refer you to job openings ... or actually hire you when you graduate.

But You didn't say what the internship was for ... what department.

For example, if you are studying business, are you looking into going into the business side of fashion? Retail management, marketing, merchandising? If so, working in the appropriate and corresponding department will be the most help. So ... if it's retail ... then working in a store assising the store manager would be very helpful. If you are going into fashion merchandising, then working with the merchandiser (usually at the home office) or at least one of their buyers or their visual merchandiser ( who usualy work under the merchandiser) would be very helpful. if you are wanting to get into fashon design ... then working in the design studio would work the best.

So it's less about which fashion company ... it's more about which department and who you will be working for that will determine how much the internship supports your career goals.

#77 BetteT, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by moderator Natasa: Jan 29, 2012
  18. Marine*

Marine* New Member

I'll be in the store, my tasks are to advise the customers and to support the manager. I guess it's retail management... But I hope to see more, that would help me to choose in what department I want to work.
    Thanks for your answer!

19. superbeautiful

superbeautiful New Member

Does anyone know of any magazines that offer paid internships for editorial layout/production in NYC? I am a current graphic design student in D.C right now and while a lot of internships in fields are unpaid, more and more graphic design internships are starting to become paid ones because of the nature of the work an intern does. I know there are paid internships here in D.C, but I'm wondering if there are any magazines that do the same in NYC, especially for the summer.

20. sidewalks

sidewalks New Member

Hey everyone! I plan to intern in NYC this summer, but I will have to commute from Philadelphia. I'm just wondering if this will hurt my chances of getting an internship and should I let the hiring manager know that I will be commuting? I'm graduating from college in May and plan to move to NYC next year. I just need to get my foot in the door.