Alleged Balenciaga Store Racism Angers Chinese Consumers

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by dodencebt, Apr 26, 2018.

1. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

jingdaily.com

Balenciaga just posted this apology on social media:

[​IMG]
    twitter.com/balenciaga

So seemingly this incident happened yesterday and yet no mainstream fashion media outlet has posted about it, probably waiting for an explanation from both sides or perhaps after being advised by Kering.

The way I see it from the article and the video circulating social media, though, is that it was the mall's fault and not necessarily Balenciaga's. Although the person who wrote the initial post writes about how it's not the first time that they have been treated unfairly, so who knows.

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

You won't see it bandied about on mainstream press because nobody really cares about the gripes of Chinese consumers. They're just expected to buy, buy, buy, that is, when they're not supplying cheap labour. If this happened in a Western country (with the same murky claims in mind) I can assure you it would have spread like a wildfire all over the place.

I think there's wayway too much Sinophobia in general, especially in France. Yet on the flip side their brands are breaking its backs to throw more goods at them. So the way I see it, it's just resentment. It's also not much of a revelation that they're voicing discontent. The new breed of consumers definitely know how to leverage their spending potential to get the right treatment. And high time too.

#2 Benn98, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: Apr 27, 2018
  3. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Active Member

Good, I hope people take a stand and really let their wallets and purses do the talking. That is the only way these people will start to listen.

And I don't think it's specifically Chinese consumers - there is clear overt racism towards Asians in general. Like the incident on the plane (why did they target an Asian man to be asked to give up his seat?), Hollywood and TV depictions of Asian people (rarely leading roles, always supportive and always stereotypical) in this day and age when other races have been promoted out of such depictions. The list goes on. I've mentioned this in other posts here - whenever designers try to play the diversity card by saying they're including Asian models to somehow fulfill their diversity quota, it's always the white Asians (who are sometimes even paler than white models) who are shown on the runways. And very few people catch that it's still racist against Asians to have their "representation" be someone who's fairly pale and not really representative of Asia in general. At least in Brazil they force runways to include darker skinned models to be alongside the more Euro-looking ones.

So let the money do the talking because it seems to be the only way anybody will start taking Asian people seriously.

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

True! Magazine editors immediately comes to mind. Allure's Michelle Lee seems to be making waves with her 'woke' and 'diverse' cover subjects. But guess what, not one Asian covered the magazine under her reign so far. Bear in mind that she's Asian herself. You can't make it up.

There's just no push for Asian inclusion and you'd think there would be, what with them being the big spenders.

Now regarding the matter of colorism, I recall a Vogue China (or Vogue Australia/China?) image of a heavily tanned Liu Wen. And the Weibo commentary attached to it were disgusting. The pale skin ideal is still big business in Asia. And unlike duedue to contrary belief, it actually has very little to do with Eurocentricism.

5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Since when? Did i miss something? Where did you get that from?

6. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Agreed, I lived in France for three years and never noticed this. In Australia, however, the racism towards Asians (aka the only people who keep our economy and universities alive) is rife and disgusting.

7. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Yes. No fashion media posted it because no one cares about discrimination/racism towards Asians-- and this includes South Asians. That’s a simple truth.

Asians have always been discriminated against, bullied and mocked by every other people. One either learns to puts up with it or fight back since no one is going to stand up and support Asians anyway— and definitely not the media.

I’ve noticed that it’s Asians— and Asian women in particular, that are usually never supportive of my work professionally as an Asian. Maybe that’s the case with Allure’s Michelle. Is it self-sinophobia…? Hard to say: My impression is that like many in the industry, she’s just conveniently woke, meaning she's just going with the whole diversity (except Asians) and female-empowerment trend because that’s what sells at the moment. So Asians need to make an effort to be more understanding, more open-minded, more patient than they are ever shown— and more resourceful and stronger, in finding ways to make things work for them. That’s just the way it is. Asians will feel the sting of discrimination from all people— Black, White, Brown, Red, and even other Asians.

With this case, that particular store likely saw the hysterical, irate mother.son and sided with the others instead. Maybe they looked cooler than the mother/son..??? It’s the doorman mentality. Still racist on the part of that particular store— just not the blame of Balenciaga the brand as a whole in this case.

“High designer” sneakers are a total scam targeted at fashion victims, as well as will always attract the lowest of the lows hence the ghetto behaviour surrounding their launches. These triple S kicks are the nastiest pieces of garbage yet. I wouldn’t wear them if I were paid to do so. So vile.

8. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

they kind of lost me at "those Albanians" (sure they're not Romanians? or "The Turks"? :meow:)... but we all know racial profiling is only awful when it's your race.

That guy's trying to get on a serious issue of race and violence but somehow drifts like 'ok but I'm really pissed they did get the shoes!'... so what are you really upset about? is it about inequality and discrimination or the shoes you didn't get despite the "hard work" of lining up overnight for them?.. bottom line is, if you have to line up for a f*cking pair of obscenely priced SNEAKERS on a daily (!) basis, in a country where nobody has to line up for their weekly portion of milk and grains or medicines and in a world where people can't go to school because they can't even afford slippers or rope sandals, which are definitely needed to avoid blisters when crossing rivers and mountains in order to reach the nearest school (count China among these countries), connect the dots, question yourself a little.

101 of lining up for status objects (and I did this once, years ago, it was really the design but that thirst and competitiveness shouldn't get any sympathy.. ): tell yourself repeatedly "I'm the lowest form of humanity right now, I'm the lowest form of humanity, and if an earthquake happened right now, I would die and be remembered as someone that DIED for logos and potential ebay resales". Once you accept that and slowly approach the door and surprise, are treated like cattle, and a fight or stampede ensues, save yourself the shock and be thankful for that "what are you doing with your life?" call from the above.

9. Lola701

As a black woman, I can testify that the Asian community is one of the most respected and fairly treated community in the country. I wish Black and Arabian people were treated the same way all over the country, independently of their social background.

To be totally honest, racism is not that obvious here as it is in America for example (in our everyday life) and when it is, it’s generally toward blacks, arabians and Gitans.

But one thing is sure, parisians are fed-up with tourists and unfortunately, the Chinese, due to their number and the way they experiencing their tourism are the main victims of that. I know that a lot of Chinese people are traumatized after some of their visits in Paris but I don’t think that should be a reason to put a whole country in that box.

But yes, if you’re a Chinese tourist in a group of other tourists, walking around near the Boulevard Haussmann (where you have Printemps, Galeries Lafayette) there are little chances for you to have a «*great*» experience there.
    Paris is not a city adapted to this kind of mass tourism/shopping. During PFW it’s a real nightmare.

To me that controversy has more to do with people’s rudeness than racism. But I can’t dismiss the way the Chinese customer perceived it.
    Asian people are very polite and delicate and it can be tough to be at a city where everybody is kinda agressive and not patient at all. People take advantage of you...

10. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you and thank you Lola701.

Plus the problem happened in one of our department stores . The security does not belong to Balenciaga but to the concerned department store. So i don't understand why the blame i've been put on Balenciaga.

11. Lola701

^^
    It happened at the Balenciaga corner...

To be honest, if you’re in Paris and want top quality service as a tourist, the best way is to go at St Honoré or Avenue Montaigne. I can understand why some people (mainly local) may feel intimidated by having to go to the boutique and prefer to go to the department store but when you’re a tourist with a spending power, go where your treatment will be representative of the brand your purchasing at.

12. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

I've been in refugee food lines so this sort of queuing is tad offensive for my senbibilities to ever willingly participate in. Even as a social event, it's so ridiculously demented. Have you seen the outrageous queuing for utter garbage like Anti-Social Social Club and FOG collars/exclusives/premieres in LA????

It’s predominately kidz— cuz I can’t imagine anyone over the age of 25 doing this (unless I were so high and drunk) and not feeling like a complete sucker. And I definitely wouldn't subject my mum to such humiliation. Unless… it’s in Japan, and that’s where the 35-45yo male demographic are in full force for these sort of things; whether that be for denim, kicks or toys… Still ridiculous and insanely dignity-gauging, as far as I’m concerned (like lining up to get into a club): Queuing for and to then scramble and hoard overpriced stuff like monkeys being fed to be pointed at, laughed at by tourists. No thank you.

#12 Phuel, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited by moderator massina: Apr 27, 2018
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

This is just one of many examples. It really started years ago when French brands mistreated Asians for fear that they're only shopping to counterfeit the goods.

You or others may not 'see' it, or may feel that it's only centralised in Paris (which, quite frankly, doesn't justify anything), but that doesn't deny the fact that French fashion houses can do a little bit more to accommodate their key spenders.

Also, the Paris/French divide is pure semantics to the foreign observer. Splitting hairs, if you must. A Parisian is still French regardless of the cultural divide which exist in your country.

I think this situation highlighted a necessary debate. It's just a pity that the context of it all is so vapid.

Source: Frenchly.us

14. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

Amen! Excuse me, but i have take out the world’s smallest violin and sympathise. He could have lived with being roughed up at a luxury store queue, but not being allowed to buy those sneakers it’s simply unforgivable. The horror! The horror!
    Regardless he left me with a burning question that unfortunately i may never get the answer, how do I identify an Albanian?

#14 Les_Sucettes, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited by moderator optimusprime: Apr 27, 2018
  15. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

I want to sympathize but I just can´t. First, what does the brand has to do with a mall security guard mishandling a chinese person? Second, how did this guy know that the men were albanians? french albanians at that! so albanians cut in line? good to know, I´ll be on the lookout for albanians from now on! please, don´t play the racism card when your´re doing the same thing :rolleye:

16. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Have I... they block the entrance to my apartment no kidding. The first year I was so confused, it was DAYS with a freakin' row of folding chairs outside..

I'm not sure about assuming they gotta be tourists, they kind of sound like they live in Paris and probably just resell stuff online. Even the way of referring to these guys as the Albanians, that's advanced knowledge :lol:.. which brings me to a theory I've had for the longest time: every country has a haircut. That's how you identify an Albanian, if you know a few I guess- I know none but if you line up four blond men with masks, same height and weight in front of me, I swear to god I can tell exactly who's Russian, who's American, who's Brazilian and who's French. Haircut profiling, people.. :lol:

And yeah, I don't know about bonding with mom at such an event LOL.. plus didn't the French recently catch up with Black Friday ways? sounds like a recipe for disaster.

17. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more and from my own experience, I definitely believe that there is a strong racist culture in Australia. This is of course quite ironic considering we are a basically a country made up of immigrants if you look at our history.

#17 Nomar, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited by moderator leenalzaben: Apr 29, 2018
  18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Jesus, over Nutella????? Lol.

19. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

As an south east asian moving to Paris few years ago, I can understand both sentiments. I have had few incidents happened to be where some hurtful words were thrown but at the same time it's incomparable to ones I have witness towards to Blacks or Arabs. Many actually come from the French colonies, so go figure.

The problem about rudeness toward tourists should be counted separately because as I am living as a local here I can share such sentiment. But at the same time when I'm thinking about how Paris is the most visited city in the world. So it's about cultural differences and service minds too. If the rate of tourism declines, many businesses would be in trouble too. So it's about open-mindedness and how would you act towards tourists in general.

From this story, I see it that the first priority is the mall's security guard coming to calm the situation. The second is that the Balenciaga should intervene because they were cutting line to buy their products at their corner which they profit of. But from my own experience, I hate shopping at places on Boulevard Haussmann because they are just too many people. Though the rudeness I have experienced at luxury stores happened everywhere. One belongs to Kering brand.

Social profiling and unconscious racism have to do a lot with cultural exposure. In many countries people are less exposed to the idea of racism or world history or political correctness. I am not saying it is or isn't at someone's fault. But education and open discussion is the best solution for any problem.

20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the 'but x racial group has it worse than y.' I'm not specically aiming this at you, Taylor.
    The crux of this discussion didn't really address Black people or Arabs. To compare their experience against that of Asians inadvertently minimises the discrimination levied at Asians. It's a perfect example of whataboutery. The only reason why discrimination against Asians are underrated (for want of a better word) is because it's not really considered newsworthy enough. Maybe we should do a bit of self reflection as to why we're so desentisized against reports of Asian discrimination before actually trying to combat it.

#20 Benn98, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: Apr 29, 2018