All about Starting Your Own Label & Becoming a Fashion Designer... (SEE POST #1 FOR RELATED THREADS)

No, it’s a very pleasant city to live but I would not rec. it for it’s thriving fashion industry :ninja: but feel free to send a PM if you’d like to talk. What is your field & are you looking to freelance?

Amani,

I'll give you some interesting advice since I'm originally from Istanbul. I advise you to do a quick research on Turkish textile industry before you start trying it in Paris. Turkey is the no.1 manufacturer of high quality fabrics and we, Turks, have been manufacturing for any brand you could think of for over 20 years. So the quality is good here. If you visit a trade show in Europe, you'll be amazed to see that the majority of the factories and fabric companies are Turkish. To make it short, they don't have what you have but they have what you need here in Istanbul!

Europe is an old market and therefore it is tired.All you need in Paris is a young, trustable agent.. Good luck anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amani - I have often wondered what the fashion industry was like in Istanbul. I saw the magazine 34 which I liked very much! I have heard some rumours here and there, but I never got a home grown opinion.

If you don't mind I would like to PM you as I have some questions.

Cheers

34 is pretty cool its been put together in a very artistic way, i like it but ..
...the fashion scene in Turkey -as far as i know- is mainly big mass manufacturing in attractive (low) prices and huge quanities, i dont think it's the best place to start up a small/indie design company.. but then maybe i'm wrong.

You do exactly what you feel is right.
I don't like nor believe in any real rules to this industry, if you have the talent things will happen. Don't ever get discouraged.

I agree with evexa, there are so many possibilities open to those who truly want to succeed in their chosen avenue.

I am working on starting my own line as well and since there is someone who works with buying for boutiques in here I thought I would add my own questions, I hope you don't mind!

One thing I am specifically having trouble deciding is if it is better to have your garments produced in a factory (which would be cheaper than doing them myself) or if it is better to do it myself and have less items available but at a higher cost. I want to start with boutiques and so I am not sure if they prefer handmade garments or not.

Also when looking to buy from a new designer/line is cost a huge factor? For instance, do I need to wholesale my items at a lower cost then other lines of the same type/quality in order to be given a chance as an unknown line to the buyer?

Key Elements for Succeeding as a Designer in my own Business?

I was speaking to a few of the friends on the fashion spot and i thought about starting this thread.
THE QUESTION IS: LIST ALL THE ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS THAT YOU THINK ARE NECCESSARY FOR THE SUCCESS OF A DESIGNER'S CAREER/BUSINESS.

i HAVE MY OWN VIEWS ON THIS BUT I WILL SHARE THEM WITH YOU ALL AFTER I HAVE HEARD/READ A FEW OF YOU GUYS OWN VIEWS,

THANKS

ok heres my thoughts:

firstly a well thought out business plan, coz its very hard to be successful without one

a good accountant!

a consistent brand image

wearable clothes- its fine to do amazing couture type clothing, but its hard to sell and sustain a business on, simple pieces sell better

heaps of PR

marketing to the labels ideal customers

maintaining quality

if they dont know about the industry, have some good experienced employees

well there are my thoughts anyway, since im trying to start up a business, and am working for a start up designer.. (well shes been going for a bout 2 years) :flower:

remember that you're not only marketing your skills or talents, you're marketing your name. they work hand in hand.

i have to admit that i'm not an expert nor experienced in this but i'm sure there'll be much more better advice by the rest tfs'ers.

Financial backing.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the money to make and market it you will fail every time.

Please Help!Starting my own business

I was wondering if anybody could help me as I have NO experience on this what so ever.

I'm currently studying for a Marketing degree & I have to take a year out this year to work. After numerous interviews for Marketing jobs I was still unsuccessful, I even had some companies admit it was because I'm physically disabled. So I decided to give up working for others. After consulting my university I have been told I can do my own business. Basically my plan is to sell my lingerie ideas through boutiques/shops, I am doing it this way because I only have a year before I have to go back to Uni to do my final year of my degree, and I wont have time to do both.

Has anyone done something similar? Can anyone give me any advice? I can't decide whether to ask a manufacturer to produce me a prototype to show shops, or whether to attempt making my own. I have started a business plan, but I need to sort out finances. Does anyone know about particular sources of financial help?

I have just bought a book on making lingerie, so hopefully that'll give me more of an insight, and I will take out some books from my uni library on starting your own business. However I know sometimes books are not always helpful for what you need!

I am just a designer & I really don't have the first idea about making clothes so I would appreciate any help/advice. I really need to make this work to pass my degree, so please any comments would be appreciate.

I am working in England.

Many thanks,
George xxx

I was speaking to a few of the friends on the fashion spot and i thought about starting this thread.
THE QUESTION IS: LIST ALL THE ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS THAT YOU THINK ARE NECCESSARY FOR THE SUCCESS OF A DESIGNER'S CAREER/BUSINESS.

i HAVE MY OWN VIEWS ON THIS BUT I WILL SHARE THEM WITH YOU ALL AFTER I HAVE HEARD/READ A FEW OF YOU GUYS OWN VIEWS,

THANKS

apart from the usual
(business plan, financial backup, good sales manager, reliable suppliers, top class manufacturing, good PR etc)

*never giving up is VERY important

I was wondering if anybody could help me as I have NO experience on this what so ever.

I'm currently studying for a Marketing degree & I have to take a year out this year to work. After numerous interviews for Marketing jobs I was still unsuccessful, I even had some companies admit it was because I'm physically disabled. So I decided to give up working for others. After consulting my university I have been told I can do my own business. Basically my plan is to sell my lingerie ideas through boutiques/shops, I am doing it this way because I only have a year before I have to go back to Uni to do my final year of my degree, and I wont have time to do both.

Has anyone done something similar? Can anyone give me any advice? I can't decide whether to ask a manufacturer to produce me a prototype to show shops, or whether to attempt making my own. I have started a business plan, but I need to sort out finances. Does anyone know about particular sources of financial help?

I have just bought a book on making lingerie, so hopefully that'll give me more of an insight, and I will take out some books from my uni library on starting your own business. However I know sometimes books are not always helpful for what you need!

I am just a designer & I really don't have the first idea about making clothes so I would appreciate any help/advice. I really need to make this work to pass my degree, so please any comments would be appreciate.

I am working in England.

Many thanks,
George xxx

anyone? please.... :cry:

I think you really need to see your Uni about this. Financially it would be very difficult as i assume that the business would only be 'live' for a year before you go back to Uni for your final year. Do you have a good stock of garments already to sell? I suppose you could apply for credit to fund the idea but then you are putting yourself in a lot of debt for your final year. Would the money be used on things like materials for the products or would it be used for marketing/ overhead purposes.

I think its disgusting that companies have discriminated against you, and i really think that you need to speak to your Uni about that. Any good university should have a whole protfolio of companies to work for for your year out.

Although i think that in essence you have a good idea, but i'm not sure that it will logitsically work for one year. I also think that you would gain much more industry experience by working for a company. I would really suggest that you speak to your uni again and seek advice from them before taking a huge risk like this.

THANKS

Good networker

(or already having good connections)

be a likeable person!
you need the help and support of all the people around you, and if you cause rifts with important people in the industry, it will only backfire on you in the long term

if you dont like somebody or you disagree with what they think/say there are ways to avoid problems. remember you will NEVER get along with everybody

acid, i certainly hope mrs menkes has forgotten they way you spoke to her few seasons ago..
apart from the tiny erhhmmm ..reminder, i absolutely agree with your comment :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->