Allure April 2018 : Adwoa Aboah by Daniel Jackson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by serendipity8777, Mar 14, 2018.

1. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    kevinkkelly1 on ebay

2. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Adwoa is no Mariah Carey, but how come like Mariah, she has the same face on each and every editorial she has. She looks the same always.

3. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

Because we’re an the Era of Mica and Fernanda Ly and every other model that never looks any different in any editorial. Linda they are not.

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Sigh, I'm so fed up with this girl everywhere! She's got about as much range as that beige backdrop.

5. jal718

jal718 Active Member

Hideous but now the norm for Allure

6. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

I'm crying for what this magazine has become. It used to be so fun and lively. It had a great mix of fashion and beauty. The new EIC has really sucked all the joy out of it. I used to subscribe to this magazine and I really enjoyed reading it. I have a feeling that it's days are numbered.

7. Zposen

Zposen Well-Known Member

She actually has a gorgeous face with strong bone structure... her Allure cover should have taken advantage of that...

8. zacatecas570

zacatecas570 Well-Known Member

I'm already tired of Adwoa, same face in very single editorial.

9. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

She has a small role in Ghost in the Shell and she´s MESMERIZING in motion... sadly, that doesn´t translate to print often. But this cover could have been better with a different background, at least.

10. HelaFav5

HelaFav5 Member

She has no allure at all!

11. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

There certainly wasn't the same hypocrisy. Or to be kinder, there weren't the same mixed messages.

Back then, the voice of the magazine said, "you want to know about the latest products and procedures... SO DO WE!" There was a general acceptance that it's OK to be interested in self-improvement and beauty standards, and to be a little vain, no matter your age.

Alongside that, there were articles about the more psychological side of self-identity, the relationship we have with the mirror, and all the memories that go towards how we form our image of ourselves.

The editorials also had non-white models featured in them long before Vogue started realising there are more people in the world than just Blake Lively. Allure quietly featured them without demanding a medal for it.

These days, I can buy this magazine for written content that's all about how I'm absolutely fantastic the way I am, and how important it is to resist all these beauty standards... printed in a vehicle specifically designed to sell me idealised alternatives to reality, and an endless array of products to help me change my appearance.

The cover-all-bases excuse for this contradiction is say, "it's all about CHOICE", as if you aren't capable of taking a step back to point out the bigger picture - that the ONLY point of this magazine's existence is to operate as a commercial product, targeting as wide a readership as possible, for the delivery of advertising that can then be traced as having a result on sales.

Conde Nast is not funding this magazine as a publication to liberate the women of the world from having to give a damn about what the world thinks of them. And if sales dry up, it certainly won't be distributing it as a freesheet.

I'm all for reading about a WIDER range of beauty concerns, practices, products and people. I would love Allure to evolve into being a publication where people could get enthusiastic about wonky eyelids from around the world, and all the ways to make them a little bit better.

You know, in that fantasy land where we rule the world and make ALL the decisions, Allure is the only magazine at which I ever wanted to be the editor. It was never Vogue... everyone else can be the editor of that.

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

The problem I have with Michelle Lee's Allure is their deluded sense of 'woke'-ness when in fact they're nothing but a second-rate copycat trailing other indie-style editions in the hope that they'd be bracketed with those titles. While still taking backhanders from L'oreal and Maybelline. Linda Wells had a vision, an unwavering one which didn't rely on whatever was on the streets. It's what gave the magazine authority. Lee however is applying a type of trendy Nylon sensibility to the magazine which I don't think will be sustainable. Fair enough, they reflect the political correctness that's so nauseating right now. But what happens when that's no longer in vogue? A new direction? That's exactly the type of disposable connotation which the beauty industry as a whole struggle with. And she's just blindly feeding into it.

13. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

AGE OF ADWOA
    Photographer: Daniel Jackson
    Stylist: Beth Fenton
    Hair: Esther Langham
    Make-Up: Hannah Murray
    Model: Adwoa Aboah

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Allure Digital Edition

14. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

CHEEK TO CHEEK
    Photographer: Nadine Ijewere
    Stylist: Coquito Cassibba
    Hair: Junya Nakashima
    Make-Up: Jen Myles
    Models: Angok Mayen, Kim & Salem Mitchell

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Allure Digital Edition

15. tigerrouge

Reading this through zinio, I've only just realised they retain Linda Wells' name on the masthead as Founding Editor. And in slightly bigger type below, Anna Wintour's name as Artistic Director. It's like a message to Michelle Lee that she shouldn't get any crazy ideas about actually being in charge of the magazine or anything.

16. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

I never, ever want to see a close up of Adwoa's teeth. Allure are so off-brand at this point its laughable

17. tigerrouge

There's next-to-no fashion content in this issue, let alone any real beauty features where we see a 'done' face, but I did enjoy the articles in this issue, no matter how short.

Because the focus is on skin, the magazine can't escape mentioning plastic surgery, although you can tell the editor isn't keen on promoting it, as no sooner is it touched upon, we skip past to a piece about someone accepting their moles. Although I wonder where the happy medium is, when there's also an article discussing the need to be aware of skin cancer. Is choosing to have your moles removed elective plastic surgery or essential self-care? There's also the inclusion of a feature about male beauty - celebrity 'grooming'. Not any pictures of the mentioned celebrities, though. Not enough pictures of good-looking people in general in this magazine.

18. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

Horrible cover. That is not a good look.

19. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

She is capable of some range-- not Kristen McMenamy, Genevieve Van Seenus, Mariacarla Boscono level of range... But she's capable.

It's the fault of the editors, creative directors and photographers who just shoot her so lazily. The blame for such timid, meek images is theirs entirely.

20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Ha, what an unlikely defender! Here I thought you deplore hype in any form. Because that's precisely how I see her.
    The only time Adwoa Aboah looked stellar was for a MJ beauty campaign. And maybe her Meisel shoot. That's it for me. I'd be prepared to believe your theory if her portfolio was limited, but no. Anyone else who'd have worked with the same diverse teams as her would've had greatest hits by now. I mean, she even worked with Sgura! Lol.

#20 Benn98, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: Mar 22, 2018