Allure February 2020 : Billy Porter by Ben Hassett

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Jan 9, 2020.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Looks like a Gay Times cover. I should like this more but I don't. You've got the clashing fonts, the off eyebrow art, with a white masthead. Whose choice was that?

Is Billy the first man ever to cover Allure? Don't recall on in earlier years, not even as a couple.

aracic likes this.
  3. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

Agreed, completely. A missed opportunity.

4. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I welcome the idea that anyone who makes a statement with their fashion or beauty styling can appear on the cover of Allure - but the end product still has to be worth looking at to convince me to buy it.

The eyebrows remind me of the sheets of sticky geometric shapes that young children are encouraged to play with. If I put them on my face and went to work, that would also seem like a radical act.

5. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

I love Billy but I need him on the cover of GQ or Vanity Fair... not in a magazine that no one reads anymore.

0st3nd likes this.
  6. serendipity8777

serendipity8777 Well-Known Member

Photographer: Ben Hassett
    Stylist: Nicola Formichetti
    Groomer: Melissa DeZarate
    Makeup: Peter Philips
    Nails: Naomi Yasuda

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    allure.com

7. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Why does a man have to squeeze himself onto an Allure cover? How pointless.

8. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Really? You know it’s 2020. Not 1920.
    The art of beauty has no gender. Why can’t a man be on the cover of a beauty magazine?

9. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Make it stop.

10. jal718

jal718 Well-Known Member

Truly hideous

Nomar likes this.
  11. slayage

slayage Member

Beautiful. I love the artwork around his eyes.

12. slayage

slayage Member

Allure is a beauty magazine and the last time I checked, beauty has no gender. That’s why.
    It’s far from pointless, especially in today’s political climate, imo.

#12 slayage, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  13. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Sales would probably pick up if they started putting drag queens on the front. It might even achieve the status of a magazine with the power to offend people seeing it in the supermarket, like Cosmo.

14. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

6x^ & ^^ Yeah, beauty might not have gender, but last time I checked, Allure is a women's beauty magazine, so what feels pointless to me is to feature a man on it. I am a man myself, and I don't feel the need to be represented on a women's magazine by someone of my own gender. Does any man though?

Also, I understand why you believe a cover like this is important in regards to inclusion (he's a black man who wears dresses and the USA can be tough on guys like him), but I very much doubt he got this cover for his beauty (I believe handsomeness is the correct word) and/or talent. I am sure the reason lies in those few thousand likes this will generate on social media.

Still, this is just a magazine cover, so I won't make a fuss about it...

15. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Ok boomer. Moving on.

MissMagAddict and jorgepalomo like this.
  16. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Thanks, I shall remember to use this phrase once I run out of constructive arguments in a future conversation. :flower:

17. slayage

slayage Member

I partly get where you’re coming from but I don’t think labeling magazines as women’s or men’s is needed anymore nor is it healthy.
    It creates a very marginalized group of people who should appear on the covers or even read the actual magazines. And what about non-binary people? It’s not always that black and white. :angel:

That’s why I think it’s important for the likes of Billy Porter to grace covers because they represent different kind of people with their beauty and fashion choices, stretching the normal beauty standards a bit. Of course, social media and the attention it can possibly offer are important on choosing the cover stars nowadays but I consider Billy beautiful enough to appear on a beauty magazine solely for his beauty, too. :flower:

jorgepalomo, Srdjan, mikel and 2 others like this.
  18. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

I definitely feel like the gay in me should be quaking, but he's not. We both hate it!
    I love Billy a lot but clearly not enough to tolerate this buffoonery. Geometric cut-outs, neon lights and glitter... could they be any more basic? Imagine if they booked Pat to properly do a Galliano-esque full couture beauty look for Billy and dressed him in proper fashion not some cheap off-the-rack gimmicks. Now that would've been the art of beauty. This is just the art of men channeling their inner gay energy and perception on another man. And it's ugly!

jorgepalomo likes this.
  19. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

This is just a magazine cover, so I won't make a fuss about it :flower:

20. MON

MON Well-Known Member

A missed opportunity. They took Art in Beauty literally and that just screams laziness.

Women’s magazines have time and again featured men on their covers without any female subject. Vogue Korea, Vogue China, Vogue India, and Vogue Netherlands to name a few. Further, why can’t a man cover a women’s magazine, while it is perfectly acceptable for a man to be the EIC of a woman’s magazine?

GQ consistently puts women on their covers. I don’t see any complaints. A woman can be recognized by a men’s magazine as person of the year, while a gay man cannot be considered beautiful by a women’s magazine? Double standard really.

The world has moved on from gender stereotypes in magazine cover stars, and to continue to deny this is a choice.

jorgepalomo, TaylorBinque and dfl-001 like this.