Allure February 2019 : Serena Williams by Tanya & Zhenya Posternak

Like a retake of her recent Vanity Fair cover, except she kept her clothes on... the two covers could serve as a 'before and after' series.

Weird cover, not flattering at all. I love the dress and the ponytail, but her pose its not working.

Forgettable, unfortunately.

Wow, 2019 and Allure is still here.
If only magazines gave one of these covers Serena gets to Venus, that would be interesting to see.

So tired of Serena and her body covers. What does she have to say about shape that we've not heard before from her? It's almost as if this is her only currency.
There's a lot wrong with this one. Pose is contrived and overdone, colour pairing is all wrong, and the art direction looks amateur. Miss!

Serena’s ubiquity is obviously due to Anna’s ~cerulean-like~ trickle-down effect. I wouldn’t mind how overexposed she is if this cover is actually good. But it’s a combination of basic and pretentious (a profile shot for a cover? Well, it is exceptional~).

I think she looks super sexy at least she is a talented woman (sports-wise) and no just someone's daughter or wife.

I love her look. That's a great dress for her, but she's such a terrible model.
That pose is her go too stance. She also needs to take a break from fashion mags.
She has nothing new to say, and her thirst is tiresome.

So no one wants to point out how similar Serena's cover is to Beyonce's September cover (and the subsequent editorial)? People were so quick to point fingers at Glenda in the recent HB thread but have missed this. Not shocked.

I actually don't mind Michelle Lee as an EiC so this isn't an attack on her but you would think the CN CD would catch this. But she's just as lazily phoning it in just like Glenda, to be honest.

Fashion stylist: Jaime Kay Waxman
Hair: Vernon François
Makeup: Carlene K.
Manicure: Lila Robles

allure.com

Jeez I didn’t think Americans were that into tennis .. I mean is the newsstand even a consideration anymore at all? Where’s the glamour? Where’s the style? I don’t see how this will inspire anyone to go out and actually buy a magazine.

You’re right, @octoberchild! Cover-wise, I didn’t really catch the resemblance, but the blatant inspiration from Beyonce’s Editorial in September Vogue by Tyler Mitchell is uncanny in the editorial. This has Anna written all over it.

Last edited:
She's a GOAT ... good to see women's magazines recognizing and acknowledging greatness, talent and skill.

The set though is something else. Back in the day when you used to play photographer and photoshoots, a bed sheet was the way to do it! hahah. It is true that these days, consumers are drawn to hyper realness over things looking overproduced.

Yeah, the resemblance toward Beyonce's American Vogue cover shoot is downright embarrassing. It didn't even work in the first place and certainly doesn't work for Allure here. I've also become increasingly tired of seeing Serena Williams on magazine covers, and genuinely surprised at other people feeling the same way!

This seems to be viewable on zinio now... I'M GOING IN! What will I possibly learn about Serena that I haven't from the twenty previous profiles that I've seen over the past twelve months? At the back, on page 102, Karen Elson talks about her vanity. How will I make it through all these pages? I've got to get through Ashley Graham talking about body diversity.

Between Serena snd Ashley, is the theme of this issue: "late to the party"?

Nicole Kidman is in an ad for wrinkle cream. Otherwise, nice to see several Asian faces in beauty adverts - and as the only girl.

Someone has written a letter from their present self to their twentysomething self about their pubic hair - which she'd had lasered off during the time of George W Bush. The world has passed me by.

There's an article about current trends in plastic surgery (eg implant shape) that's more like the sort of content Allure used to carry, so it seems the editor has decided to go over to the dark side. After all, this IS the sort of stuff a lot of beauty-obsessed people want to read about. And selling an accept-yourself philosophy is not a sustainable approach for Allure, it's like wishing yourself out of existence.

There are also pieces on acne, DNA testing, Willow Smith models some perfumes, and there's neon make-up editorial that looks like every other indie make-up editorial that Allure has recently run. And I've arrived at Karen Elson and the end.

When's this reinvention happening?

Smell Good Everywhere, Always

Photographer: Renell Medrano
Stylist: Kirby Marzec
Hair: Takisha Sturdivant-Drew
Makeup: Mylah Morales
Manicure: Holly Falcone
Cast: Willow Smith

Allure Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads