Allure July 2019 : Ashley Graham by Vanina Sorrenti

I don´t like the styling but I think this might be the first time I see a cover of her where her body doesn´t look too photoshoped... so I´ll give them that.

Terrible hair and makeup! And I'm not sure whether the stylist is trying to go for late summer or autumn with that heavy jumper.

Hate the sweater but love the hair and makeup :smile:

Allure - where shots that wouldn't even make it into a fashion editorial get chosen for the cover of a beauty magazine.

Given how inclusive this magazine tries to be, I wonder if some people will see this and get upset about the message of certain body types covering themselves up for summer.

A total flop and a missed opportunity. Ashley Graham has one of the most photogenic faces in the industry and Allure (a beauty magazine) decides to go for a body shot. Definitely not a pixel on the... say... subscribers cover of Harper's Bazaar Australia from April.

Although I feel like this is step in the right direction (sans the horrid blue eye makeup:(

Flicking through the digital issue, it's around 98 pgs, the close-up shot of Ashley Graham is a "second cover" inside the issue. There are no fashion or beauty editorials, but there's a long portfolio/feature about women and representation, which starts with the Ashley feature and goes on to include people like Lindy West, Stacey Abrams, Greta Lee.

There's also an interview with Shay Mitchell, and a look at tattoos, the Bronner Brothers International Beauty Show, hypnotherapy, and the industry practices behind the clean beauty hype.

As ever with the new Allure - should the focus of a beauty magazine be about 'looking better' or 'being better'? While expanding our definitions of beauty is definitely a worthy endeavour, the desire to look better is what most people still yearn for, and it's what they'll pay money for. Given its reticence to embrace that aspect, in favour of telling everyone that "we're all OK the way we are", Allure is still on course to alienate its advertisers and wipe out its reason for existing.

How To Rebuild An Empire

Photographer: Vanina Sorrenti
Stylist: Alex White
Hair: Bob Recine
Makeup: James Kaliardos
Cast: Ashley Graham

Allure Digital Edition

She looks stunning but I wish they hadnt used that shade of blue eyeshadow

Allure is still on course to alienate its advertisers and wipe out its reason for existing.

I was amazed to see that the back cover went to a company flogging hair dryers when in the past it went to the likes of EL and Yves Saint Laurent Beauty.

And Alex White's talents are truly wasted on this magazine. Especially with Vogue in peril.

sorry but none of these people have anything to do with beauty

I love Lindy West! She's very witty and outspoken, and along with Dodai Stewart and Jenna Sayers (AKA Tatiana, The Anonymous Model), used to be my favourite Jezebel contributors pre 2014. Lindy is actually known for her trademark red lip and porcelain makeup, which often looked like it was modelled more after Dracula than Snow White, something which made her more relevant to the magazine, but that wasn't mentioned. I wished they'd balanced that article with the 'feeling good' vs 'looking good' angle especially since these women aren't exactly beauty icons. They've done it with Gayle King, why not the rest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"