Allure August 2020 : Ali Krieger & Ashlyn Harris by Norman Jean Roy

Norman Jean Roy is one of my favorite photographers,and i don't know when was the last time he shot someone, did he left Vogue, Vanity Fair, Harper's Bazaar or was fired?

HEARTS IN THE GAME
Photographers: Norman Jean Roy
Stylist: Henna Koskinen
Hair: Rolando Beauchamp
Make-Up: Maki Ryoke
Models/Athletes: Ali Krieger & Ashlyn Harris

Allure Digital Edition

EYE MAX
Photographers:
Ben Hassett
Make-Up: Violette
Models: Santa, Lily Blattner, Nya Kong, Jolie Chang & Ciara Johnson

Allure Digital Edition

It's ok, I wish the girls showed a stronger connection with each other.

Flicking through this online, it's around 90 pgs.

What's on the front is a beautiful shot, but it's more like a still from a movie scene than a magazine cover. I suppose 2020 has been relentless in its efforts to redefine what we can expect to see on the front of a magazine.

The editor's letter is a black page with white writing about racism. She admits the stance the magazine has taken has alienated readers.

There are interesting articles in this issue, but... this magazine drinks deep from the internet, and if I wanted to spend my time reading that sort of writing, I'd go online where I can find an abundance of material on the subject, rather than the brief pieces in this publication. There are things this magazine does well, but it just doesn't do enough of them to justify its existence.

In general, in terms of Covid and pay cuts, we all know it's been difficult to produce certain types of magazine content - but none of that explains or excuses the sorry state of the writing in women's magazines at the moment, when words are cheap to produce and there's no shortage of new voices needing to be heard.

Aside from what's already been posted above, there's a series of portraits of people talking about how they do their black hair during lockdown, which is Allure doing something well - it's the perfect intersection between beauty and identity.

While I have to applaud Michelle Lee for running such a bold and positive cover image, it's a total miss for me and the outcome is flat. Allure is first and foremost a beauty magazine and the whole beauty angle is severely lacking here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->