All about PR = Public Relations

HYZE

Reaction score
working in fashion PR

Help! I've just secured a job interview for a fashion PR job, I've just graduated and have no experience in PR and what they are looking for.

To anyone who works in/knows anything about PR, I would be so grateful if you could pass on any interview tips or insider knowledge to give me a fighting chance! feel free to post or PM me :flower:

Thanks in advance!

Hyze, maybe this link will help you: http://www.hanovermass.com/education/career-in-public-relations.asp
As for my tasks in fashion PR, I write press releases, speech, interviews, articles, collection descriptions; I organize fashion (tv) shows, promoting next season’s collections and the brand's image. You have to be very dynamic, always in contact with people (media, clients etc) ... and you must like what you do, passion is the key ... :wink:

Thanks for the help. My interview is today! wish me luck..:flower:

Just curious to know if anyone out there is involved in PR. If so, how did you get into it and how do you like it?

I went to graduate school w/ a bunch of PR people.

Which direction are you heading towards? Corporate or Non-profit? :smile:

...PR is for the birds. I dabble in PR at my job and while it comes easy to me, it's hard pretending to like everyone besides I do not get paid enough to sacrifice my self respect.

PR is a really huge umbrella term that can apply to a million different parts of the industry. I find people generally refer to entertainment/fashion/party PR when they are talking about PR, as they are the most popular, but really most of the PR is corporate. You really can not support yourself on a fashion publicists salary, its almost as bad as fashion journalism (but not as interesting or fun). It is not incredibly difficult to crack into as it is such a big business, but its cut throat once you are in, the people are NAAAASTYYY.

^ Ya. This one chick, Heidi, wow, I totally underestimated her. She is pure evil and surprisingly clever.

Yup. I"ve worked in fashion public relations for the last four years. What would you like to know? :smile:

I've worked in a variety of different types of PR, mostly corporate events.

wow, I would like to know how do you guys get into the PR arena? it must be really interesting and amazing! God i love this forum! PR is my dream job!

i want to know... how are they nasty? what do they do? what does PR do anyway :huh:

gius said:
i want to know... how are they nasty? what do they do? what does PR do anyway :huh:

Well, there's lots of competition among the agencies, and very long hours. I interned at a teeny tiny boutique and worked until late at night sometimes, because we were working on events.

Working in the corporate world was a little better, as was working in PR for publishing.

I got into PR through school. I took a post-graduate program in communications. Other people get in via connections and/or interning.

^ Can you tell us a bit more about PR in publishing? Also what are some international publishing houses that take interns ie in China? thanks, any info is much appreciated.

I guess I'm curious about the PR people who represent socialites and fashion celeb types.

I follow the socialite scene somewhat closely and it seems that a few new girls (young and in college) pop out of nowhere wearing designer clothes and going to events and front row at fashion shows. I guess I'm curious about how PR works to take an obscure girl to that ind of level.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ You mean Tinsley Mortimer, the Traina sisters, Genevieve Jones and PARIS HILTON...Ya, those people are so dull in real life, they need PR people.

^trainas dont exactly need PR to get into fashion shows. Andre Leon Talley is their god-father...and I disagree that they are dull in real life, but the rest, yeah dull and horrible.

MJCouture said:
^trainas dont exactly need PR to get into fashion shows. Andre Leon Talley is their god-father...and I disagree that they are dull in real life, but the rest, yeah dull and horrible.
I didnt know that. I just thought b/c of thier mom, Danielle Steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->