Allure July 2019 : Ashley Graham by Vanina Sorrenti

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Jun 18, 2019.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

2. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

I don´t like the styling but I think this might be the first time I see a cover of her where her body doesn´t look too photoshoped... so I´ll give them that.

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Terrible hair and makeup! And I'm not sure whether the stylist is trying to go for late summer or autumn with that heavy jumper.

4. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

Hate the sweater but love the hair and makeup :smile:

5. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Allure - where shots that wouldn't even make it into a fashion editorial get chosen for the cover of a beauty magazine.

Given how inclusive this magazine tries to be, I wonder if some people will see this and get upset about the message of certain body types covering themselves up for summer.

6. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Its always the same for Ashley Graham.

I get and love what she’s trying to represent, but clearly there has to be more than that

Deleted member 130879 and Benn98 like this.
  7. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

A total flop and a missed opportunity. Ashley Graham has one of the most photogenic faces in the industry and Allure (a beauty magazine) decides to go for a body shot. Definitely not a pixel on the... say... subscribers cover of Harper's Bazaar Australia from April.

Although I feel like this is step in the right direction (sans the horrid blue eye makeup:(

8. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Flicking through the digital issue, it's around 98 pgs, the close-up shot of Ashley Graham is a "second cover" inside the issue. There are no fashion or beauty editorials, but there's a long portfolio/feature about women and representation, which starts with the Ashley feature and goes on to include people like Lindy West, Stacey Abrams, Greta Lee.

There's also an interview with Shay Mitchell, and a look at tattoos, the Bronner Brothers International Beauty Show, hypnotherapy, and the industry practices behind the clean beauty hype.

As ever with the new Allure - should the focus of a beauty magazine be about 'looking better' or 'being better'? While expanding our definitions of beauty is definitely a worthy endeavour, the desire to look better is what most people still yearn for, and it's what they'll pay money for. Given its reticence to embrace that aspect, in favour of telling everyone that "we're all OK the way we are", Allure is still on course to alienate its advertisers and wipe out its reason for existing.

Tauriel and Benn98 like this.
  9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

How To Rebuild An Empire

Photographer: Vanina Sorrenti
    Stylist: Alex White
    Hair: Bob Recine
    Makeup: James Kaliardos
    Cast: Ashley Graham

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Allure Digital Edition

Hermiola likes this.
  10. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

She looks stunning but I wish they hadnt used that shade of blue eyeshadow

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I was amazed to see that the back cover went to a company flogging hair dryers when in the past it went to the likes of EL and Yves Saint Laurent Beauty.

And Alex White's talents are truly wasted on this magazine. Especially with Vogue in peril.

12. SophiaVB

SophiaVB Well-Known Member

sorry but none of these people have anything to do with beauty

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I love Lindy West! She's very witty and outspoken, and along with Dodai Stewart and Jenna Sayers (AKA Tatiana, The Anonymous Model), used to be my favourite Jezebel contributors pre 2014. Lindy is actually known for her trademark red lip and porcelain makeup, which often looked like it was modelled more after Dracula than Snow White, something which made her more relevant to the magazine, but that wasn't mentioned. I wished they'd balanced that article with the 'feeling good' vs 'looking good' angle especially since these women aren't exactly beauty icons. They've done it with Gayle King, why not the rest?