All About Producing Fashion Shows ... Please read post #1 before posting.

ebowleg

Reaction score
Moderator's Note:

This thread is a place where you may discuss the ins and outs of producing your own Fashion Show... locations, production crew, set design, marketing, etc. ( for other types of fashion events, see below). tFS has a strict rule about not selling anything nor posting anything that might be self promotion, so please do not post the location or date of your show or your post will be deleted.

We have a separate thread for other types of Fashion Events, here.

Okay, I'm looking for replies on what it costs to put on a small intimate show, to what it costs to put on an haute couture production. If possible, give details (models, hairdressers, makeup artists, venue, etc.), links, pics. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image_83.jpg
    image_83.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
I remember back in 1998, American Vogue did a cost comparison on two very different couture shows: John Galliano's Pocahontas extravaganza for fall 1998 Dior Haute Couture and Josephus Thimister's pared-down presentation for Thimister Couture. The Dior show ended up costing over a million while the Thimister show was a slight $15,000.

I don't have exact costs on anything, I just thought it was a fun little idea that Vogue had.

Celebrities need to be bribed. However more prestigous shows attract celebrities of their own accord. Stuffy old Italian designers like Ferre have to have people bribed in though...Once you give one celebrity a bribe all the rest want one.

when/if i am a designer... i shall never bribe celebrities to coem to my shows... if they wonna come they come... :angry:
people i shall bribe are anna wintour.... :lol: j/k

They get bribed!!!! :o

And I thought they were there for the fashion :blush: :lol:

Originally posted by seditionary@Dec 30th, 2003 - 12:40 pm
when/if i am a designer... i shall never bribe celebrities to coem to my shows... if they wonna come they come... :angry:
Same here.

However, I am going to publicise it like hell and drop subtle hints here and there :wink:

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Dec 30th, 2003 - 11:44 am
I remember back in 1998, American Vogue did a cost comparison on two very different couture shows: John Galliano's Pocahontas extravaganza for fall 1998 Dior Haute Couture and Josephus Thimister's pared-down presentation for Thimister Couture. The Dior show ended up costing over a million while the Thimister show was a slight $15,000.

I don't have exact costs on anything, I just thought it was a fun little idea that Vogue had.
Over a million? Oh my word.

its really too much money, and it all depends on the kind of show the designer is putting up together
for the tiniest possible production -in Paris- one needs to count up:
*venue (from $3000+ for the smallest venue ever)
*PR (from $5000+ just for the co-ordination of show)
*lights&sound system ($4000+)
*production (chairs, backstage etc) ($3000+)
*backstage drinks and catering ($1500+ minimum)
*invitations ($1000+)
*models ($ 1000+ each if you just get new faces)
*hair&make up ($ 4000+ for something basic)
*dressers ($100+ minimum for each model)
*reception ($300+ for each 'host' to help guests to their seats)

of course most of designers arrange sponsorships but right now, budgets are quite tight, so..
one also needs to find an accomodating 'space' in the official calendar, if outside of the calendar one cannot be sure how many people will turn up, hence a 'stronger' PR office might be needed to take care of the show, which could easily bring PR costs to $10.000+.. and thats IF the good PR has time to take the designer on..

PR is very important, to bring in journalists and buyers.
Celebrity watching is not that important for Paris shows so i seriously dont think designers 'bribe' celebrities to attent (apart maybe for Valentino, Dior & Ungaro who love having them -celebrities- in their front rows)

3000 for a venu? no wonder people have it in their apartments

Lena that costs are for real BIGGGGG shows

you can really cut back on costs........eg......invitations 1000+ :doh: u can DEFINATELY make that down to 200

as for dressers......students JUMP at the chance to do it.......for free

sponsorship can really bring in the costs for running a show though :wink: like kodak and magazines and moet

To add (and I do mean add) comparison to Lena's breakdown of costs, here's the pricing for the Olympus Fashion Week (formerly Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week) venues at Bryant Park in NYC for A/W 2004 this February.

Originally posted by www.olympusfashionweek.com
For the Fall 2004 Collections, February 6-13, 2004, 7th on Sixth has redesigned the Bryant Park tents to include four venues, each with larger backstage areas and their own backstage entrance. The Tent, the largest venue is an all black space featuring a central or u-shaped runway. With a total capacity of 1250 with 106 or 218 front row seats depending upon the configuration, the Tent costs $42,000.00 and will house two shows per day. The Promenade is an all white space with a u-shaped runway. It seats over 800 with a total capacity of 1000, depending on the configuration, costs $36,000.00 and will house 2-3 shows daily. The Studio Noir is an all black space with a raised central runway. It seats 476 with a maximum capacity of 700, costs $26,000.00 and will house 3 shows daily. The Atelier is an all white space with a u-shaped runway. It seats 260 with a maximum capacity of 450, costs $16,500.00 and will house 3-4 shows daily.

I was about to say :o Because I want to do a benefit fashion show at school to raise money for the schoo, not lose. :blush: By the way, what's the normal height of a runway? :huh:

Originally posted by Salvatore@Jan 4th, 2004 - 6:23 pm
By the way, what's the normal height of a runway? :huh:

I can see where this is going. ChinaLove is going to post it's unfair that runways are too high and AlmostFamous will tell us no one admits what the true height is anyway.

:wink:

i think she means the height of the actual catwalk.....not the models :wink:

I mean the height of the actual runway and I'm a guy :wink: :lol:

Originally posted by Acid@Jan 4th, 2004 - 6:32 pm
i think she means the height of the actual catwalk.....not the models :wink:
I know. That, believe it or not, was my attempt at Sunday evening humor. :lol:

Originally posted by Acid@Jan 5th, 2004 - 1:47 am
Lena that costs are for real BIGGGGG shows

you can really cut back on costs........eg......invitations 1000+ :doh: u can DEFINATELY make that down to 200

as for dressers......students JUMP at the chance to do it.......for free

:shock: $200? printing invitations and POST COSTS?
are you kidding?
how many invitations do you plan to sent?
and to how many people? :rolleyes:
printing should be up to $400 for a real simple thing, so if you find this for cheaper, let me know aciiiid :P

i agree regarding dressers, but its always better to have profesional dressers that have done a show before :wink: anyway, this is the least important expense makes no huge difference, venue & PR is where most money goes .

the hight of the runway can vary from show to show salvatore, it can be anything you like but no more than 60-70cm high, best thing is to avoid a raised catwalk altogether :wink:

:lol: i dunno how much it costs to post a letter in greece or print for that,
but im certainly not planning any fancy schmancy invites for my shows......none of these leather boxes with scrolls inside like p.diddy :lol:

just something that tells u where and when :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->